Alright, so i've been an acoustic player for about a year now, and want to start playing some electric. Only thing is, I have NO idea what to buy!

I have around $500 to $600 to spend. I'd like it to be pretty versatile, not too concerned about the ability to play anything metal-like.
I'd also like an amp.. which I guess i could spend another $200 on. I'd just be playing mostly at home or with some friends, but I don't want anything too small or weak.

Threads like this one are usually welcome in the acoustic forum, sorry if it isn't here.

Thanks in advance.
hey im buying my first electric soon too im looking at lp's sg's and strats but i love the les pauls(epi of course)
(1) You should spend at least as much money on your amp as you do on your guitar, if not more.

(2) In your price range, there are a ridiculous amount of guitars to buy. What sort of music do you think you'll actually be playing? Who are some of your favorite electric guitar players?
Hi, I'm Peter
If you don't like metal, buy a Fender strat style guitar. If you want the ability to play metal, rock and anything else though, I'd buy a guitar that has humbucking, dual coil pickups. (Fenders typically have single coil pickups.)
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
i might just be crazy but try out a prs se they're about 400 and they sound really good i just like um
Quote by Dirk Gently
(1) You should spend at least as much money on your amp as you do on your guitar, if not more.

(2) In your price range, there are a ridiculous amount of guitars to buy. What sort of music do you think you'll actually be playing? Who are some of your favorite electric guitar players?

Interesting, I was not aware. Thanks.
No particular favourite electric guitar players - I just want to be able to play a lot of things I can't on an acoustic. Like I said, I want one that's pretty versatile, as i'll probably be playing a lot of different kinds of music.

Thanks for the prompt replies.
^^^ You're not crazy. I have a PRS SE Soapbar II that I picked up for $420 that I absolutely love. But there are some downsides to those guitars, such as the non-adjustable stop bar tailpiece. But the stock sound out of the soapbars is great, especially for blues.

Ok...well, a very versatile guitar would be the Fender Strat or Fat Strat. I would especially recommend the Fat Strat if you want the ability to play with heavier distortion sometimes. Fender Telecaster is also a great, versatile guitar. Schecter makes some offerings in your price range, and I've heard good things about their instruments. The PRS SE series is another option.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at May 14, 2006,
i was kinda in the same position u are in now, i studied on acoustic for a year and i ahd no idea what i was doing with electric, lol, but i had less money to spend than you
my first electric was the epiphone les paul 100, i absolutely love it
but you can probably get a better model epi than the 100
such as
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=518350
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=518320
Quote by SuperSnake2012
For $500 you could buy a high end Agile Les Paul (the 3500 model) and that would be a lot better than an Epiphone. For $200, you could get an AD30VT which does pretty much everything, except metal without any pedals.

Links:

http://www.rondomusic.net/al3500prestblkch.html
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Amps?sku=481959

Yes you can get metal out of the vox. I get a very nice metal tone out of mine. I just dont get insane heavy metal.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
Dont Buy Anything From Peavy
I am the Master of Puppies

Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
Line 6 Sp III 30
Ibanez jumpstart (black)
Ibanez toneblaster (small amp)
Digitech RP80 Guitar Workstation
I was in your shoes about a month ago, I ended up buying a G&L Legacy and I love it, it has a great tone was about $400
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Go into a shop, ask to play some guitars WITH the amp you want. Then choose.
Ibanez RG350dx
Ibanez AF85 Artcore VLS
Peavey Bandit 112

Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
Quote by qurazy
Dont Buy Anything From Peavy

Don't take advice from people who can't spell and capitalise each letter in their sentances
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
^^^ It's ironic that you didn't spell "sentences" correctly. I guess, therefore, he shouldn't listen to you. And I agree with the other guy that low-end solid state Peavey amps suck.
Hi, I'm Peter
amp: Roland Cube or VOX
guitar: ibanez RG 1570CB
or ask your granny for $200 and buy a Schecter (you will love it)
Fat Strat+ Vox AD30/50 VT or Roalnd Cube (get teh Cube if you want a metal sound).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^+^^ he just said he didnt want metal tone.

so yeah...get a Fender Standard (Mexican) Fat Strat, (400$), and with the saved 200 on the guitar, add that to the amp's first 200 and get the Peavey Valveking 112.
its not a lower-end amp, and its 50 watts all tube (ask around if you dont get that concept) through one 12-inch speaker, for 400. good deal.
^NO! Spiders suck ***** **** ***** **** **** *****. Get a Fat Strat (wich is extremly versatile) and a either a Vox AD50Vt or a Peavey Valveking.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I agree with Gabel. The guy said NOT metal, and yet the metalheads come out recommending metal guitars and cheap metal amps. Bleh. I'm assuming he wants some character in his tone. So yeah, Fat Strat (should cost you around $450), and then spend the balance on an amp. The Vox AD50VT is a good amp. Never played a Valve King.
Hi, I'm Peter
I agree on the fat strat recommendations, another range to check out would be the godin range they make some nice looking versitile guitars.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
if you decide to spend a little more on the amp, this fender tube amp (blues junior) would be good:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Amps?sku=480512
I have its big brother and--with a pedal or two--it'll do everything except very modern metal.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=513010
if you decide to spend more on the guitar this schecter (c 1 plus) is very versatile. it has a coil splitter so you can change the pickup form a double coil to single whenever you want.

The fat strat is also a great choice, a little cheaper the the schecter i think.