don't tell me my amp sucks, i already hear a lot about that and don't really care. i have an mg30dfx, and want to get a good jazzy tone out of it if at all possible. how can i do that?
you want a jazzy tone outa a marshall? sell the mg30 and buy a tube amp...

but seriously ..your not gonna get a good jazz tone outa an mg series...they are (and i know from personal experience) crap amps with no punch. they are very generic and low on power and tone.

by jazz tone i'm assuming you want each note to be punchy and sound distint and well from each other...your not gonna get that from an mg.

all i can say is turn the bass way up add a little mids and highs and see what you get.
Quote by bonchie1
you want a jazzy tone outa a marshall? sell the mg30 and buy a tube amp...

but seriously ..your not gonna get a good jazz tone outa an mg series...they are (and i know from personal experience) crap amps with no punch. they are very generic and low on power and tone.

by jazz tone i'm assuming you want each note to be punchy and sound distint and well from each other...your not gonna get that from an mg.

all i can say is turn the bass way up add a little mids and highs and see what you get.

Right, how about you shut the fuck up.

Does that amp have any effects on it? what effects do u have? what guitar? meh, try some medium gain, bass at around 7, middle wherever, treble at 10. then use maybe a little bit of flange, or delay, im not sure. let me think about it and get back to u. sorry... ha ha
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Last edited by 812many at May 14, 2006,
Yeah, Definatly crank the bass and just add little bits of mid and high untill you get the tone that you want.
Quote by Encore_God
The School of Blues is the same place as the University of Life, friend.

Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Stratocaster
Crate GTX212
I have an MG50DFX and i can get some deascent Jazz sounds out of it. If you have reverb, crank that up about half way. On mine there is a button you can push that says FDD and replicates a tube amp. I camp that on no matter what I play. That will help.

The guitar you use also affects Jazz sound. I use an American strat into this amp and it sounds fine.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Quote by 812many

Does that amp have any effects on it? what effects do u have? what guitar? meh, try some medium gain, bass at around 3, middle wherever, treble at 10. then use maybe a little bit of flange, or delay, im not sure. let me think about it and get back to u. sorry... ha ha

you must have no ear for music if you think the tone on mg is great...i've owned an mg50fx...and he isn't going to get a punchy jazz sound outa it...if he can unload the thing he needs to sell it now before hes stuck with it.

i'm sorry to of offended you and your crappy tastes in amps idiot.

btw...what kinda jazz do you listen to? you don't crank the treble way up to get a jazzy sound...
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Get it as clean as it will go, turn all the effects off (except maybe a bit of reverb or a compressor if you have one). Turn the treble way down, and the bass up a bit but not too much (gets muddy). Use your neck pickup w/the tone all the way up, if that's not punchy enough switch to neck+bridge with the bridge volume down a bit.
Quote by Roc8995
Get it as clean as it will go, turn all the effects off (except maybe a bit of reverb or a compressor if you have one). Turn the treble way down, and the bass up a bit but not too much (gets muddy). Use your neck pickup w/the tone all the way up, if that's not punchy enough switch to neck+bridge with the bridge volume down a bit.

it doesn't have a compressor...but yeah he should probably use both pickups to get the punch he wants.

the guy just needs to be realistic...hes not gonna get the sound hes invsioning...take what you get
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
just turn the tone down low on the bridge pickup, turn the bass up a bit, turn the highs down a bit, and put it on clean tone, and add some overdrive if u want
I'm ****ing sick of all these ass h*les flaming the MG series. I have an MG50DFX and I like it. I compared it to other amps as well, including everyone's beloved Vox Valvetronix amps. I prefer the MG. I don't know if these people have played duds or what, but my MG has good tone. It doesn't have ANY of the problems people mention about the MG series.

The Vox amp I tried (AVT100w I believe) did a lot of things, but none of them particularly well. Plus, having cheap knobs that were ready to break off (or had broken already) definetly made me see it as a cheap amp. So, I got my MG. And love it.

ON TOPIC, TC, could you describe the jazzy tone you're looking for a bit more?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
I'm ****ing sick of all these ass h*les flaming the MG series. I have an MG50DFX and I like it. I compared it to other amps as well, including everyone's beloved Vox Valvetronix amps. I prefer the MG. I don't know if these people have played duds or what, but my MG has good tone. It doesn't have ANY of the problems people mention about the MG series.

