What is a vibrato?

You know the little "~" thingy.

What is it? And what is its purpose?
It's where you bend the string back and forth quickly to give the note a warbly sound.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Shake your wrist in a rocking motion parallel to the neck while keeping your finger pushing the string and your thumb behind the neck. It gives a "wobbly" sound i guess, its not really a good word but i guess the sound just vibrates more, changes pitches slightly back and forth. Anyway, its just used to make a different tone/style.

EDIT: (For upright)
bend the string up and down really fast. if you do it right, it should give it a sound similar to what a whammy bar would do. that's the best thing i can compare the sound to.
Its an interesting effect, mainly used by fretless and Upright players.

Wiggle your finger as fast as you can inside the fret.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
also slapping the string when doing it sounds real cool too. more like a whammy bar than without slapping it.
Ibanez SR400
Ampeg BA112
Digitech Whammy WH-4 > Boss NS2 Noise Gate, NS2 Send (Boss GEB7 Bass EQ) NS2 Return > Boss CEB3 Bass Chorus > Ampeg BA112
vibrato's done pretty much by wiggling the strings.

its used to make a note ring out longer, especialy on fretless basses and slide guitar, since notes dont ring out very well played on those instruments. it also makes a run sound alot more professional and lively.

its also a good way to see how experienced someone is, during a solo a good player will vibrato the last note of pretty much every run.
Quote by SocKo?
vibrato's done pretty much by wiggling the strings.

its used to make a note ring out longer,

No, it's not.

Vibrato is a small variation in pitch. Nothing more, nothing less. How you use it artistically is up to you. Tremelo is a small variation in amplitude (or volume for those less educated in sound theory), and Wah is a variation in frequency.

Quote by WashBurn!
I only started playing friday..

I've been learning so much.

Welcome to the world of bass. Practice properly and in six months to a year you will be well on your way. Remember, things will be hard until they are easy, just keep at it and don't lose the drive. Ask your questions here and we will help as best we can..

BB
x
Gear Lists Are For Boys Who Masturbate Too Much.
Last edited by bassbitch at May 15, 2006,
Thank you for the quick advice.

Is that how to do it? ^^^^^

For the next few months I'm teaching myself how to play since all the bass teachers in my small community are overloaded with students.

So, I haven't really read my "learn how to play bass" book, only because they use actual notes
not tab.. So it's really confusing.
Last edited by WashBurn! at May 15, 2006,
Quote by WashBurn!
Thank you for the quick advice.

Is that how to do it? ^^^^^

For the next few months I'm teaching myself how to play since all the bass teachers in my small community are overloaded with students.

So, I haven't really read my "learn how to play bass" book, only because they use actual notes
not tab.. So it's really confusing.

yes, that is the gyst of it. If you hadn't noticed, in that situation the guitarist is just doing really light, quick bends over and over - which is in essence what vibrato is.

Yeah, starting out completly with notation could be a problem; but in the long run you're probably better off starting there then picking it up later.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!