Poll: Does Price Determine Quality?
Poll Options
View poll results: Does Price Determine Quality?
Yes.
62 42%
No.
86 58%
Voters: 148.
Page 1 of 2
I've seen a lot of people on this board say things like "You get what you pay for" and "blank is good because it's expensive."

What do you guys think? Do you think that the price REALLY determines quality with guitars?

Vote away.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
With most big names, yes. But there the exceptions out there (Agiles for example)
EVERYONE (at least the n00bs I've asked) thinks that's true. That's why everyone thinks Gibson is the best and fender is dung on a stick.

Ibanez make great guitars for (relatively) low prices, especially compared to Gibson. Tokai were famous in the 70's for being better vintage reissues than Gibson's own for 1/10th of the price. Unfortunately, the law prevents you from doing that now...
Quote by sashki
EVERYONE (at least the n00bs I've asked) thinks that's true. That's why everyone thinks Gibson is the best and fender is dung on a stick.

Ibanez make great guitars for (relatively) low prices, especially compared to Gibson. Tokai were famous in the 70's for being better vintage reissues than Gibson's own for 1/10th of the price. Unfortunately, the law prevents you from doing that now...

well noone says you can't make a better guitar for 1/10th the price. They just say that you can't make a guitar that looks excatly the same as the more expensive one but has a different logo on it.

And today they realise that if they can make a guitar that good that its probably more profitable if they sell if for the full price
To an extent, yes. But a lot of the times you're paying for the name (Mesa Boogie anyone? (Holy f**k do I ever hate Mesa Boogie))
Quote by sashki

i've never played an ibanez comparable to a gibson ...well at least the cheaper ibanez's like your talking about.
Depends, but most of the time higher prices mean higher quality materials and parts, which means a better instrument.

Gibson = Paying for the name.
PRS = Paying for quality materials and hardware.
Luthier = Paying for quality materials and hardware.
Ibanez = Paying for quality materials and hardware.
Agile = Cheap.
Fender = Cheap but great, great guitars for the price.

The reason Fenders are so cheap is because the bodies are usually alder (cheap, but high grade woods), maple necks and they're simple to machine and cut. Not to mention the high tech equiptment the Fender factories use help cut down on costs. Come on, the stratocaster has to be THE simplest guitar to build.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Last edited by AlGeeEater at May 14, 2006,
Most of the time, yes.
Quote by americnidiot
why the f*** does that guy have a KFC bucket on his head?

Quote by slashnmash
its buckethead dummy!
Quote by Danno13
No, but it gives a ballpark...

seconded.

no-one's going to sell something (new) under cost, or the company/shop would go bankrupt.

But at the same time, the capitalist system says that you should be free to charge what you like, so if people will pay $1500 for something that says "Gibson", even though it's worth $1000, the shops'll do that.

basically what algee said then (apart from the agile bit, because I haven't tried them).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Unforgivable
never, look at a jackson rr3 compared to a gibson les paul. Although the gibson les paul is good, the RR3 just pwns it

They're uncomparable, completely different guitars.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
^ +1.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sorry to stray off topic a bit, but AlGee, did you go to Rondo Music?

On topic, I was surprised a few weeks ago when I was looking at a Washburn (WI66PRO) and say that it's specs were actually better than a Gibson LP Standard's. Mahogany body, solid maple top, single piece mahogany set neck, Grover tuners, and Seymore Duncan pickups. I'm sure that the wood isn't the same quality, but still. A $600 guitar shouldn't even compare to a $2200 guitar.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^ the washburn is assembled in Korea, and probably uses lower quality woods...

plus it doesn't say gibson on it...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Xenn99
Sorry to stray off topic a bit, but AlGee, did you go to Rondo Music?

No they're closed on Sundays, I thought when I posted yesterday it was Friday I'll go tomr. after school.
Lets look at the raw facts here, people think Gibsons are God because they see people like Slash endorsing them, its "fashionable" to idolize Gibsons.

I think Ibanez guitars are great and cheap, i have an Artcore and its b*tching. Squires are extreamly versatile, ok there poorly made but hey, £100 for an electric guitar like a Squire? Why the hell not!
^Be sure to post what you think AlGee!

Also, the Washburn is made in Korea, but still. It shouldn't even compare, let alone exceed, a Gibson in some specs.

Even then for a bit more you can get a Washburn PI70, which is American made.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^ i disagree.

that's a bit like saying "a lada for £4000. But a Ferrarri has wheels too, the lada shouldn't have any wheels!"...

ok, that's an overstatement, but you know what I mean. Most of the time, once you get up to a price that'll get you a decent instrument (say £400), and increase in price will only buy you slight improvements.

But those slight improvements are what change the guitar from "meh" or "decent" to "awesome".

IMO.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No.

