i was learning a song that has an f chord in it (played from bottom e to top 133211) and whenever i try to cover the first fret with my index finger i get a pain that goes along my left hand on the pinky side, could this cause damage, either permenant or temporary and is there something i could do to help it?
Quote by unplugtheradio
sometimes people sig me, dont tell me, and i see it later. its a weird feeling.

he's bulletproof

Quote by IbanezPlayer27
There's Black Amish People that use computer's
Is this the first time that you have played an F chord? Maybe it's because the position is strange and you aren't used to fretting like this.

If you've been playing the F chord for a while, and it's only occuring now, I'm not sure why this would happen.

I can only think that once you get used to it you should be fine...
ok, thanks
Quote by unplugtheradio
sometimes people sig me, dont tell me, and i see it later. its a weird feeling.

he's bulletproof

Quote by IbanezPlayer27
There's Black Amish People that use computer's
Sometimes I think that the F chord is properly named. Because its hard as F*** to get it to work sometimes. The reason for the pain is because of how hard you are pushing to bar it. Don't worry, its an ok pain. Its harder to form an F because its so close to the nut and the strings are harder to push there. You'll be ok with more practice you'll get it.
Quote by kpasa01
Sometimes I think that the F chord is properly named. Because its hard as F*** to get it to work sometimes. ...

I don't get why so many people say the F chord is so hard... It's actually really easy, I think the Dm is a little harder, because I'm prone to use my ring finger instead of my pinky and it ends up straining sometimes, but there is more than 1 way to play the F, if the "133211" version gives you trouble try "x03211" Then you just have to barre the bottom 2 strings, or you can play it without barreing at all but the barre is easier
try warming up first before doing some extreme streches and strenuous practice, also make sure your holding the neck right. where does it hurts? cause if it hurts on your finger tips, its just lacking of calluses
one should not feel threatened by opinions contrary to his own
When I first had to learn the F chord, I played it as xx3211 or x33211. It also might be the tension level on the guitar.

I can barre an F easily on some guitars, and have a very difficult time on others. Though lots of people have a difficult time barring full chords in general.
Try to barre all six strings with your index finger and see if you can strike all of the strings without any buzzing or deaded notes. Just keep on adding fingers an it'll come. Turn your finger on your side and if your elbow goes into your side (just for now) that's fine. Work on extending the elbow when you get better at it.
you could always just play it xx321x
"insert witty somewhat racial, innapropriate, degrading comment here"
that pain is one of your finger muscles getting its little ass kicked by the barre... don't worry, it will get stronger soon enough
Will Work For Gear
How much are you bending your wrist? You wanna keep your wrist as straight as possible. That might mean you need to raise the guitar up or stop tilting it to look at what you're doing--or whatever.
How thick are the strings you are using?

Try a lighter gauge, I'm using 11-50s and playing chords like that for a while gets my hand really tired - see: Opeth - The Drapery Falls

If you are just starting out, I'd say go for 9-42 and build yourself up.
Quote by MaAal_MaAan
i don't see any reason not to. Although, when i was little, i had a bad experience and pissed all over my feet, i've since improved my aim dramatically and always get in the hole.

Last.FM
Quote by Fecker
that pain is one of your finger muscles getting its little ass kicked by the barre... don't worry, it will get stronger soon enough

Lol, funniest thing I've seen today