I just set up my mesa/boogie double rectifier today and fooled around with the sounds. It seems the highest gain distortion I can get without going over what it says to do in the booklet is like...a classic rock sound. I want high-gain distortion like Metallica or Dream Theater. I have 2 emg-81's in a Viper 600.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Quote by Gman400
I just set up my mesa/boogie double rectifier today and fooled around with the sounds. It seems the highest gain distortion I can get without going over what it says to do in the booklet is like...a classic rock sound. I want high-gain distortion like Metallica or Dream Theater. I have 2 emg-81's in a Viper 600.

.... you're kidding right?

Solutions
1. Crank it. If you have it at a low volume you're not saturating the power tubes.

2. SInce the mesas are active EQ treble has most say in sound. Adjust to that

3. OD pedal. But i really see no use for it for a rectifier unelss you want to tighten the sound.

4. bad speakers?

5. Bad tubes?
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Well I don't wannna be playing full blast when I'm just practicing cause I sound like crap so I guess I'll get the TD Hotplate or whatever...The guy said I wouldn't need to turn it up that much to get a good sound because of the way it was designed...

I just need to know it will sound top notch because seriously my spiders distortion is better than it so far and everyone says that's crap...
Last edited by Gman400 at May 14, 2006,
hmm, I would think you would just have to plug it in, turn in on, then turn it up.
What does it have, 5 gain stages?....that shouldn't be a problem since Marshall's have 3 (I'm pretty sure)
Quote by Gman400
Well I don't wannna be playing full blast when I'm just practicing cause it sounds like crap so I guess I'll get the TD Hotplate or whatever...The guy said I wouldn't need to turn it up that much to get a good sound because of the way it was designed...

if thats the case, try EQing wihtout the book.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
there's something seriously wrong if you can't get metal tones even at low volumes with a recto and EMG's. I could get metal tones with a gibson les paul classic at whisper volumes.

Note, befor electrik comes in here and calls me a n00b, this is not how to eq it if you can crank it, but should get you metal at low volumes:

select channel 3. set mode to "modern high gain". treble 7 or 8, mids 0, bass 7 or 8. gain 10. volume (and preamp volume) to taste. then adjust everything to taste.

If you can crank it, you'll want to drastically change these settings.

Are you sure the batteries aren't dead in your EMG's?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

that would be my guess too, that or old tubes. You can even get a decent metal tone out of a triple rec at lower volumes. Obviously not as good as cranked, but still very decent. They have a LOT of preamp gain.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Get a weber attenuator, much less than a hot plate, and adjustable impedances, not sure about sound quality though.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Quote by Erock503
that would be my guess too, that or old tubes. You can even get a decent metal tone out of a triple rec at lower volumes. Obviously not as good as cranked, but still very decent. They have a LOT of preamp gain.

yeah. not "powerball" lot, and you kind of have to dial it in by scooping the mids and diming the gain to sound metal at whisper volumes, but i sounded sufficiently metal at low volumes in sound control (UK equivalent of Guitar Center) after about 30 seconds of dialling in, with pickups less hot than EMG's, so it's possible. Something's broken, or the threadstarter is in the wrong mode/channel or something...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I can't wait to actually try one of those Dave, any ENGL for that matter. I really like your high gain recordings with the Savage SE, so I can imagine the powerball would be kickass too.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Gman400
Well I don't wannna be playing full blast when I'm just practicing cause I sound like crap so I guess I'll get the TD Hotplate or whatever...The guy said I wouldn't need to turn it up that much to get a good sound because of the way it was designed...

I just need to know it will sound top notch because seriously my spiders distortion is better than it so far and everyone says that's crap...

Mesa/Boogie say right in their manual their amp's sweet spot begins at 10:00 on the master volume. That was too loud for my band practice... And I only use a single rectifier.

My guess is you're using the wrong channel, the batteries are dead in the guitar, or the amp needs a retube.
If the problem persists then I'll probably get a recording or something for you guys but first I'll check my EMG's. I'd figure they would just stop sounding or something. The tubes should be good as the amp came brand new out of the box with everything set up. I was using 3rd channel and I screwed with volumes and different EQs and **** but didn't go to loud and didn't turn up the gain and treble up too much as it said that would kill the tubes in the manual.

