Ive made a distorion pedal and it doesnt work. It will play cleanly but when I hit the switch it stops making noise. I plugged the pedal into an am and my guitar and took a metal rod and touched it to all the parts of the circuit. When I was touching the rod, it would make this buzzing/crackling noice when I would touch it to parts of the pedal, but when I touched it to the ground wires nothing would happen. To ground it all, I took a different piece of wire and soldered it to all the pieces that need to be grounded, then I twisted all the ends together and soldered them into a giant clumb, it looks ugly. Is this ok for grounding or am I doing it all wrong?

http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/fuzz.html
did you get the orientation of the transitors right?

Its late and I can't be botehred to think too much right now. I built a couple of these off the layout provided on this site: http://www.home-wrecker.com/bazz.html
(though I used the first simple schematic there...)

Not really too useful but a pic of my breadboarded version of it: http://www2.arnes.si/~spribe/slike/guitar/bazzfuzz.jpg
Last edited by seljer at May 14, 2006,
Im really sure I have the transistors oriented right, I looked on like for the letterings of the wires, and looked for a lettered diagram of the darlington, Ill go tripple check them though.
Just checked, they are in right, the C's are connected, the E of tr1 is conected to the B of tr2...

You just lumped all the grounds together? Didn't you perf it or something!?

I bet you fried the transistors.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Well, I there are six ground, so I took two wires, and twisted them together. And I did that until I have 3 things one 2, then I twisted those together and soldered it all together. Is there a better way to ground? and how would I know if I fried the transistors?
Uh..
Did you perf it?
Aha....I just looked an I found some more transistors, is there a way to put them in with out frying them?
dont apply too much eat
Once I get my transistors changed, should I do anything with the grounding, or is the way ive done it ok?
Should be ok...I guess.
LMAO at post #11.

Ummm, I believe that as long as everything that has to go to ground goes to ground you're perfectly fine.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Its pretty bad form to lump them all together with wires though you know.
It works now, turns out I did fry the transistors, it just buzzes when its on distorion, is there any way to fix that?
if you have single coils, its normal
if youre sat on/too near the amp, its normal
if you have crap shielding, its normal
if the gain/treble is too high, its normal
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.