I've been considering replacing the pickups on my Strat for awhile (currently equipped with single coil). However, I'm not very educated in pickups. I think I would prefer humbuckers, but again, I'm not positive what kind of sound I would get. I'm looking to have a more hard-rock sound. Not necessarily metal, just something a little heavier. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I think a Humbucker in the bridge, with a high-ish output, Alcino 5 magnet. With a single coil in the middle and neck, with a 5k-ish output. Look into these: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/yhst-50206111187217/pickups.html
They are a GREAT pickup, with a GREAT price.
~~One Off Custom Strat~~
- 3 piece alder body
- Maple on rosewood 21 fret neck
- '82 Fender pickups

~~'92 Toyota Supra~~

- 1JZ-GTE (TT, front mount intercooler, 15~psi)
- Tuned on 93 octane
- HKS 3" exhaust
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
I just recently got new pickups for my American strat. This is my setup:

DiMarzio HS3 Bridge

Di Marzio HS2 Middle

DiMarzio HS3 Neck.

I can tell you how great this pickups are. They are noise canceling, but you get great output out of them. No regular hiss and hum from the standard pickups. I highly reccomend getting them installed by a professional though.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Quote by dropin_biking
I think a Humbucker in the bridge, with a high-ish output, Alcino 5 magnet. With a single coil in the middle and neck, with a 5k-ish output. Look into these: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/yhst-50206111187217/pickups.html
They are a GREAT pickup, with a GREAT price.

Awesome site. The description of the Alcino sounds great. The site is slightly over-whelming for me though. So many choices! And thanks alot to everyone else who gave their suggestions.
I have a set of GFS hot alnico staggered pickups in my strat and they sound really good. A big improvement over the stock ones in my G&L Tribute.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by noah22791
I just recently got new pickups for my American strat. This is my setup:

DiMarzio HS3 Bridge

Di Marzio HS2 Middle

DiMarzio HS3 Neck.

I can tell you how great this pickups are. They are noise canceling, but you get great output out of them. No regular hiss and hum from the standard pickups. I highly reccomend getting them installed by a professional though.

I have an HS-3 and they're OK. Nothing great. If you want a really hard rock sound out of a Strat with no issues about full-size humbucker routing or getting a new pickguard, I would recommend the DiMarzio Chopper or Fast Track or Seymour Duncan Hot Rails. And you can install them yourself. It's not difficult at all.
Hi, I'm Peter
If you're not rich, Fender Hot Noiseless are some fine fine pickups. Good output, and Noiseless!! I like mine
I am personally a big fan of Fender Texas Specials. Basically a high output single coil. Not quite a humbucker, but a hot pickup with a great single coil tone (Which i prefer to humbuckers). I can get a great SRV, AC/DC, or Black Sabbath tone out of the texas special in my mid position. I know those last two bands use humbuckers, but i can approximate them very well. A great side effect of this is aside from installing the p/ups, you don't need to modify your guitar in any way.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Here's another brand thrown into the mix:

Kinman Pickups

Gotta be the best noiseless pickups available. Also good if you're after humbuckers but don't want to reroute your guitar. They do heavy sounds better than any other single coils out there.
i have texas specials in my strat which i really like, the difference from the standard stock pickups was amazing.

lindy fralin pickups are considered pretty good for strats.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
bridge-hot rails from seymour duncan. (any mini humbucker really)
middle-texas specials. or silent dimarzio stacked virtual vintage heavy blues.
neck- something with good clean like lace sensor, hot gold
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^^ Screw budget, n00b! Didn't you know money grows on trees? Well, it grows in trees since it's made mostly of paper...
Hi, I'm Peter
I think it's 75%-25% paper/linen. Let's see...

This is from a site that links off the US Dept. of Treasury website:

Currency paper is composed of 25% linen and 75% cotton. Red and blue synthetic fibers of various lengths are distributed evenly throughout the paper. Prior to World War I the fibers were made of silk.

http://www.moneyfactory.gov/document.cfm/18/106

Turns out I was completely wrong, even though I got the proportions right. Heh. I just pwned myself.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at May 15, 2006,
Quote by Dirk Gently
^^ Screw budget, n00b! Didn't you know money grows on trees? Well, it grows in trees since it's made mostly of paper...

dirk i dont think you could talk i joined 2 days after you