The Vox amp I tried (AVT100w I believe) did a lot of things, but none of them particularly well. Plus, having cheap knobs that were ready to break off (or had broken already) definetly made me see it as a cheap amp. So, I got my MG. And love it.

ON TOPIC, TC, could you describe the jazzy tone you're looking for a bit more?

calm down son...noones flaming the mg series here...i'm stating facts...he isn't gonna get the jazzy punchy tone from an mg50fx...trust me i've tried. he can get somewhere in the ballpark and i told him how to do it. but he needs to know hes not gonna get what hes invisioning...it'll save him alot of time if he knows that going in.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by 812many

Does that amp have any effects on it? what effects do u have? what guitar? meh, try some medium gain, bass at around 7, middle wherever, treble at 10. then use maybe a little bit of flange, or delay, im not sure. let me think about it and get back to u. sorry... ha ha

the amp has reverb, chorus, delay, and flange, and i have a pedal that can add highs and lows a lot, and i'm on a strat.

i know i won't get the ideal sound i'm looking for, but for now this is what i have. i may get a new amp in a bit, because i'd need one with more watts for performances i think so i'll shop around when the time comes.
You can get a perfectly acceptable jazz tone out of rthat....

neck humbucker with the tone rolled off on the clean channel.
Quote by Cmogi10
You can get a perfectly acceptable jazz tone out of rthat....

neck humbucker with the tone rolled off on the clean channel.

do you have an mgfx?

believe me i've tryed rolling the tone back...all that does it take almost all your punch and presence out on this amp.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Marshall MG being better than a Vox Valvetronix?

Hm. Sorry if the next line offends you in any way, but I would really like to know what planet do you live in, and what kind of weed you smoke.
Quote by americnidiot
why the f*** does that guy have a KFC bucket on his head?

Quote by slashnmash
its buckethead dummy!
It's really hard to get a GOOD jazz tone out of the MG series. I still have mine but don't use it anymore. But basically, try to get as clean a tone as possible, effects are entirely optional.
Quote by Metallica1989
Marshall MG being better than a Vox Valvetronix?

Hm. Sorry if the next line offends you in any way, but I would really like to know what planet do you live in, and what kind of weed you smoke.

The Vox I tried was really cheap. Don't get me wrong, it was a decent amp, but it seemed to do a lot of things decently but none really well. The effects were crap in my opinion, and the "sounding like 11 different amps" was basically just turning the volume up.

Like I already said, my MG50DFX doesn't have any of the issues that MG haters mention. It doesn't buzz psychotically, I can't hear the fan, and I can get any tone I want from it. Every tone I've wanted to use, I've been able to. That's why I can't understand people's complaints with this amp. Mine does what I want it to and does it well. Isn't that what you WANT from an amp?

As for "what I smoke," absolutely nothing. It's my honest opinion. I'm not stupid-I tried other amps before I bought. This one sounded the best out of the ones I tried. Maybe I got a good MG and tried a bad Vox? I don't know. I DO know that I like my MG though.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I dont have one...

Solid state clean...what guitar/humbuckers are you using?
Use fender, look for an old secondhand on ebay and your sure te get hooked up right. (mg marshalls ain't amps, theyre shoeboxes with bees)
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
and its not hard to get a good jazz tone out of a mg, it's hard to get any good sound out of it
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Marshall mgs are not that great granted BUT It won't be that hard to get a neutral sounding solid state jazz tone out of an mg the key is, turn down the treble don't have it too high. NECK HUMBUCKER is a must with the tone rolled quite a bit down, quite a bit of bass and a tad of bass should work ok.
Quote by ScottishAngus
Marshall mgs are not that great granted BUT It won't be that hard to get a neutral sounding solid state jazz tone out of an mg the key is, turn down the treble don't have it too high. NECK HUMBUCKER is a must with the tone rolled quite a bit down, quite a bit of bass and a tad of bass should work ok.

he probably doesn't care anymore but yeah we've all said that 10x in this thread. i think he just needs to be aware hes not gonna get a punchy sound with an mg...just not possible.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by 812many

Quality, not quantity

I'd say use either the neck pickup or neck/middle and go easy on the treble & mids.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music