When strumming... What is the correct method to do it? Strumming up and down like a guitar... or strumming down?

And how do you know when to do it?
Last edited by WashBurn! at May 14, 2006,
Down (I'm always a downpicker, unless doing a fast solo on guitar or bass).

And it's a matter of feel. That's all there is to it.
haha
No no no.. it's not an opinion question, Sorry.

what I meant is.. Are you supposed to strum down? or... what?
as long as you hit the string with the same force it shouldn't matter too much to your sound.

and as for when to do it...whenever feels easiest to sound like the song

Edit- reread it, got that you didn't mean that...most people do downstrokes mainly, with occasional upstrokes, however it is more down to how you feel is best for you, there is no 'correct' method
I was always under the impression it was a good habit to get used to alternate picking and strumming, and it feels natural to me to do that, even on slower songs where I dont really need to
I hear alot of songs... and I play up and downstrokes and it sounds nothing like the song.
Quote by WashBurn!
I hear alot of songs... and I play up and downstrokes and it sounds nothing like the song.

this could be more down to timing...try playing along with the songs, hitting the notes as they go, it's a good way to practice
well if u playing fast, youll need to "go up and down"
but when playing a song that isnt just simply strumming its very hard to double pick or w/e its called...
Could it be that the bassists for the bands you listen to dont even use picks? A pick makes a big sound difference.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by HardAttack
Could it be that the bassists for the bands you listen to dont even use picks? A pick makes a big sound difference.

Quote by WashBurn!
I use picks.

They just mean that in the long run you might be able to sound more like the bassists who play with their fingers if you too use your fingers

However, I remember you were talking about learning Fall Out Boy stuff in a different thread, and I doubt their bassist plays with his fingers
So afterall.. there is no correct method to strumming?

Up & down or just down.. it doesn't really matter?
i can pick as fast as my guitarist on strings twice the thickness

i generally downpick on slower bits, if i need a huge volume swell its up picked with force. otherwise its alt picked (updownup etc)

edit: or i use my fingers
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Give me some examples of songs you'll use for just down picking... and give me some songs you'll use for up and down picking.
i play Roots - Sepultura ENTIRELY Downpicked. everything else (which is mostly own band songs) is fingerpicked or Alt picked

Quote by metaldud536

what are your interests? fave bands?

Quote by metaldud536

You wouldn't know any of them... but I'll give you some mainstream bands that I like...

Taking Back Sunday, Hawthorne Heights and AFI.
Is there a strategy on how to down/ up down pick really fast?

My friend says to put the pick on an angle or something.
I don't think the pattern of strumming matters. WHen I use a pick for songs that are picked I usually alternate on E and play downstrokes on the other strings because I don't always catch the other oneas as well with a pick.

As far as speed, it's a bit harder to triple pick (downupdown) because of teh strings thickness. I can triple pick D and G strings, but E and A are hard. Drop D would be really hard. I think if you require a ot of speed on those strings, just stick to fingers.
I listen to alot of punk, and wow these guys can up down pretty quick.

And how do I "Drop D"?
Well, for downpicked songs that you might know, just abomut eveything metallica has ever done has been downpicked for the rhythmn parts, but Cliff played with his fingers so you'll want to stick to later stuff like "...and justice for all" and all the other albums after master of puppets but before st. anger (Rob also plays with hs fingers).

"Drop D" is an alternate tuning used a lot in metal and sometimes for slide guitar that makes it easier to play powerchords on the bottom three strings so you'd tune a bass to DAdg, so the bottom E is tuned down to an octave lower than the D
Play the D and E strings open and tune the E down until it sounds the same as the D, not exactly the same, just the same pitch, an octave lower
Okay.. thanks.

How do I know when to down pick or to up down pick? Do I just guess or listen to the song?
Not if you alternate pick. You don't have to use the excact same thing the tab tells you to.
Thanks for the tip.. I'll keep that in mind.

It's sometimes hard to hear how they play in alot of songs.
It is but I always alternate pick, I hate doing just downstrokes. You won't really be able to tell what some bassists are doing because it's sometimes so low in the mix. The easiest way is to just learn the song and then do it your way. You'll become a better player that way. Leanr Here's Your Letter by Blink 182 because Mark uses alot of stops, hammer-ons and pull-off's and it isn't to difficult.