everyone keeps talkin about shreding what does that mean?sorry if i annoy u with my stupidity.
your once gentle words are bleeding from my eyes ,screams of terror now fill my every breath...
It usually refers to crazy fast solos that use scales & crap. Although shred altogether playing incorporates a lot of stuff.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Shredding is a style of guitar largely dominated by ****ty poser bands and want-to-be's. Its basically theory based playing with particular focus on speed, scaling, etc.

Don't shred in public until you are good enough to.

Shredding by itself unfortunately often enough isnt even musical. Some people have a musical ear and some dont. Those that dont need to learn the every rule in the book before they can write any music at all. Those that have it can do alot with a little. Its all about the person.
Quote by silentdud
Shredding is a style of guitar largely dominated by ****ty poser bands and want-to-be's. Its basically theory based playing with particular focus on speed, scaling, etc.

Don't shred in public until you are good enough to.

Shredding by itself unfortunately often enough isnt even musical. Some people have a musical ear and some dont. Those that dont need to learn the every rule in the book before they can write any music at all. Those that have it can do alot with a little. Its all about the person.
Don't be a dolt.
people that rag on shred are only jealous that they cant do that themselves.

look up that video of michael angelo batio, hes crazy fast.

most of the time shred players are really fast, but that does not imply lack of emotion or knowledge. it only implies that

their speed > your speed.

at the same time, michael angelo batio makes me think

'Masturbation'
Quote by boardsofcanada

most of the time shred players are really fast, but that does not imply lack of emotion or knowledge. it only implies that

'Masturbation'
This is the most intelligent post on shred that I've read in a while.
I always thought shredding was use of power chords and such, I knowthey use mostly scales and whatnot, but I thought it was basically all power chords
Quote by JnPtsmkn420
I always thought shredding was use of power chords and such, I knowthey use mostly scales and whatnot, but I thought it was basically all power chords
That's completely wrong.

Edit: This isn't supposed to sound mean.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at May 14, 2006,
Quote by boardsofcanada

False. Rather, it's the oppsoite... people who shred are only jealous of people who can actually make a phrase from 3 notes. THOSE are the REAL guitarists in this world.

Shred is quite the technical style, yes, and it requires a lot of talent, yes. But 99% of them suck at musical application. I absolutely love the 1% that have a good idea of the music itself.

For that 99%, there is nothing much better to do than play as fast as possible to raise their ego...

'Masturbation'

Except that.

red
Looking for my India/Django.
no one so far it seems has actually given a decent definition of shredding. shredding is bassically playing at fast speeds very cleanly and using varies of tecniques.

its not just for posers....any one says that is obviously a fool, small minded and dosnt have the capability to shred.

those who say limit shredding to specific genres obviously need to open there minds a bit more and realise you can apply shred to most generes within reason.
satch boogie
One of the most well known shred guitarists - Joe Satriani.

Here's a cover of someone playing a part of one of his songs - he's capable of both shred ( in the fast, clean, proficient playing ) and the emotive aspect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqksM-rl0gU&search=satriani%20cryin
i think that in this thread so far, only Bangoodcharlotte, Boardsofcanada, Redwing_Suck, and Sir Edwin CBE are reliable and have told good info.

Mr Hyde: not really about the genres. If you take a band and tell em to do a blues progression while you shred, it turns into Blues Shred. In ordinary Blues music you wouldnt see someone doing a shred solo, thats because the whole point of the Blues is to convey the emotion your feeling. if a Blues song is about Georgia, then you're showing the audience how you feel about georgia using about 3 and a half minutes, a 12 bar blues progression, and a ES 335. A 2 bar straight 32nd note lick going up and down a blues scale dosnt fit 99.95% of blues songs.

tho you could argue for SOME genres you're theory applies. such as Rock or Metal, because shred makes the song sound fast, upbeat, driving, etc, all of which apply to the generic rock or metal song.

and Metal_master15: i agree with some but not all of those choices. i havnt listened to cacophony, and COB... well i dont think alexi's got the most original shred things. tho some of his catchy riffs i enjoy (needled 24/7). i just dont listen to them much anymore.
It's all about context. Riffs/Solos are musical expressions of anything the artist wants. If someone plays fast but meaningless in context, it will sound like ****. If someone plays something fast and the notes are relative, it can sound good.

