A coil split separates the two coils in a humbucker so that just one of them is in use - it should give you single coil sounds. Phase change reverses the way the pickup is connected so that with two pickups on some of the signal will cancel out giving you a very different sound. I've wired my bass out of phase.
No - not at all

Don't really know how to explain. Have you searched the UG columns?

Edit - screw that - i forgot how bad the search function is here.
Quote by Silent_Scream1
Hpw does the phase sound? Like a phaser pedal or something?

if you have 2 pickups are that out of phase you only heard the difference on of the 2 waveforms each pickup is picking up. On a guitar this leave you with a very low output nasal trebly sound.
Quote by seljer
if you have 2 pickups are that out of phase you only heard the difference on of the 2 waveforms each pickup is picking up. On a guitar this leave you with a very low output nasal trebly sound.

The good out of phase sounds from having one pickup on full volume and just a bit of the other pickup. Varying how much gives a whole load of different tones.
Quote by smb
The good out of phase sounds from having one pickup on full volume and just a bit of the other pickup. Varying how much gives a whole load of different tones.

ah yeah, les paul type control setup, good idea.

I only have master volume and master tone my guitar so I tend to forget things like that
I've got seperate volume and master tone - soon to be changed though. I'm thinking of replacing the capacitor with an inductor to see what that's like.