I recently came into an old piece of crap hallowbody les paul type guitar (my friend's step dad made it, my friend got a mexican strat and gave me the hallowbody) and I'm planning on fixing it up. I really love the body, the wood sounds and looks great, but the top has some odd cuts into it due to my friend's step dad's either lack of carpentry skills or shear laziness....... instead of doing all the wiring inside the guitar, he just cut a path through the top and stuck a huge ass pickguard over the whole mess. So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to do... I was thinking about replacing the whole top all together but I'm not quite sure how to go about doing that...... ideas?
Schecter Jolly Roger
Epiphone G-310
Behringer V-Ampire

Quote by Chungavelli
Yes, but if Bob Dylan were from Holland, he'd be an asshole.

Member #3 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
anyone?
Schecter Jolly Roger
Epiphone G-310
Behringer V-Ampire

Quote by Chungavelli

How long was that you waited for an answer?

I'd say, get it checked out by a pro first of all.
I dont care that much about it to take it somewhere, plus I have no money, and I want to rebuild this on my own. What I was thinking is cut the top as close to the structral support wood, then shave the top to the wood then put on a new piece. Can someone who knows something about working with guitar bodies tell me if thats a good idea or give me a better one?
Schecter Jolly Roger
Epiphone G-310
Behringer V-Ampire

Quote by Chungavelli

Any pics?
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
London City Comet MK1
London City Spitfire II (Modded)
Squire Tele Custom (Modded)

Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Line 6 Echo Park Delay
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Replacing the top will cost a lot of money. Just leave the pickguard on and call it good. There really isn't much else you can do.
Not taking any online orders.
no pics, I could get some though.....

and are you sure I couldn't do it myself not too expensive? I'm not looking for a high quality gibson type job here, I'm basically just making a guitar to mess around with and to practice some electronics skills on.

I was thinking (as I said above) to cut as much of the top off as possible, sand the top where its glued to the structure, then put some other top on. it would only cost the wood because thats the only thing I dont have, and most woods I could put on wouldn't be too bad price wise unless you get into those exotic crazy expensive woods.......
Schecter Jolly Roger
Epiphone G-310
Behringer V-Ampire

Quote by Chungavelli

Yes I'm sure it's going to cost a lot

1st off, you said you liked the sound from the guitar. The top is where you get 90% of the guitars tone. If you replace the top you will have a guitar that sound compleatly different.

2nd, the tonewood required to make a top will cost a lot of money. If you are sitting state side you will be looking at spending about $190 plus shipping for a mid grade board to carve your top out of. If you don't have the special chisels and plains you need to carve the top you are looking at a couple hundred for tools as well.
well then, I guess I have other questions.

is it alright to screw a second pickup to just the top (it only has 1 pickup, neck position). theres only 1 piece of wood underneath and I figuered it'd be best to attach the bridge there (the bridge was not attached to the body at all, it was basically held on by the strings) and its nearly impossible to put more wood into the body (unless anyone's got another way of doing it, in which case I'd be glad to hear about it).

and

what would be the best tool to use to cut pickguard material (I've never cut pickguard, and need a custom one to accomodate the odd cuts in the top).

sorry if my questions and such are getting annoying, I've never worked on a hallowbody guitar.
Schecter Jolly Roger
Epiphone G-310
Behringer V-Ampire

Quote by Chungavelli

It's HOLLOW BODY for one.

I suggest not tinkering with the bridge. It will serve you well if you dont.

To cut a pickguard, you'll need to score it first (making a cut in it, not fully though). People usually use a craft knife (an Exact-o knife I believe) then they just snap it from there. It's obviously a half-way or further cut.
Quote by CemtaryDrive10
well then, I guess I have other questions.

is it alright to screw a second pickup to just the top (it only has 1 pickup, neck position).

No it won't be ok. If you try and screw it directly into the top you will crack the top, you will deaden the tone, and you might possibly damage the guitar beyond repair. If you want a second pickup on a guitar like yours then you should attach it to the pickguard. It will sound better, and you won't run the risk of damaging your guitar at all.

thres only 1 piece of wood underneath and I figuered it'd be best to attach the bridge there (the bridge was not attached to the body at all, it was basically held on by the strings) and its nearly impossible to put more wood into the body (unless anyone's got another way of doing it, in which case I'd be glad to hear about it).

Why do you want to put more wood on the body? I must have missed something

As for attaching the bridge... Don't do it. Archtop guitars need a bridge that isn't attached. It's not supposed to be attached. If you do attach it then when then you will have no way of adjusting the intonation.

what would be the best tool to use to cut pickguard material (I've never cut pickguard, and need a custom one to accomodate the odd cuts in the top).

I'd use a router, or a coping saw. A router will be faster but a coping saw is easier to use. I'd suggest making the pickguard out of a hardwood like ebony, or rosewood. Maple or oak would work good too. Keep in mind that a pickguard on an archtop is not actually supposed to touch the top of the guitar at all. You make a mounting bracket that connects to the side of the guitar and then the pickguard floats above the top of the guitar. That way you don't have the pickguard dampening the sound.

Take a look that this pic. You can see the mounthing bracket on the right. If you make a long pickguard like this one it will be easy to mount the pickup directly to the pickguard too. The archtop gutiars that have the pickups mounted to the guitar are not true hollowbody guitars.

ok havent checked this in a while

first, for the mounting bracket, I see les paul ones pretty cheap and easy to find, would that suffice?

next, where can I get a replacement bridge because I mean, if you could just see this bridge............ its just aweful.....

I'm not sure about the whole hardwood pickguard idea either

the pickguard on this thing was just matteboard (such as used to display photographs in galleries) with plexiglass glued on and it still sounded good despite that terrible pickguard, so wouldn't a real pickguard be all right? I'd also be a bit worried about the weight with a hardwood pickguard, because the pickguard covers more of the pickguard then it would on most guitars, and the weight 1) could make it a bit heavy for playing and more importantly 2)could change the sound (for the worst)

plus I'm on a bit of a budget and most of it will go to a new neck, and any hardwood I've seen online is kind of expensive (I haven't been to a store to look at wood for a long long time, and I dont know of any lumberyards around me though I guess after remembering lumberyards I'll look one up)

dont worry, my initial questions are almost done (those are it). might have more when I finally get around to working on it, which will probably be late in the summer cause the way my employers do the paying, I don't get a check until a month after I've started, and I dont start for another couple weeks. you've all been wonderful by the way, thank you all.
Schecter Jolly Roger
Epiphone G-310
Behringer V-Ampire

Quote by Chungavelli

The LP mounting brackets will work just fine. A lot of archtop guitars just use a small block of wood screwed directly to the heelblock and pickguard.

Precarved replacement bridges can be found at www.stewmac.com

For the pick guard? Because the pick guard is not mounted to the top of the guitar the weight will not be changing the tone of the guitar. The weight of a hardwood pickguard will be significantly less then that of 1 single coil pickup so when compared to your 2 humbuckers a solid wood pickgaurd will hardly be noticeable.

You can use other plastics for the pickguard if you want but you need to be sure they are sturdy enough to mount the pickups to. Keep in mind that the pickup will be hanging off of 1 side of the pickguard and will be free floating on the other. That means you will need something significantly stronger than a ?normal? pick guard used on less pauls. If you can find something string enough then great, otherwise, maple is relatively cheap.

Does this guitar have a bolt on neck??? If it doesn?t then you can?t just buy a neck to fit it. You will have to carve you own neck and you could use the leftover neck material for your pickguard and the pickgaurd mounts it won?t cost you anything
^you never cease to amaze me with knowledge. you deserve a medal.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel