i've been trying to get a JCM-800 for a month with no luck. well i found a jcm-900 with el34's on ebay for $600 buy it now...its a 2x12 combo version.

would you be able to get a classic rock sound outa this amp comparable to a jcm-800 since it has the el34's or should i just keep searching for a jcm-800.

the sound doesn't have to be totally perfect on to a jcm-800 but i'm just trying to expand my options away from just one amp.
Yes man you should get it the JCM 900 is a little bit more compatible than the JCM 800 just not as legendary
you should buy it. IMO the EL34's sound so much better in the JCM900's. They are great sounding amps that are pretty versitile. Are you getting the Dual reverb version or high gain version?
well it didn't say which version it was...and sadly it was bought before i could get back to ebay to scoop it up...

i was gonna buy it because i know i could resell it for more then $600 if i did'nt end up liking it.

but at least now i've widened my options and can look for 900's with el34s(or i can just put some in myself).

btw whats the difference in sound between the 2 version you are asking about.
the higher gain SL-X's have an extra gain stage and are more suited for metal and thrash, but the Dual-reverbs have reverb (obviously) and better cleans in my opinion. These Dual reverbs are more "Marshally" IMO. I prefer the Dual Reverb 900's over the other versions personally.
Quote by Gutch220
the higher gain SL-X's have an extra gain stage and are more suited for metal and thrash, but the Dual-reverbs have reverb (obviously) and better cleans in my opinion. These Dual reverbs are more "Marshally" IMO. I prefer the Dual Reverb 900's over the other versions personally.

ic...most on ebay seem to be dual reverbs...i have no need for the slx if its just higher gain. i'm a classic rock player...i jam to hendrix, gnr, ledz, etc.

think i could get a real good slash tone from one?
well i non longer need to know now..i just got a 4104 2x12 jcm 800 combo off of ebay for $700.

pissed i had to spend that much but after 2 months of watching them go for $850 and up (especially for the more in demand 2204 vertical input models like this one) i finally said i'm not gonna get one for $600 like i wanted.

oh well whats an extra hundred bucks...plus i know after a few years it'll probably be worth twice this much.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Thats cool, its the 2x12 combo version of the 2204 which is a great amp. It will have a lot of balls. What year did you get?
Quote by Gutch220
Thats cool, its the 2x12 combo version of the 2204 which is a great amp. It will have a lot of balls. What year did you get?

i already have a les paul classic (gibson)...a podxt live pedal i use for effects and for when i play through PA systems...

i have my mg50fx sold for $325 to someone who doesn't know any better or care so i'm thanking god thats off my hands.

as for the rest of my gear i also play bass at church and such and i play a yamaha trb1005. for you bass players out there this is easily the best bass for the money you can buy. easily playes like a 3 grand bass for a third the price
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by Gutch220
Do you know what year JCM800 you got?

he didn't know the exact year but i have the serial number...but it has the vertical inputs that were replaced in 1985 for i'm guessing its an 82-84 model.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
whats the serial number?
what capacitors are in it (large can-shaped things)?
and what transformers are in it?

...just curious
Quote by Gutch220
whats the serial number?
what capacitors are in it (large can-shaped things)?
and what transformers are in it?

...just curious

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7413344866&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

check it out..thats the one i got. the serial number is in the description...any info you can find out about it would be appriciated...not that it matters because its gonna own either way but for curiousities sake.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Its from 1984
It has Drake transformers which is good.
and I can't tell what those green caps are, they aren't Daly or LCR caps though.

otherwise I think you got a good amp.
Quote by Gutch220
Its from 1984
It has Drake transformers which is good.
and I can't tell what those green caps are, they aren't Daly or LCR caps though.

otherwise I think you got a good amp.

good..i know 82-84 are when marshall made the jcm800 at its best so i'm glad to hear that. i was reading that in 85 they started cutting corners to reduce costs and it effected the tone. can't wait to plug into this thing and rake a solo out.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by Gutch220
yea, but those "cuts in cost" and "loss of tone" are grossly exagerated.

yeah i know...i was just as prepared to by a 2205 based combo as i was this one..but i got this one for about $100-150 less then what they've been going for on ebay. guess the auction ended at the right time or i got lucky.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals