What the hell is the difference between Overdrive and Distortion? sounds the same to me.
Originally Posted by Eric 666
if I had sex with my clone...I'd have a big dick in my ass.

Quote by Final !mpact
I mean 'Really Retarded' in the nicest way possible by the way.

Member 37 Of The RHCP fanclub.
Bruce Springsteen Fan?
My Myspace
The purpose of overdrive is to push an amplifier into distortion, usually while maintaining the tone of the amplifier, as opposed to distortion, which is just supposed to cause.........distortion. Overdrive clips the soundwave only slightly, whereas distortion clips it significantly. If you clip it enough, you can actually get a perfect square wave, which some fuzz pedals actually manage to accomplish.

Overdrive < Distortion < Fuzz
so whats better?

Quote by Final !mpact

Bruce Springsteen Fan?
My Myspace
Overdrive generally gives a warm, growling sound and distortion generally gives more of a harsh, screaming sound.
I actually prefer fuzz first, the only problem it is hard to get some good feedback when using fuzz.

As for what's better, it's really all in opinion.

For me:

Fuzz = Distortion >Overdrive
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
It was my understanding (and I may be wrong about this) but it seems like one would use overdrive mostly because they just...didn't have distortion. Or maybe they'd use much distortion and a small amount of overdrive to achieve a desired sound. Personally I'd say distortion is better, and seems to me that it creates a better sound.
Overdrive is caused by driving power tubes hard; distortion just emulates that sound.

So overdrive is basically 'the real thing'.
So basically you guys are saying that overdrive is just distortion but much better and more "realistic"?

well, i was wondering if you example bought a nice marshall jcm head and play with its "overdrive" its just basically a better distortion than the pedals like from boss??

Sorry if im trying to jack ur thread, but hey this might be interesting to u too @ threadstarter
it is, I just wanna know the diff and which is better

Quote by Final !mpact

Bruce Springsteen Fan?
My Myspace
I don't think you can truly say wich is 'better'. First of all 'cause there are a lot of different overdrives and distortions so it's quite hard to compare them all. And it's also just a mather of personal prefrence.
Quote by sylent
So basically you guys are saying that overdrive is just distortion but much better and more "realistic"?

well, i was wondering if you example bought a nice marshall jcm head and play with its "overdrive" its just basically a better distortion than the pedals like from boss??

Sorry if im trying to jack ur thread, but hey this might be interesting to u too @ threadstarter

YES, the JCM head will have a MUCH better distortion/overdrive than a Boss pedal.

All a distortion pedal does is try to replicate the sound of a very-overdriven tube amp. When it comes to BOSS pedals, basically the overdrive pedal will give you a less-distorted more creamy tone, where the distortion pedal is really just alot more overdrive.

You have to realize that one of the main reasons why everybody uses tube amps vs. solid state is because the "distortion" is real. With a solid state or BOSS pedal, your just mimicking the sound of the overdriven amp.
Sid Watts..... thanks for this answer. Appreciate it. Since im getting a ENGL head & cab
You don't use distortion with a tube amp, you use overdrive. Distortion is for **** solid states. By all means do use distortion on a tube amp but it will wear tubes down and you could get a much better tone useing overdrive and a tube amp
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
It's the difference in the clippings in the sound waves.
You can't say one is better than the other. It's all about preference.
eat sleep play guitar
its all preference... one type is not necissarily better than another.
heres the genres, and the most popular type...
classic rock (ac/dc, led zeppelin, black sabbath etc...) - overdrive (turn tube amp volume up all the way on clean channel, which used to be the ONLY channel on amplifiers, and the only way to get a dirty tone).
classic rock (beatles, Jimi Hendrix) - Fuzz (Jimi hendrix was one of the first guitarists to use fuzz boxes which simulated the "overdriven" sound of an amp... like above).
Metal (Metallica, Slipknot, Mudvayne etc...) - Distortion (Pedals, or modifications to an amplifier to produce a heavy, dark tone).

I hope that explains your question... theres not a BETTER type of dirty tone, just preference as to which sound you LIKE best, and type of music you're playing.

~Ludachris0606
Later in the evenin, as you lie awake in bed, hear the echoes of the amplifiers ringin' in your head, smoke the days last cigarette rememberin' what she said...
sometimes i like to use both distortion and overdrive at once, its like two chicks at the same time, just more plausible.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
^Sounds noisy.

