I've been wanting to boost my lead playing, but learning other peoples solos isnt quite enough, especially sine they require knowing scales to play properly anyway.

Problem is, I just dont get how to read scales ...well, i see tabs but they only ever cover like a few frets...how do you play a scale from like top of the neck to the bottom of it etc?

I already know some basic scales, but as I said they only cover a few frets...so if anyone can help me with playing scales up the ntire neck I'd be greatfull!

cheers people!

RiK!!!! \m/
Quote by Rik056
I've been wanting to boost my lead playing, but learning other peoples solos isnt quite enough, especially sine they require knowing scales to play properly anyway.

Problem is, I just dont get how to read scales ...well, i see tabs but they only ever cover like a few frets...how do you play a scale from like top of the neck to the bottom of it etc?

I already know some basic scales, but as I said they only cover a few frets...so if anyone can help me with playing scales up the ntire neck I'd be greatfull!

cheers people!

RiK!!!! \m/

Alright. If you take the E minor pentatonic scale. The notes in it are E G A D B E. So every fret on the fretboard that is that note will be in the E minor pentatonic scale.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
This is the longest scale I know. I believe it's a major pentatonic scale, but dotn quote me.

Also a good way to combine scales is to repeat the scale pattern 2 and a 1/2 steps higher up. i.e fret 7 - fret 12 step = 2 fret. basically this is like striking E then A
or

A ---0-
E -0---

e ---------------------------------8-10---
b ------------------------6-8-10---
g --------------------5-7---
D -------------3-5-7---
A --------3-5---
E -1-3-5---

another version.

e ------------------------------6-8-10-
b -------------------------6-8----
g ------------------3-5-7---
D -------------3-5----
A ------1-3-5---
E -1-3---

I love solo's / scales more than rythmn. so I know a decent few.
e -------15^1-
b ----13-------
g -14----------
Guitarseek.com has scales on it try looking, if you're into metal and rock Locrian, Pryghian and Dorian(or Minor) will do
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club