ive been playing for like a year and 5 months now and i can play ok but ive never managed to grasp anything other than how to read a tab...i just wanna know where to start when it comes to scales and improv and all that jazz. kinda annoying being baffled by all this stuff all the time.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

I used to hate chavs until my sister got a smack in the mouth from one. Now I love them.
If you don't know intervals yet, you might want to start off with those so you can understand scales better. Start off with the major and minor scale and then learn the pentatonics.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
2.1 - Interval guide.
This is an easy reference chart to look at for naming intervals. This example is in the key of C, for simplicity, but can be applied to any root note to find the intervals of that key.

Interval | Name | Note.(In C)
-----------------------------------------------
1 | Unison (root note) | C
b2 | Minor Second | Db
2 | Major Second | D
#2 | Sharp Second | D#
b3 | Minor Third | Eb
3 | Major Third | E
4 | Perfect Fourth | F
#4 | Augmented Fourth | F#
b5 | Diminished Fifth | Gb
5 | Perfect Fifth | G
#5 | Augmented Fifth | G#
b6 | Minor Sixth | Ab
6 | Major Sixth | A
#6 | Sharp Sixth | A#
bb7 | Diminished Seventh | A
b7 | Minor Seventh | Bb
7 | Major Seventh | B
8 | Unison (Octave higher) | C
b9 | Minor Ninth | Db
9 | Major Ninth | D
#9 | Sharp Ninth | D#
------------------------------------------------

taken from this lesson: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html

-----------------------------

...how is that easy? i dont understand any of it...please somebody help me before i go crazy
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

I used to hate chavs until my sister got a smack in the mouth from one. Now I love them.