I have a question though about the output/master volume. Yeah...uhh what's the difference? Like I guess output is the master for all 3 channels but does it effect the sound or anything? Like should there be a special way I set the master and the output to the right volume?
Ok
1. to get a good metal sound from a Recto simply turn it on and play, hmm complicated huh?
2. Check to make sure the little switch that sets the type of gain for each channel is set on modern
3. Go ahead and turn the gain all the way up
4. You are not going to saound like Wylde at bedroom volumes, so get an attenuator, hot plate is good
5. And you probably don't deserve a Mesa if you think a Spider sounds better
Quote by Dave_Mc

select channel 3. set mode to "modern high gain". treble 7 or 8, mids 0, bass 7 or 8. gain 10. volume (and preamp volume) to taste. then adjust everything to taste.

I recommend higher mids, more bass, and less gain than these settings. A bit of mids will give the sound some definition and punch and less gain and bass will make it fuller and less boomy. Try (clock faces) bass: 12-1 , mids: 11-1, treble: 1-2, gain 3, presence to taste( start at noon and go from there), with the bold power setting and diode rectifiers. Turn it up as high as possible.
Quote by Erock503
I can't wait to actually try one of those Dave, any ENGL for that matter. I really like your high gain recordings with the Savage SE, so I can imagine the powerball would be kickass too.

the powerball has a similar amount of gain (probably more, actually) on channel 3 as my channel 4 has...

Quote by MoneyForNothin'

Quote by Dave_Mc

I recommend higher mids, more bass, and less gain than these settings. A bit of mids will give the sound some definition and punch and less gain and bass will make it fuller and less boomy. Try (clock faces) bass: 12-1 , mids: 11-1, treble: 1-2, gain 3, presence to taste( start at noon and go from there), with the bold power setting and diode rectifiers. Turn it up as high as possible.

way to selectively quote what i said.

here's what I actually said:

Quote by Dave_Mc
there's something seriously wrong if you can't get metal tones even at low volumes with a recto and EMG's. I could get metal tones with a gibson les paul classic at whisper volumes.

Note, before electrik comes in here and calls me a n00b, this is not how to eq it if you can crank it, but should get you metal at low volumes:

We all know (as geno says) it'll sound better cranked, but he says he doesn't want to crank it, and I was point out how I managed to get a metal tone at low volumes. this is a quick fix metal tone. if he doesn't know how to get a metal tone, either something is broken, or he needs serious help for dialing in. Which is what I gave him. For low volumes.

So yeah.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ also, Gman, you want to make sure you have SS/diode rectifiers selected, as money said.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well no dave, the amps sound like garbage before those levels. I've never been able to get a good boogie tone under that 'sweet spot' and basically, thats where the amp opens up and becomse USEFUL.
Quote by Dave_Mc

way to selectively quote what i said.

I didn't mean it as a personal attack on you based on the settings, but I find rectifiers extraordinarily muddy and lifeless with the mids so low.
Quote by Dave_Mc

Note, befor electrik comes in here and calls me a n00b, this is not how to eq it if you can crank it, but should get you metal at low volumes:

dave..a noob?
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Well no dave, the amps sound like garbage before those levels. I've never been able to get a good boogie tone under that 'sweet spot' and basically, thats where the amp opens up and becomse USEFUL.

agreed, but you can get a (garbage) metal tone at low volumes.

Quote by MoneyForNothin'
I didn't mean it as a personal attack on you based on the settings, but I find rectifiers extraordinarily muddy and lifeless with the mids so low.

yeah, but it's one of the fastest ways to a metal tone at low volumes. I hate scooped mids too, by the way.

Quote by godofshred
dave..a noob?

yes.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, thats the reason I dont even play my rectifier. It sounds like **** when the volume is at a useable (non-concert) level, and I don't own an attenuator.

I couldn't even coax a nice tone out of it at a low volume, so yeah. I'd rather play unplugged than listen to that mush.

I'd rather play with a spider II or something. I don't know, its pretty bad.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at May 15, 2006,
^ pwnt, lol.

do you like it at high volumes?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If I want to sound like Metallica's self-titled, yeah. Otherwise.. not really.

Scoop the mids, plug in with my EMGs...

I'm getting rid of it this weekend.
^ yeah.

that's what i think about rectos (haven't tried the single, I'm going by the dual). If you want the signature recto tone, it's awesome. If you don't, it's not got a vast amount of versatility...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^True. Its liek a MArshall tube amp. If you like (and want) the bright crunchy tone it great. If not´, then it sucks.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009