Righty. I've added a section to the info sticky (myths debunked or some such lark). that thread is closed, so as not to mess it up before it's finished, but if you disagree or think I'm saying something controversial, please post in here. Here's the link (scroll to the bottom): https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278232

Now, on to the next bit. I want to do a similar type info thingy on cabs and speakers. The problem: I know jack about cabs and speakers. That's where you guys come in. I need recommendations and/or other info!

Here's what I have so far (I've already got some help from Power Freak and Mascot on this so far):

Speakers and Speaker Cabinets (?Cabs?)

Ok, so this is going to be kind of short, since I don?t know much about speakers. It?s very much going to be a ?Speakers and Cabs 101? rather than anything much deeper.

Size of Speakers

Generally, speakers for guitar amps come in 8?, 10?, 12? and 15?. The bigger, the more bass response you get. 15? tend to be used for bass amps. 12? speakers are used in cabs for most rock and metal amps. 10? are used in some blues amps (Fenders, for example), and 8? tend to be used in cheaper, smaller practice amps. 8? aren?t great, to be honest- they sound too ?small?. 4x12 means a cab with 4 12-inch speakers.

Wattage of Speakers

You need to make sure your cab is rated highly enough for your amp head (if you buy a combo, the speaker should be rated highly enough). For example, if your amp head is 100W, you need to make sure your cab is rated at least 100W. At 100W, you may begin to get some speaker distortion at higher levels. Some people like speaker distortion in their tone, some don?t. The rating of the cab is the sum of the wattage of all the speakers, and this is halved for stereo operation (e.g. a 4x12 cab with Celestion Vintage 30?s rated at 60W each is rated altogether at 240W Mono, and 120W stereo (I think)).

Closed Back versus Open-Back

As far as I know, closed back has a little more bass, and is a little tighter. Better for rock and metal tones. Open back is better for blues.

Angled/Slanted versus Straight Cabs

If you get a full stack (two 4x12?s) you normally get one of each- but suppose you only need/want/can afford a half stack? Angled/Slanted or straight? Angled project the noise upwards better, while straight cabs have more bass. Angled looks cooler IMO, but that shouldn?t matter .

How to match your amp to a cab with the correct impedance.

Electrical impedance is measured in ohms (W). If you want to attach a speaker cab to a head or combo, you have to match up the ohms of the input. Most amps have a selector which lets you choose between 4, 8 and 16 ohms. If you have one cab, it?s simple. Connect your cab (using a speaker cable) to the speaker input and set the impedance to the correct impedance. If you have two cabs, link them with a speaker cable, connect your cab to the amp, and set the impedance to HALF the cabs? impedance. Example: one 16 ohm cab, set the amp?s impedance to 16 ohms. TWO 16 ohm cabs (linked), set the impedance to 8 OHMS.

Specific Speaker/Cab recommendations

Bear with me, I?m not too well up on speakers/cabs. Bear in mind that any cheap (sub £300) cab/combo which has supposedly ?Custom voiced speakers designed in collaboration with X Company? are custom voiced to be as cheap as possible no matter how crappy they sound.

Speaker Recommendations

Major Speaker manufacturers include Celestion, Eminence, Jensen, and Fane.

Celestions:

Greenback: Slightly scooped vintage Marshall-y tone.

Vintage 30: clear sounding, versatile. Great for high gain, good for classic tones too. Confusingly rated at 60W, not 30.

Alnico Blues: the classic speaker for a Vox AC30. Only rated at 15W, so be careful!

Eminence:

Jensen:

Fane:

Cab Recommendations

Cheap (between £300/$500 and £500/$800)

Avatar Cabs (USA only): You can mix and match speakers. Supposedly excellent value, but don?t compare to boutique cabs.

Laney TT412A/S: cheapest Vintage 30-loaded 4x12 cab that I know of in the UK. I have one.

Marshall 1960/1960V: warm Marshall tone- sound great with Marshall-y classic rock amps, perhaps a little muddy with High Gain metal amps. The ?V? signifies Celestion Vintage 30 speakers.

Expensive (over £500/$800)

Mesa Rectifier: dark sounding, metal sounding. Built like a tank. Vintage 30-loaded.

older Mesa Mark Cabs: I think electrik said these ones were good

Engl Vintage and XXL: Built even more like a tank the recto cabs, extreme amount of bottom end for metal (especially the XXL). Super-heavy (in weight). Vintage 30-loaded.

Bogner Ubercab: Supposed to be excellent. Vintage 30-loaded.

Framus: Metal orientated cabs. Vintage 30 or Greenback-loaded.

Cornford: More rock sounding. Vintage 30-loaded.

