Ok, this may be wierd but often sometimes I will associate keys with colors, kind of like moods. And I was wondering what colors you all would associate with certain keys, or like what you see when you close your eyes and hear a certain chord.

This may be lame, but I think its interesting when I try to really create and develop a mood/tone for a song. So if you all could help me with your ideas and interpretations I would be cool

For Ex: I find that A and subsequent chords like Am to remind me of green, bc to me it seems to be exotic and mysterious, creative and kind of like a forest... you know stuff like that.

So what would you associate, what do you see when you close your eyes and hear, If anything comes to mind, id be grateful. Thanks.
I thought I was the only one
A: Green
C: Red
G: A dull yellowish
B: Blue

In fact, I can always tell when a riff or song im working is going to turn out ok because it reminds me of the color white.
I do it for nearly everything. Well, it's not really somehting that I do; it just kinda happens.

I also printed a note map of the guitar neck for my students in the colours that I see the notes as.
Quote by Playdoh14
Ok, this may be wierd but often sometimes I will associate keys with colors, kind of like moods. And I was wondering what colors you all would associate with certain keys, or like what you see when you close your eyes and hear a certain chord.

This may be lame, but I think its interesting when I try to really create and develop a mood/tone for a song. So if you all could help me with your ideas and interpretations I would be cool

For Ex: I find that A and subsequent chords like Am to remind me of green, bc to me it seems to be exotic and mysterious, creative and kind of like a forest... you know stuff like that.

So what would you associate, what do you see when you close your eyes and hear, If anything comes to mind, id be grateful. Thanks.

WOW. I had no idea that I wasn't the only one who did this.

G: Brown
Am: Orange
D: White
A: Tan
E: Brown
Em: Dark Blue

I actually find myself relating more of the sound of the music, not just the key. For example, alternative rock sounds (espescially RHCP's album "Californication") reminds me of orange. Usually orange in the context of an orange sky/sunset.

Bands like AC/DC bring black and silver into my mind.

Indie rock sounds usually brings colors like Dark blue, grey, and black to my head.

Country (ew) always brings brown into my head.

Skate/Surf/Ska punk brings a bright but faded blue/green into my head
I actually find myself relating more of the sound of the music, not just the key. For example, alternative rock sounds (espescially RHCP's album "Californication") reminds me of orange. Usually orange in the context of an orange sky/sunset.

Bands like AC/DC bring black and silver into my mind.

Indie rock sounds usually brings colors like Dark blue, grey, and black to my head.

Country (ew) always brings brown into my head.

Skate/Surf/Ska punk brings a bright but faded blue/green into my head

I've actually grouped my playlist together based on the colors the songs bring to mind. e.g. Metallica's Blackened brings to mind the colors black and gray, Fade to Black brings to mind black and yellow, Vai's Building the Church reminds me of purple.
I dont associate musical keys with any particular colour, but certain chords and sounds evoke a colour as well as a visual texture, if that makes sense.
it makes me sad that i cant do that, its supposed to make writing muisic easier and is supppsed to be cool for listening to new stuff. ive heard of similar things for other subjects than music as well. i had a math teacher who would kinda see numbers as colors, so seeing patterns was really easy for her. i have too much of an analytical mind for this kinda thing, which is unfortunate.
Quote by jof1029
it makes me sad that i cant do that, its supposed to make writing muisic easier and is supppsed to be cool for listening to new stuff. ive heard of similar things for other subjects than music as well. i had a math teacher who would kinda see numbers as colors, so seeing patterns was really easy for her. i have too much of an analytical mind for this kinda thing, which is unfortunate.

It certainly helps for knowing whether different parts of a song fit. For instance, im currently working on an instrumental piece called Gone Tommorow, which so far brings to mind the color orange. I spent a few hours working on a solo yesterday and was instantly able to realize that solo didnt fit the song because it reminded me of the color white. The solo did, however, spawn an idea for another song that I have so far named Crystal World.
yup i think a lot of musicians do this and it's funny cuz no 2 musicians see the same colors for notes, to me E is black and F is maroon red.....
Quote by jof1029

Hmm well I mostly think analytically, maybe that's why I don't associate notes with colors?

I might associate certain chords with colors, but I just think of notes in terms of the intervals between them, I don't really notice too much that's special about individual ones...

That must be cool to have, though.
it's so cool to see all of the different things that people associate with different keys.
I have something like A=Red G=Green C=Blue D=Orange F=Black E=White
but certain songs remind me of colors also like Steve Vai's For the Love of God reminds me of purple, even though it's in the key of E.
yeah....cool
well its really cool to see that other people do the same thing, i was worried no one would understand what i was talking about.