Overdrive is a square wave-form, distortion is a sawtooth wave-form, and fuzz is, like, all over the place.
Quote by tabber666
You don't use distortion with a tube amp, you use overdrive. Distortion is for **** solid states. By all means do use distortion on a tube amp but it will wear tubes down and you could get a much better tone useing overdrive and a tube amp

What about things that you can't do with just the amp? For example the MXR Bluebox.
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
god... you guys are all saying the wrong thing. overdrive is just to drive the inside of the tubes up so that the tubes are hot and can make output. if the overdrive is stronger, the output of the tubes are gonna be stronger, so sounds more distorted. you have to have overdrive for a "tube" amp to run. as you turn the overdrive up, the sound will get distorted. distortion is more like an effect that you can only get from a solid state amp or from a effect pedal
then how do you explain high gain tube amps? doesn't it actually clip the signal?
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

So If you buy a tube amp, but you want a serious dark, heavy, metal tone, then you shoudl be using.......??

A distortion pedal like a metal zone,
or just a overdrive pedal in combination with the amps distorion and hope its powerfull enough for heavy muting etc. in down tuned guitars?

Am I missing something? Because my old guitar teacher had a seriously big and loud tube amp, but the distortion on htere was really nothing, it could hardly power my drop C guitar, where as a metal zone into a solid state amp can get more than enough distortion but not a very nice tone.
So could I use a tube amp with a MT and expect better tone than a solid state? Or is the point of tuube to only use a overdrive pedal and achieve distortion?

sorry about all the q's aonce again.
^ what i have been asking also. I got the metal zone too but it sucks on my solid state. I went to the guitar store, played a engl powerball with an marshall cab, and put on the ultra gain, (overdrive i think) and played metallica - creeping death and it sounded just like the album except im james or kirk in live also. And i played many other stuff. is it since ENGL is a brand for metal?? Just curious about that too.

This is what i think: IF you want that very heavy stuff, mesa, laney, engl, diezel etc that u dont need a pedal to make the distortion.

Marshall is needed for one since its not heavy enough for metal these days or heavy stuff basically.

Other brands: Same here i think
overdrive is basicaly a boost for the tone, its usually great for leads, and distortion for rhythm.

metal zone is actually a distortion so its not good for leads, you need a boost. the DS-1 is what you need, its an overdrive pedal..

and you can get overdrive from a solid state also
one should not feel threatened by opinions contrary to his own
So sylent.. im looking at a Peavey XXX or valveking, probably cant afford the XXX, so im thinking valveking.

You think what you are saying will hold true fo that amp too? Will it have good eough dist/overdrive built in to play heavy newer type metal?

I somehow doubt it.. im just sceptical it will give me the power i want..
Which to get depends on what you use as an amp. If you have a solid state amp whose distortion is underwhelming, you're best dropping a distortion pedal in front of it and running it thru the amp's clean channel. The distortion pedal then becomes your sole distortion source. Generally, overdrive pedals don't sound that great with solid state amps, because the high signal it pushed with super-saturate the signal deteriorating it to Marshall MG-style «bees in a jar» fuzziness with lots of extra noise. If you want a light bluesy drive, overdrive pedals are fine with solid state. You can also use them as a nice boost (with lot gain settings) for soloing. But beyond that, they're not too practical with solid state.

If you're using a tube amp that has slightly weak distortion, then an overdrive will suit it better. You use the overdrive to boost the signal to drive the amp's tube harder for more distortion. Essentially, it's used to push the tube amp's preamp section harder, but isn't meant to be the sole-source of distortion.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Elven_King
So sylent.. im looking at a Peavey XXX or valveking, probably cant afford the XXX, so im thinking valveking.

You think what you are saying will hold true fo that amp too? Will it have good eough dist/overdrive built in to play heavy newer type metal?

I somehow doubt it.. im just sceptical it will give me the power i want..

Umm, I have a valveking and I got an Ibanez tubescreamer because the disotortion isn't enough for metal. It's a great amp though. Buy it an the put an OD in front of it. Go try it out
My Gear:

Hey tabber - how's the Valveking for metal with the OD in front of it? I had a chance to try both combo and 1/2 stack versions of the Valveking. I loved the sound, but it's definatel more stuited for classic / hard rock than metal on its own. I assumed that an OD would help put it in metal territory. What's your opinion on it>
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Crunchmeister
Hey tabber - how's the Valveking for metal with the OD in front of it? I had a chance to try both combo and 1/2 stack versions of the Valveking. I loved the sound, but it's definatel more stuited for classic / hard rock than metal on its own. I assumed that an OD would help put it in metal territory. What's your opinion on it>

yeah I have the 1/2 stack and when I first got it, I thought it was crap. The sound was brilliant but didn't have enough distortion for metal. So I got a TS-9 and it's brilliant. Best amp ever!!
My Gear: