Page 1 of 2
ok i can't decide what guitar i want! i hav a epi les paul custom right now but i wanna upfrade. heres what i was thinkin.

ibanez jem7v

ibanez sz320

schecter c-1 elite

epi elitist les paul custom

gibson les paul gt

i also can't decide on an amp. it's between

mesa dual recto

marshall dsl 100

marshall jcm 900 4100.

i'm leanin towards the 900. i play mainlt my chemical romance, a7x, metallica, trivium, HIM,turbonegro,yngwie. is the jem moe of a shred guitar?
Last edited by VoodooMagic_69 at May 14, 2006,
all of that equipment is great. you cant really go wrong
but for your music preference id say the jem and the mesa amp
Les Paul and Mesa.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Jem and Mesa.
GEAR:
Washburn x10 "Washy"
Ibanez S470DXQM "Kimberly"
BC Rich NJ strat "Sydney"
Roland Cube 60
Vox V847
Boss OD1
Boss CE2
Digitech Death Metal
Russian Big Muff PI
DOD Deth Metal
Ibanez SM9
Jem and mesa, you wont regret it.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
wow, ok can somebody tell me whats so good about the jem? by guitar teacher has one and for somereason it makes me think it's more of a shredding guitar. correct me if i'm wrong.. and is the gibson gt les paul any good? they say it's built tough so whats that mean? did thye put stronger stuff on it or what. and with the mesa can i get an mcr tone outta it. along with thte other bands i mentioned
^Jem is a shredding guitar per se but it can do other stuff wonderfully. However if you are switching tunings look into buying a Tremel-no or a guitar witout a a FR. The gt was ok.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
what would the jem sound like if i put a duncan sh05 custom in the brisge and a duncan invader in the neck? and is the jem better than the elitist and the gt? is it worth it's price if vai's name wasn't on it?
JEm IMO is better than the les paul but... Please dont put in an Invader...that would just kill it. THe custom is good tho. If it didnt have Vai's name it would be i guess somewhere from 1200-1700..
mesa dual recto and either schecter C-1 CLASSIC or pre 99 Gibson Les Paul. Used of course but it wil be better quality anyways.
^its not a very articulate pickup. Vey muddy and noisey. There are Far better out there for the price and the "output". GT has a push pull pot system for coil tapping .
the Jem with the Mesa
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

Based on your style, I'd go for the JEM. It's such a eye candy and the playability and the versatility of the guitar is simply amazing.
For an amp, I'd advise something not in that list - The Joe Satriani Peavey amp. Read reviews of it to see for your self - it's certainly on my no. 1 amp list.
eat sleep play guitar
Why not just save your money and upgrade the pups in your Epi? My Epi plays and sounds as nice as any of those.

Get Mesa!

When I see someone playing a Jem I think of a cliche' Vai wanna-b.

I like LP's because they are original and have character.

Who knows... maybe you'll make a good Vai wanna-b? (I hate sig guitars.)
ya, same here, i'mnot a van of sig guitars. but the jem looks friggin awesome. and i don't think les pauls are original cause everybody has one. but, theres a reason for that, they are awesome. but i think i'm gonna keep the epi and upfrade the pups and get the jem so i have 2 guitars. plus one with a trem.

and so far people are sayin mesa dual recto. i didn't get to long with it but from what i heard it sounded sweet. i like the solo feature to. it;s ethier the dual recto or jcm 900. but now i'm leanin towards the recto. and i was thinkin avatar cab. like the one ibanez4life has. it looked good.

o and one thing that i find funny i'm intrested in the vai sig guitar yet i have never actully heard a song by him. but i like the look of the guitar
Vai is soloist... his music (if you wish to call it that) is very technical and complicated... but it all comes from the muscle of his fingers; not from the passion of his heart.

If I had to describe him, I'd say he's a "smart dummy". Personally, I have no use for him or his style of play. It's obnoxious; not pleasant!
Quote by Chazzy29
Vai is soloist... his music (if you wish to call it that) is very technical and complicated... but it all comes from the muscle of his fingers; not from the passion of his heart.

If I had to describe him, I'd say he's a "smart dummy". Personally, I have no use for him or his style of play. It's obnoxious; not pleasant!

Listen to "For the Love of God" then go fuck off.

Voodoo Magic, go for the Mesa Boogie. It's the best amp there.

As for the guitars, bro you're in weird price ranges.

ibanez jem7v - 2 grand

ibanez sz320 - 400?

schecter c-1 elite - 600?

epi elitist les paul custom - 900

gibson les paul gt - 1700

I think the Schecter is a really good guitar for the money, as is the elitist probably, and if you like it/want to solo/can afford it, JEMs are very good.

The Gibson is a waste of money IMO, and the 320 is way low end compared to the others.
haha
i don't know if it will help. but my favotite guitarists are frank iero from mcr, and synester gates, from avenged sevenfold. so if you combine those two you can get an idea of my stlye. i know syn uses a white schecter and frank uses a white elitist. and i already have a white les paul. so thats why i was thinkin jem. plus my guitar teacher has one and it's so friggin sweat. and it sounds good too (through a roland cube so image in a dual recto )

how much are gibson les paul supremes. yes the price ranges are a little outta wack but i want new gear thats gonna last me a long long time.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Listen to "For the Love of God" then go fuck off.

It sucked just like everything else he's ever done.. there is no soul and no heart to that garbage.

There is more to music than bends and scales on a guitar... and his drum machine and digital bass rhythm suck!

Quote by VoodooMagic_69
so if i got the jem would the pickups suit my stlye or should i replace them?

@ $2grand guitar.... I would certainly hope so.

Remember, you're paying $500 for the guitar and $1500 for the name.
if your only gonna play mcr and easy emo power chord based stuff don't waste your money on a killer guitar...get a cheaper guitar and just get a better amp. you could play a squier bullet through a good amp and sound like that kind of music.

actually you don't even need a good amp for that style of music...its all just super high gain stuff you can get from a cheap solidstate.
bonchie1-i don't just play mcr, i also mly a7x,trivium,metallica,turbonegro,HIM,the used,the misfits.from forst to last,soad,cky
Quote by VoodooMagic_69
bonchie1-i don't just play mcr, i also mly a7x,trivium,metallica,turbonegro,HIM,the used,the misfits.from forst to last,soad,cky

well if you play metallica the 900 is what you want. its got alot of high gain especailly with a pedal.

i was just speaking if you only played emo music...if you did i did'nt want you to waste a bunch of money on a tube amp when all you'd need is a solidstate with alot of gain. tube amps are known for there punch and picking dynamics...power chords don't really utilize these things.
Quote by Chazzy29
@ $2grand guitar.... I would certainly hope so.

Remember, you're paying $500 for the guitar and $1500 for the name.

JEMs have no name on them.

And I'd say it's about the opposite, 1700 for the great guitar, and 300 for the celebrity backing it has.
haha
even with the short time with the recto i could still get a good metallica sound outta it. i think thats the one i'm gettin caus epeople say it's versitile and such, and i think i'm gonna go for the jem.
Quote by VoodooMagic_69
even with the short time with the recto i could still get a good metallica sound outta it. i think thats the one i'm gettin caus epeople say it's versitile and such, and i think i'm gonna go for the jem.

don't get me wrong...mesas are increditable amps..but i hear they can't quite reach the super high gain your looking for...but if you played it and like it...get the sucker...its a killer amp
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
I just don't understand why someone would want to pay $2000 for a sig guitar unless they are touring around the world making Millions of dollars doing Vai covers...

Ibanez makes a ton of brilliant guitars, what makes Jem so special other than the name and the little handle that we all need on a $2000 guitar?
Quote by Chazzy29
I just don't understand why someone would want to pay $2000 for a sig guitar unless they are touring around the world making Millions of dollars doing Vai covers...

Ibanez makes a ton of brilliant guitars, what makes Jem so special other than the name and the little handle that we all need on a $2000 guitar?

imo he doesn't need that kind of guitar for what he plays...its way overkill to me.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
How many types of guitars have you tested at a music store?
les pauls and strats. i like the sound of a les paul but like the weight of a strat. i donm't really like weird shapes like v's or explorers
Quote by VoodooMagic_69
les pauls and strats. i like the sound of a les paul but like the weight of a strat. i donm't really like weird shapes like v's or explorers

you asked what i think you should get...well for that kind of music...i'd say a les paul is your best bet. all the bands you listed use them i believe. i'd say get an epi les paul and change the pickups to what you like best. it'll do fine for stuff like mcr etc. you don't need the fast neck of a gibson classic because your obviously not soloing or shredding.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Then you want a fat sound with lots of sustain and tight action

[url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=519986]The Ibanez 2005 SZ720FM Electric Guitar has thru-body staggered stringing for superior tonal balance, feel, articulation, and sustain. The 3-piece set-in neck coupled with the Gibraltar III bridge offers enhanced sustain, simplicity, longer string life, and playing comfort. A gorgeous flamed maple-topped body with fat mahogany tone. A shorter 25-1/10" scale gives it a different feel from other S guitars. Armed with tonally versatile Duncan Designed IBZ1 and IBZ2 pickups combined with the Special-5 switching system. Body and neck binding. Medium frets. Flame inlay at the 12th fret.
Page 1 of 2