Orange: More rock sounding. Vintage 30-loaded.

Ear Candy: again, I think electrik said these ones were good

Vader: again, I think electrik said these ones were good

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any help appreciated!

I'll be needing your help again soon on the pickup one!

EDIT: as you can tell, I know a lot about Jensen, Eminence, and Fane speakers...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
bump!

come on, somebody's gotta know somethin'...

failing that, I'll just be putting it up with links to the speaker companies' websites...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
looks great Dave!

might want to add that you never run an amp without some kind of load impedance hooked up, whether it's SS or tube. Also might want to mention safe mismatches, where your cab impedance is higher than the amp. Supposedly a slight mismatch can provide a darker smoother tone with a little less output and attack, the result of the amplifier running cooler.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
2: Double the wattage is twice the volume.

It?s not. It?s noticeably louder (about 15%, if I remember correctly), but certainly not twice as loud. You need TEN times the wattage to be twice as loud, so a 100 watt amp, all things being equal, is twice as loud. Also, speaker efficiency makes a major difference to loudness, sometimes more so that wattage.
Maybe you could include the equation for those that are interested - If the biger amp is amp 1, and the smaller amp is amp 2, then 10[log(Power of amp 1/Power of amp 2)] = the number of decibels louder the bigger amp is - everything else constant of course

The rest is great
id sig you but i have no room lol. so ill just bow down to your username

deg0ey
Member of UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
9: Hybrid technology sucks

I agree, it?s a marketing scam, but this doesn?t mean it always sucks. The Vox Valvetronix amps, from what I hear, are very good for what they are, and they?re hybrid. Basically, judge an amp on its merits, not the technology involved- if it sucks, it?s probably not because it?s a hybrid, and if it?s great, it?s probably not because it?s a hybrid either.

You seem to change your mind on this subject halfway through. To paraphrase: At first you agree that it sucks and it's a marketing scam then you say the if it's just a marketing scam and probably makes no difference. That's the impression I got anyway.

But I agree with the second part: It's more of a ploy than a scam but that shouldn't affect whether you like the tone or not. I have the Randall RG100 G3 and it's a hybrid. I think it sounds amazing but I don't say it's because it's a hybrid. It just sounds great, period.

P.S. Great info on speakers/cabs
Last edited by spoonfulofshred at May 15, 2006,
Quote by Erock503
looks great Dave!

might want to add that you never run an amp without some kind of load impedance hooked up, whether it's SS or tube. Also might want to mention safe mismatches, where your cab impedance is higher than the amp. Supposedly a slight mismatch can provide a darker smoother tone with a little less output and attack, the result of the amplifier running cooler.

I think I have it earlier in the info, not to turn on an amp without a load attached. I'll check though.

Quote by deg0ey
Maybe you could include the equation for those that are interested - If the biger amp is amp 1, and the smaller amp is amp 2, then 10[log(Power of amp 1/Power of amp 2)] = the number of decibels louder the bigger amp is - everything else constant of course

The rest is great

I'll try to add that. How many decibels louder is "twice the volume"? 6db? I have no idea, lol.

Spoonful of shred: i agree with danno- I'm trying to dispel the myth, not decide whether it does or not. i agree it's a little ambiguous though.

anyone know anything about speakers?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
lol 10dB is twice the volume because it's a logarithmic scale
a difference of 3:
is the minimum the average person can notice (if A-B ing it)
5 - 7 is a considerable difference and
10 is about double...

Edit: common misconception around here, 3dB is the difference you get by doubling the power, but it's not twice as loud

deg0ey
^ ok. why'd i hear 6 then? I think marshall said their mode 4's solo function was 6db, or "twice the volume".

I'll wait till i hear from lewis or someone, just to check.

Oh, and erock, i added a bit to "amp 101" to not run an amp without a load/speaker.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ yeah feel free to check, but i'm fairly certain i'm right - did it in physics before christmas, but it's possible i remember incorrectly

deg0ey
Oh okay. I see what you're saying. I think was just how you said it that confused me. The title is Hybrid Technology sucks then the first thing you say is "I agree." It just looks like you're agreeing with the myth that hybrid technology sucks. Reading it again, I take it you meant that you agree with the idea that's it a marketing scam. It could just be clearer is all I'm saying. Maybe I'm just a little defensive cuz I love my hybrid
^ i know how to fix it, i'll remove the first comma. Damn punctuation! that should sort it out...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Could you include an impedance section about '2 cabs' and all that jazz?

Edit: I see you got that already....
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
^

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
g12h celestion are supposed be really good speakers as well, but more for a cleaner sound.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
^ ok, thanks!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?