Hey guys, I need some help, Im really into A7X and have been for a while, but just now starting to try and play some of their work, they are really fast though, Im trying to play the beast and the harlot solo and i cant get it, anyone want to help me get better at speed picking or just going faster please?

Thanks in advance

Austin
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
-sigh-

Well. I would advise checking the lessons column of UG. Make sure you check out the ones with high ratings. I know there is speed picking, and all the good stuff.
practice, theres no way around it just practice practice practice. thats it and only it. divide the solo into smaller pieces and practice each piece until you can do it up to speed. do this with each section of the solo and then combine them all together. when i say pieces i mean like 5 ten second pieces being your a beginner.
ive tried to practice it but i doubt that im puttin my fingers in the right spot

Lead Guitar
E|13-10----10-----|----------------|-----------------------------121315-|
B|------13----13b-|8b--9b--10b-11b-|13121110-14131211-15141314-15-------|
G|----------------|10b-11b-12b-13b-|------------------------------------|
D|----------------|----------------|------------------------------------|
A|----------------|----------------|------------------------------------|
D|----------------|----------------|------------------------------------|

E|17----------17----17------------|2017----------------------------|
B|--------------1817--171817--17--|----2017------------------------|
G|--------------------------17--17|--------------------------------|
D|--------------------------------|-------------------------5-6-7-8|
A|--------------------------------|--------17151215-5-6-7-8--------|
D|--------------------------------|--------------------------------|

How would i finger that?
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
Personally I don't think there is any wrong or right way to place your fingers for songs, just some ways are easier than others, I think pretty much everyone places there fingers differently, but just stick to putting your Index finger on the lowest number "Closest to the nut" and your pink on the highest "closest to the bridge" and you'll find that most songs are played within the 4 or 5 frets that are easily reached, and you just change position every now and then. That way your hand isn't flying all over the place when it could be sitting still.

Understand? If not I'll explain more
As stated above, the Beast and The Harlot's solo uses alot of chromatic licks so just practice some other ones or continue to practice the solo real slow and build up speed. Never sacrafice clean sound for a slight increase in speed. Only go as fast as you can perfectly play it. As for finger placement, make sure you use all four fingers. When you're slowly learning the licks, make sure you use the "smartest" placement of fingers so you always have a finger ready to move to the next string, and again, use your pinky. In the example you have
--17------17
------17----

Do what's best and comfortable, but I personally "roll" my finger so it mutes the previous note but rolls to the next string to sound if you get what I'm saying. If you have any more Q's post them.

Bry