One word: Gibson

I mean most of the time, the higher the price, the better your guitar should be, but I mean nowadays its not about quality its the name.

Same with people walking around with those stupid ass Ambercrombie & Fitch clothes, you're a walking advertisement, you spend $40 on a shirt that'll keep you just as much less-naked than a cheapy $9 shopko shirt.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
Last edited by AngilasGuy at May 14, 2006,
Quote by AngilasGuy
No.

One word: Gibson

I mean most of the time, the higher the price, the better your guitar should be, but I mean nowadays its not about quality its the name.

Same with people walking around with those stupid ass Ambercrombie & Fitch clothes, you're a walking advertisement, you spend $40 on a shirt that'll keep you just as much less-naked than a cheapy $9 shopko shirt.

Yeah, but with A&F i'll be less naked with a second mortage. Which is so much better than the regular less naked.
It really depends.

Once you get a certain point, then it makes next to no difference, it's all down to taste.

Below that... The jump is more noticable.

For example, the difference between a $100 guitar, and a $200 guitar,
compared to the difference between a $1100 guitar, and an $1200 guitar.

It's fashionable on these boards to slam Gibson constantly for their prices... But I say that if you want a Gibson, then don't settle for less. If you want an Agile, then buy an Agile. But if you want a Gibson, don't settle for an Agile.

Most of all, price can only give you rough estimates. Two guitars at exactly the same price from exactly the same range can be different enough to make or break a sale.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Yeah, but with A&F i'll be less naked with a second mortage. Which is so much better than the regular less naked.

and as an added bonus you also look like a douchbag...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No just look at low end gibsons

My Mexican Fat Strat which was four hundred dollars kicks the crap out of ANY Les Paul Special or Faded SG I have ever played and both of those are twice the price.

They get away with robbing people like that because they are made in america.
Quote by Ihearthetfield
My Mexican Fat Strat which was four hundred dollars kicks the crap out of ANY Les Paul Special or Faded SG I have ever played and both of those are twice the price.

They get away with robbing people like that because they are made in america.

Not comparable, again.

No, that's utter bull**** and ignorant. They rob people because of there name is Gibson. They can get away with making 1,000$ on every guitar they sell. I hate Gibson, but to say that they rob people because they're in America is the biggest pile of hot stinkin' poop.
Price, to me anyway, determines what a guitar SHOULD be, not what it is quality wise.

LP std.= not worth the price in my eyes
Fender=Completely worth it.

Just my thought on the deal.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Quote by Dave_Mc

that's a bit like saying "a lada for £4000. But a Ferrarri has wheels too, the lada shouldn't have any wheels!"...

I like vintage Ladas. It's funny that you mention Ferrari. When the original Lada Model 01 came out on the Soviet market in the early 70's they came with italian-built Fiat engines. These were good no-nonsense compact cars that lasted their owners for up to 20 years.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Last edited by Armored Artist at May 14, 2006,
^ interesting. and pwnt. or actually, possibly backing up what I said. either way...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Thank you ever so kindly for that bit of completely useless information Armored Artist.

On topic, I really find it disgusting that Gibson can charge so much money for a name. You see "lower-end" companies make great guitars (PRS, Ibanez, Washburn, etc.) Yet they're ignored a lot because it doesn't say "Gibson" on their headstocks. It's pathetic.

Next time I go to Guitar Center I'm going to sit down and test guitar after guitar. I really want to see how many of these "low-end" guitars actually surpass the LP standard. My guess: quite a few.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
i think part of the cost is in the fact that gibsons and fenders will still be around for quite a while, and if they don't that would make them even more expensive. they are guitars that go up in price with time, wheras ibanez and the like won't be worth as much in 20 years, maybe a little bit more than what they are now. gibsons and fenders can gain several thousand over a few decades.

gibsons are the greatest guitars i have ever played, and i've played quite a few. i'm saving up right now for a custom shop 335 actually, should have enough for it in about a month.
I've played a few Gibsons, and honestly the one that impressed me the most was a used Faded Studio. If I would have had $800 to spare at the time I would have bought it. I liked it better than the Standard and Classic I tried that day. It was just one of those guitars that sounds great and feels great.

I'm not saying that Gibson sucks. I like Gibson, but there are a lot of duds out there. For the $2200 that Standards cost, there should be very, very few duds. If any.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Yes and No, and No only from experience seeing that my S520WNF cost my $355 on ebay and it listed 500-something in 2001 when it was made, but it's probably one of the best guitars i've ever played. Wizard Neck with bubinga binding and Edge tremolo stock.
Quote by StaggHound
As I've said... It's very fashionable here to bash Gibson based on their prices.

Well you don't see people bashing PRS based on their prices, do you?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^Becuase PRS' are prettier. They look like they're more expensive/worth the money. Also they haven't been around that long, and they don't have the QC issues Gibson does.
Page 1 of 2