Page 1 of 2
When I first started playing guitar I never knew that there where guitars for left handed people. So I bought a right handed guitar and got lessons....
I have never met anybody that is left handed and plays right handed guitar....any of you guys like me? Do you know any artists that are left handed and play right handed guitars? I am very curious.

Peace
Jimmi Hendrix????

Turned his righty guitar upside down and switched the strings....

Im a lefty and I use a lefty guitar
i'm a lefty and i use a righty guitar. like you, i didn't know that there were lefty guitars when i started. so i bought a righty guitar and played it. it's probably better this way, seeing as how i'm more dextrous with my left hand anyway.
So, you fret with your left hand, even though you're left handed? I have a friend who does the same thing. Only he's pretty dumb, and left-handed guitars didn't even occur to him. He can play pretty good, but he stumbles around a lot. I can't help but wonder if he would become teh ubershred if he got a left-handed guitar.
My friend is left handed but plays a regularily strung right handed guitar (his fretting hand is his left hand) and he has been playing for 8 or 9 years. He's a great player and when i asked him about it he said he thinks that if he had of played a left handed guitar the whole time he may be slightly faster. I sort of doubt it, becuase he's already awesome. Hope that helped.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
I'm a lefty and I play righty, but hopefully soon I'll be able to get a lefty guitar so I can teach myself how to play both ways
Quote by long gone
r u good??

did u evetually get the hang of playin like that?

Ya i am!...lol

I never knew there was left handed guitars. I thought it was normal. I thought everybody did that.I picked up a ledt handed guitar in a store and in 10 minutes I was playing a few songs! I couldint belive it!!
I'm not like this but know that Michael Angelo plays both ways (sometimes at the same time)
My friend Tim is left handed and plays a right handed bass...it's quite cool actually. And another friend is left handed, buy plays a right handed guitar because he didnt want to learn how to play upside down. Another friend plays a right handed guitar upside down...and he's quite good (his dad plays this way too).

One of the education assistant's in my school is right handed and is in a Beatles cover band as Paul, so he can play both right and left handed guitar and bass (he also plays drums, keyboards, sings...and possibly many other instruments...lol)
Last edited by Tsunoyukami at May 14, 2006,
Yeah, the vocalist in my band is left handed and he plays a righty guitar, he's actually quite good too.
im left handed and i play right handed, so does my guitar tutor. it makes more sense in my view i mean the strummings the easy bit so isnt it just sense to use your best hand to do the most coordination and work? i intend on learning left soon (i can play a couple tunes left, but nothing substantial)

and yes, i dont mean this in a big headed way but, I AM GOOD at guitar, a lot of musicians i know infact think that i am Very Good at guitar.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
I bet you could play right handed or left handed, if you picked up a guitar for the first time.

Before I knew how to play, I played my dad's guitar left handed. I'm a righty, though.

I think it's just whichever way you choose to start playing. You can teach yourself to be right handed instead of left handed at the very beginning, prolly.
you tell me who's better. i think good charlote are better than the bealtes but that's only because their lyrics mean more and they are better musicians.

Member #4 of The Mars Volta fanclub. PM happytimeharry to join.
Quote by AC/zeppelin/DC
Jimmi Hendrix????

Turned his righty guitar upside down and switched the strings....

Im a lefty and I use a lefty guitar

well that still means that he played guitar left handed. hes the main reason i want to learn guitar the way i was really meant to in the first place (left handed).
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
I'm lefty and i play right handed cause there's no way i could get a lefty guitar (they cost more 90% of the time)
I play like this too. I never met anyone that was like me either. But unlike threadstarted um I actually knew that they made left handed guitars lol, I just played on my dad's. Why wouldn't they make them? I had too prove to my dad I was taking it serious before he bought me one. I now have a left-handed strat, but I switched the strings, because that's how I taught myself to play. Having a left handed model is just for my convienence. Ya know, like pluggin in the wire and wearing a strap.
froosh has my heart

You are electric?