EX: Beast and the Harlot solo. Musically, if you tear it down, not the best. Uses alot of chromatic licks in there that played slow would sound crappy(I'm referring to the last part where they harmonize in that descending chromatic lick). However, the song is about the Fall of Babylon, so when you're in the mood of the song and you hear the solo it fits perfect, the last lick is going fast enough where it sounds like it's falling chaotically, fitting the theme "Fall of Babylon."

EX2: Trippin on A Hole in A Paper Heart solo. When it gets to that breakdown near the begining where hes playing the same four notes in an odd pattern, that may not sound very musical slow or out of context. However, the song is about a bad trip on acid where he's freaking out, and that lick captures that emotion perfectly.

It all depends on the context and delivery. Playing fast can be good or bad, just as playing slow. It's just easier to play slow and have it sound good, which is why alot of shredders produce stuff that doesn't sound that well; it's alot more difficult to do.

Bry
Shredder: is a term for a guitarist who focuses on highly advanced technical playing.

some shredders to start with:

Yngwie Malmsteen
Paul Gilbert
Michael Angelo Batio
Chuck Schuldiner
Michael Romeo

some guitarists who use high advanced technique but are not refered as shredders:

Al Dimeola
John Mclaughlin
Allan Holdsworth
Nuno Bettencourt
Joe Pass
Frank Gambale
Stanley Jordan
Steve Vai
Steve Morse
Shawn Lane
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
Greg Howe
Eddie Van Halen
Randy Rhoads
Etc...

the fusion guitarists in the 70's are called pre-shredders since they pioneered playing with an advanced technique like Al Dimeola with Return To Forever ,John Mclaughlin with The Mahavishnu Orchestra and Allan Holdsworth with Tony Williams Lifetime.

in 1984 a young guitarist named Yngwie Malmsteen introduced the world into shredding guitar by blending baroque,classical and heavy metal music with an advanced technique
which would be named SHREDDING.

the term shredding is mostly used for Heavy Metal guitarists.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
Last edited by Evil_Empire24-7 at May 15, 2006,
Quote by boardsofcanada

'Masturbation'

I can shred just fine, and I hate it. Please dont confuse "shred" with "playing fast"
You wouldnt call Vai's Tender Surrender "shred" would you?
do you know you contradicted your self by saying that shredding isnt musical after saying that its based on THEORY, THATS MUSICAL THEORY jack ass you probably suck at guitar go kill yourself emo joe . oH! and ****ty poser bands?? can you tell me, what exactly are ****ty poser bands, sorry not all bands can be as good as good charlotte green day and your only mad because strumming an acoustic guitar or playing barre and power chords takes no talent......kill your self...now cause your not hardcore!!!!
Quote by JnPtsmkn420

no mainly single-notes tripplets 16ths. arpeggios,sweep picking,
Quote by Nickelwound9's
do you know you contradicted your self by saying that shredding isnt musical after saying that its based on THEORY, THATS MUSICAL THEORY jack ass you probably suck at guitar go kill yourself emo joe . oH! and ****ty poser bands?? can you tell me, what exactly are ****ty poser bands, sorry not all bands can be as good as good charlotte green day and your only mad because strumming an acoustic guitar or playing barre and power chords takes no talent......kill your self...now cause your not hardcore!!!!

Are you kidding me? This post is three months old

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
too many people misinterpret the meaning of shred and mistake it for wanking

shred is taking your playing to the next level of technical proficiency in a way that enhances the artist's ability to express themselves freely and without restriction...it's so rare because there are many who decide to learn to play fast, but very few which decide to make music and learn that chops aren't everything, but merely a tool to express yourself

many guitarists can express themselves just fine with a few notes i.e. David Gilmour

so, the majority of "shredders" on youtube are officially "wankers" - don't confuse the two
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.