I've heard so many things about this album...some people say it's the greatest ever, and if not that, most people will put it in the top 5. I always wondered how the hell the Beach Boys could ever manage to make an album that great. Don't get me wrong, I love the Beach Boys...but...they're....the Beach Boys. Even the name doesn't exactly steer you towards thinking of them as musical geniuses.

So I bought the album to see what all the fuss was about. I liked it a lot, but it didn't hit me with the same force that I thought it was supposed to. Then, after having it for about a week, I suddenly "got" it. The musical complexity, the amazing orchestration, the beautiful songs and the whole quirky feel to it just came together and I understood why people heap such praise on it.

Anyone feel like discussing the album? Favorite songs, favorite lines, favorite....anything? I happen to love "I'm Waiting for the Day," "That's Not Me," and "God Only Knows." The only one I don't like as much is "I Know There's an Answer." But there's no filler on this album.
Founder and member #1 of "The Beatles really are the greatest" club...PM me to join.

Quote by Zeus2716

but whatever you do, never, i repeat NEVER masturbate with hot sauce.
I like how Brian experemented with L.S.D freely to make the album.
When your body's tired, exercise your mind.
It's odd that it's so heavily influenced by LSD, because if that's really true then it's the most un-psychadelic acid album ever.
Founder and member #1 of "The Beatles really are the greatest" club...PM me to join.

Quote by Zeus2716

many people consider it the best album ever recorded after sgt. peppers.

Caroline No, Wouldn't it Be Nice, and God Only Knows are my favorites but like ridcullylives said, there isn't any filler at all.

i also just want to say that i think it's a shame that most people when they think about the Beach Boys, they think of Surfin U.S.A., Fun, Fun, Fun, and Help Me Rhonda type songs and not Pet Sounds.
Quote by KingBrendan5149
i also just want to say that i think it's a shame that most people when they think about the Beach Boys, they think of Surfin U.S.A., Fun, Fun, Fun, and Help Me Rhonda type songs and not Pet Sounds.

Come on. Those songs are kind of catchy.
Pet sounds is an awesome album. Every song on it is good.
Quote by crazydiamond73
You, my friend, are a genius.
I dont know, Pet Sounds did hit me as a really great album.

Rubber Soul influenced it, and then Pet Sounds influenced Sgt Pepper so i guess in my books (being an enormous Beatles fan) it has a special place.

I love the melancholy, lost love story-ish atmosphere behind 'Dont Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)'
anyone agree?
sympathy for the...
Devil
President of "Beatlemania is NOT phony" Club. PM me to join.
My favorite song on the album is "God Only Knows". Even though the entire album is great, this song almost makes me cry because it's so beautifully written. It reminds me of the Wonder Years, because they played it on the episode where Kevin's girlfriend Wendy (or whatever that bitch's name was ) leaves.

The Beach Boys have made some really great music, but not enough people appreciate their work apart from what's played on the radio.
it's a gorgeous album. the reason i would never put it ahead of the beatles stuff is that the beatles managed this cohesion with 10 original styles on one album, whereas this is so good because of the general mood present in the majority of the songs. but still, it is a fantastic album. but don't slag the early beach boys stuff either! not a lot of bands havewritten something as good as "i get around".
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
^ if that last remark was directed towards me: i do like most of their early work but most people are only aware of those and not Pet Sounds. that's all i'm saying.
one time there was this dj who appreciated my knowledge of rock n roll history so he promised to send me pet sounds and the follow up smile. well, im still waiting, which leads me to believe that, unfortunately, i probably gave my name and address to a pedophile.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker

The Beach Boys have made some really great music, but not enough people appreciate their work apart from what's played on the radio.

Nevertheless, there is a perfectly good reason that their most popular songs have been radio staples for nearly forty years; they?re perfect ?pop?. In regards to 'Pet Sounds', I do believe that it is, inadvertently mind, one of the most emotionally involving, and at that rewarding, records ever created.
Incisive inklings of proper piss are unsuited for the quill…
That was album was pretty good, but it still seems to be over rated. There are better psychedelic records out there.
Quote by highway2hell999
What The Hell Is Bong-water????????????????????????????????
YEAH, A BABY!
Quote by KingBrendan5149
^ i don't really consider Pet Sounds "psychedelic" really.

It's not that it was really psychedelic, but it did seem like it was marketed to the psychedelic population (hippies) at the time.
Quote by highway2hell999
What The Hell Is Bong-water????????????????????????????????
YEAH, A BABY!
Quote by ridcullylives
I always wondered how the hell the Beach Boys could ever manage to make an album that great.

Brian Wilson is a musical genius.
Quote by ta too tee
I played with Slash yesterday. It was super cool cuz we played some Nirvana and Britney Spears songs. Good stuff! I also taught him how to play Sweet Child O'Mine
^^^^ Agreed.

Seriously ****ed up.

But a genius.

Quote by Zeus2716

Quote by ridcullylives
^^^^ Agreed.

Seriously ****ed up.

But a genius.

Kinda like Prince and Michael Jackson....they are two of the weirdest guys I have ever seen....but you cannot deny their talent.

May be the two best song writers since Lennon and McCartney....

It's a fine line between genius and eccentric...
Quote by ta too tee
I played with Slash yesterday. It was super cool cuz we played some Nirvana and Britney Spears songs. Good stuff! I also taught him how to play Sweet Child O'Mine
And also a very fine line between eccentric and pyscho.

Quote by Zeus2716

Quote by KingBrendan5149
^ if that last remark was directed towards me: i do like most of their early work but most people are only aware of those and not Pet Sounds. that's all i'm saying.

nah it wasn't really aimed at anybody. i just skimmed the posts before, it was just a general statement not to forget their early stuff. just like i'm keen on reminding people that they won't be uncool if they like the beatles stuff before rubber soul.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Quote by sirpsycho85
nah it wasn't really aimed at anybody. i just skimmed the posts before, it was just a general statement not to forget their early stuff. just like i'm keen on reminding people that they won't be uncool if they like the beatles stuff before rubber soul.

I agree.
I find myself evenly listening to pre - Rubber Soul and post - Rubber Soul.
Its a good combination, to know where they came from, and to see where they end up and vice versa.
sympathy for the...
Devil
President of "Beatlemania is NOT phony" Club. PM me to join.