You love me.
I'm lefty playing right handed style. I never knew either until like a week later, but i tried a lefty and i could play it ok, not as good as i could righty tho.
I'm lefty at eveything except guitar... holding a lefty just seems so... wrong.
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
first guitar i played was my dads right-handed acoustic. When i went on to learn guitar at school, i tried left-handed and it felt awkward so i stuck with right-handed guitars. It also mght interest you that mark knofler (dire straights) is left handed but plays right handed
Quote by masterohumans
there is something wrong with you that has nothing to do with that instrument you want to build.
When i started, i played left handed, but when i came to buy my guitar, i found it very difficult to get one i wanted, or they were just toooo expensive. So i learnt to play right, took some time to get used to it. But im fine now.
I use my left hand for anything involving one hand so writing, throwing, etc. But for two-handed actions I use the right-handed method so holding a cricket bat, golf club and of course, guitar. I think this makes it easier as my most-coordinated hand is doing the hard stuff while my right only has to move up and down basically. I feel completely stupid trying to play a lefty, so I dont think it's the way I should have started in the first place.
I know you asked if anyone Famous is lefty and plays a right handed guitar. Synester Gates of Avenged Sevenfold i think is. I saw him signing autographs with his Left Hand so i figured he was left handed then he plays right this is just my assumption though
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by TyphoidSpider
I use my left hand for anything involving one hand so writing, throwing, etc. But for two-handed actions I use the right-handed method so holding a cricket bat, golf club and of course, guitar. I think this makes it easier as my most-coordinated hand is doing the hard stuff while my right only has to move up and down basically. I feel completely stupid trying to play a lefty, so I dont think it's the way I should have started in the first place.

Im the exact same way guitar i play right and batting and golfing right but writting and throwing left. its wierd because the motion of the fingers for playing piano my right hand fingers are more nimble or whatever but for playing guitar my left fretting hand is alot faster which i think is wierd
I write with my left hand, but do everything else (like always use for anything involving hands/ throw a football/ etc) with my right.

So I got a regular right hand guitar, and fret with my left like normal, and i'm pretty decent I think. Never really thought about it as any sort of hinderence.
Mark Knopfler is left handed but plays guitar the righty way...

just thought youd like to know that....
i'm a lefty and i play a righty, and from most of the people that have heard me i do a pretty damn decent job of it, i knew i was playing it "incorrectly" initially (i knew i was playing a right handed guitar and that they made lefties) but i figured it didn't matter and i would rather have good fret control w/ my left hand and work on my picking w/ my right, i'm glad i did that cuz i think it helped me alot starting out, but thats just me
he did............but im lefty and play mainly lefties but i got a right handed one...........if youve not ever noticed alot of great guitarists are the opposite handed when they play

like alot of great guitarists are left handed but play righty because they would fret with their left hand which is their stronger and more coordinated hand....im right handed and play left handed so i get the same effect so my abilities are way better than my friends who play right handed bc their right handed
Herman Li is left handed but plays a right handed guitar, and plays it fast. Because he is just that much better than you.
I'm a lefty and I play righty. Honestly, i think it was a better choice (just my opinion.). I can barely fret (at least compared to my left hand) with my right hand, and picking isn't that hard to do, so..
Jimi Hendrix and Paul McCartney played flipped right-handed ones sometimes, but I don't know of any famous people that play right-handed. I have a terrorist friend who plays right-handed. And also Ringo is left-handed, but plays right-handed.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Quote by KurtCobain9898
When I first started playing guitar I never knew that there where guitars for left handed people. So I bought a right handed guitar and got lessons....
I have never met anybody that is left handed and plays right handed guitar....any of you guys like me? Do you know any artists that are left handed and play right handed guitars? I am very curious.

Peace

I'm just like you. I think it helps for some songs and techniques...
steve morse (currently in Deep Purple) is left handed but plays his guitar "normally". You will be able to achieve better results at certain techniques
Im a lefty but I'd rather not pay twice as much for a left handed guitar so I got me a right handed one
im left handed and play guitar right handedly. I first started learning on a friends (right handed) acoustic when i was 6, i got used to it and have never changed.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
lefty here, i play right handed though, felt natural. i keep meaning to restring my cheaper guitar upside down and learning both ways
Page 1 of 2