I would really appreciate if someone could tell me exactly what effect pedals does Slash use to get that sound in his lead and intro on "sweet child o mine".. A friend told me that I need the overdrive combined with delay to get that sounds, but the tone that i get from my boss SD1 overdrive + Boss DD6 delay doesn't even get close to that sound.. Is it that I need a better overdrive, like the tubescreamer? Or is it because i'm using the wrong effects..I would really appreciate your help because that's the exact sound i'm looking to use in a song!
Use overdrive with the neck pickup and put lots of reverb. For amp settings check the sticky at the top of the forums.

BTW Regarding your name, is that from the DaVinci Code?
I'm pretty sure Slash didn't use any pedals for the song except the wah for the solo. There is no delay in the intro. You won't get that tone without his equipment and his fingers.
Quote by BumOffBarney
And everyone in this thread, get a life. With the exception of trexgrinder or something like that
all slash used was a jcm 800 with alot of reverb. thats it....for the intro at least...the solo he used a wah system. also he used an eq pedal for his lead boosts during those solos.

but we don't all have that so yeah use overdrive with a ton of reverb and you can get a similiar sound...but you won't get that pinch sound that a tube amp gives at the end of each note so it won't sound exact.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
slash uses a ton of tube overdrive and a hall reverb. you would need a marshall tube amp to get that sound. for the solo, a wah pedal is used. you also need to use the neck pickup on ur guitar.
Quote by 7guitarist7
slash uses a ton of tube overdrive and a hall reverb. you would need a marshall tube amp to get that sound. for the solo, a wah pedal is used. you also need to use the neck pickup on ur guitar.

+1 minus the marshall thing. Tons of non-marshalls do marshall better than marshall.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Here's the low down:

Medium reverb
Chorus for all clean parts
Neck pup with the Tone rolled back to half except for the solo, which is bridge pup wide open.
Wah for the fast part of the solo.

That's it.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by tubetime86
+1 minus the marshall thing. Tons of non-marshalls do marshall better than marshall.

how can a non marshall do 'marshall' better than an actual 'marshall'? A marshall is the exact sound of a marshall.

Woh I think I said marshall too many times
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Quote by robbo546hall
how can a non marshall do 'marshall' better than an actual 'marshall'? A marshall is the exact sound of a marshall.

Not really.

I wouldn't give you a dollar for any Marshall made after the original JCM 800 runs, with the exception of the Silver Jubilee and maybe a 6100 30th anniversary.

There are loads of clones out there that do it better than new Marshalls.

Splawn, Roccaforte, Metropoulos, just to name a few.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Not really.

I wouldn't give you a dollar for any Marshall made after the original JCM 800 runs, with the exception of the Silver Jubilee and maybe a 6100 30th anniversary.

There are loads of clones out there that do it better than new Marshalls.

Splawn, Roccaforte, Metropoulos, just to name a few.

Bill Kelliher has an original JCM800 but uses a JCM800RI and a JCM800KK live.

TS: Here's a good Slash tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=funKOq5CR_E&feature=player_embedded

Its a Gibson LP with a Duncan Jazz in the Bridge and an Alnico II in the neck, a Splawn Quick Rod with an EQ ran through the effects loop, and a cab loaded with Celestion G12T-75s.
Quote by robbo546hall

Because modern production Marshalls aren't the same as the originals people associate with 'THE Marshall sound.' Boutique builders like those mentioned before meticulously recreate the original circuit as best they can to get that sound.

Would you rather have a 2010 Mustang, or a 2010 Shelby Mustang GT? Shelby does Mustang better than Ford.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Because modern production Marshalls aren't the same as the originals people associate with 'THE Marshall sound.' Boutique builders like those mentioned before meticulously recreate the original circuit as best they can to get that sound.

Would you rather have a 2010 Mustang, or a 2010 Shelby Mustang GT? Shelby does Mustang better than Ford.

its a 2010 mustang gt and a shelby gt500
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Last edited by Harvesterofsrrw at Jun 4, 2010,
In his autobiography he talks about what he used. If I remember, it was just a marshal amp, probably a JCM 800. Although he was convinced that it had had some kind of mod done to it, because he rented it for the recording and thought it sounded awesome compared to the others he tried. He apparently planned to steal it. .

But yeah, no pedals.
Quote by rizo299
In his autobiography he talks about what he used. If I remember, it was just a marshal amp, probably a JCM 800. Although he was convinced that it had had some kind of mod done to it, because he rented it for the recording and thought it sounded awesome compared to the others he tried. He apparently planned to steal it. .

But yeah, no pedals.

He actually did steal it. They practiced at the shop that he got the amp from and one of the roadies or techs or something was stupid enough to bring it to a practice and the shop owner instantly recognized it as being his amp.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
He actually did steal it. They practiced at the shop that he got the amp from and one of the roadies or techs or something was stupid enough to bring it to a practice and the shop owner instantly recognized it as being his amp.

Not quite.
He reported it as stolen so he could keep it, but one of his techs took it back. They weren't that happy that he'd said that it was stolen and wouldn't rent it back to him.

It was a modded marshall of some sort, though I don't think it was a JCM 800.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by Sampy
Not quite.
He reported it as stolen so he could keep it, but one of his techs took it back. They weren't that happy that he'd said that it was stolen and wouldn't rent it back to him.

It was a modded marshall of some sort, though I don't think it was a JCM 800.

It was a 1959 that had been modified by Tim Caswell. He used it to record Appetite. I'm pretty sure that he did something at the store the amp belonged to and one of his roadies brought it to the shop one day by accident or something along those lines.
the orginal AFD tone was a modded Marshall Super Tremolo from what I remember
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
the orginal AFD tone was a modded Marshall Super Tremolo from what I remember

Nope. Modded 1959.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Nope. Modded 1959.

Sure about that?

http://www.slashsworld.com/equipment/the-appetite-amp-story/sweet-marshall-o-mine/
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Okay, so I said it was a 1959 modded by Tim Caswell and it was a 1959T. Is there really a big difference tone-wise between the Super Lead and the Super Tremolo?

nope, pretty much the same circuit afaik, but I wanted to correct you is all
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
nope, pretty much the same circuit afaik, but I wanted to correct you is all

Blah!!

Okay, wise guy. What model was James Hetfield's "Mythical Marshall"??
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Blah!!

Okay, wise guy. What model was James Hetfield's "Mythical Marshall"??

Jose Modified 100 watt Marshall SLP wasn't it? could be wrong. i'm not a metallica fanboi
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
Jose Modified 100 watt Marshall SLP wasn't it? could be wrong. i'm not a metallica fanboi

I honestly don't know. I've never actually found the model - I've always heard it referred to it as "The mythical Marshall that was modded by some guy in L.A. that worked on EVH's amps".
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I honestly don't know. I've never actually found the model - I've always heard it referred to it as "The mythical Marshall that was modded by some guy in L.A. that worked on EVH's amps".

lolstack for you!

back to the original intent of this thread

Modded Super Trem
Les Paul with PAF's
Wah
little bit of Chorus
nice hall reverb

= SCOM
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
lolstack for you!

back to the original intent of this thread

Modded Super Trem
Les Paul with PAF's
Wah
little bit of Chorus
nice hall reverb

= SCOM

Did you watch the video I posted?? Pretty convincing SCOM tone, imo - the guy said its just his guitar (with a SD Jazz pickup in the bridge and Alnico II pickup in the neck), his Splawn Quick Rod with an EQ ran through the FX loop to boost the treble, and a cab loaded with Celestion G12T-75s. Doesn't say anything about chorus or reverb
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Did you watch the video I posted?? Pretty convincing SCOM tone, imo - the guy said its just his guitar (with a SD Jazz pickup in the bridge and Alnico II pickup in the neck), his Splawn Quick Rod with an EQ ran through the FX loop to boost the treble, and a cab loaded with Celestion G12T-75s. Doesn't say anything about chorus or reverb

it is VERY convincing, I've seen it. i'm just going by the recording that's all. and that has a ton of hall reverb and a touch of chorus
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by i_am_metalhead

I can't be arsed to watch the clip, but I don't use reverb either because the hall or room should provide it unless it's acoustically dead.

You don't need the chorus, per se, since SCOM's cleans are very subtle in the mix, but if you want authentic that's the way to go. Slash nearly always used chorused cleans.

It'd definitely sound wrong if you didn't use chorus on something like Knockin' or Paradise City.

Quote by i_am_metalhead
Okay, so I said it was a 1959 modded by Tim Caswell and it was a 1959T. Is there really a big difference tone-wise between the Super Lead and the Super Tremolo?

Actually there is in my experience. The Tremolo models sound more like a JTM45 with a bit less sag when pushed.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by bubb_tubbs
...something like Knockin'...

Please don't even reference that song when speaking of GnR. Dylan is the only name that should be used in conjunction with that song.
^ TBH, I can't stand most of the songs Bob Dylan did that were covered well. His style just isn't my thing. (folk sucks)

Hendrix did a better version of AATW.

GnR did a better version of KOHD.

But, I think stuff like Times They Are Changin' and Like a Rollin' Stone are distinctly Dylan.

why is it that whenever someone posts a thread about slashs gear or slashs effects or slashs whatever, everyone flocks to it and has long intimate discussions? the dude used such little gear, that was the whole point

(besides his 86586574496760692334 les pauls)

as has been mentioned - 800-ish amp, reverb, 535Q rackmount system, and a les paul and you'll be 60% there

the other 40% can be achieved by playing guitar for decades, fitting into tight leather pants, wearing a top hat, vicodin, and lots of pre-show booze. and hundreds of strange women with diseases you cant even pronounce.

and rename yourself slash. no last name.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ TBH, I can't stand most of the songs Bob Dylan did that were covered well. His style just isn't my thing. (folk sucks)

Hendrix did a better version of AATW.

GnR did a better version of KOHD.

But, I think stuff like Times They Are Changin' and Like a Rollin' Stone are distinctly Dylan.

No. Folk is awesome. And GnR's cover is absolutely horrendous! Axl is so terrible.
What about being all hip with the times and naming yourself:

/

And no, folk is awful. About the only acoustic song I like is the Gerudo Canyon theme from Zelda 64.

Cause Dylan could sing? they were both terrible. The difference is one has a guitar rhythm that doesn't put you to sleep.

Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jun 4, 2010,
Quote by bubb_tubbs
What about being all hip with the times and naming yourself:

/

And no, folk is awful. About the only acoustic song I like is the Gerudo Canyon theme from Zelda 64.

Cause Dylan could sing? they were both terrible. The difference is one has a guitar rhythm that doesn't put you to sleep.

Well you can be as closed minded as you want. I bet you don't like bluegrass either?

And I never said that Dylan could sing. But he is what made his music his. Axl is just an annoying, ego-maniacal douche bag.

Oh but you are right about one thing - the GnR version is pretty good at putting you to sleep.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Jun 4, 2010,
I hate country and most non-CCR/Kansas Southern as well. No genre shall escape my utter disdain!

Have you guys seen this video with Slash and the AFD100 builder? You can tell Slash was clueless as to the amp he used back in the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTFGuP9J6Dg

Edit: shoot, I thought this was Brett's thread.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 5, 2010,