Jsut a question on how I can mute one string and still play others around it:

For Example

--2--
--2--
------
--4--
------
------

How should I play that, what techniques to use. Sometimes I rest my finger on the string and it will mute it slightly, but I will also get a ringing or buzzing sound, sometimes it's not hard enough and the whole note comes out, or whatever

EDIT: Don't know if this makes a difference but I'm trying to use fingerpicking
I would barre the 2s with the index finger, and have the tip of the index finger touch the g string from the side a bit so it mutes it. Then I guess fret the 4 with your ring or pinky, which ever you want.

EDIT: oh for finger picking..hmm well I guess the muting it from the side idea could still work..

I don't know though.
dude pysch, your a genious, I always thought that was a myth, but apperently it works
yeah i was kind of confused when he said that, It seems a little odd to pluck all 3 strings individually, but oh well, thats why I'm learning Dee, I got to get get better at that..
well I jsut pointing out that the song I'm learning is fingerpicking and I know I would strum this particular chord or whatever it is. I appreciate the response, it jsut seems I need to practice a little more cause when you said barre the first 2 and use the otehr for a mute I had a better grasp and I got the string to mute over 50% more then I was before, so it will jsut take time

EDIT:

It seems you really know your stuff, I envy you man, any other cheap tricks I could use to become a master like yourself
Quote by Psychedelic
yea the banana method dates back to the ancient times of american cathlocism

Lol, history joke! Americans have always hated Catholics, it took til JFK to have a Catholic.... president........ Oh. I'm looking into this way too far, huh? Dang.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Psychedelic
dude... no not at all
90% of americans are catholic

I wish you weren't a liar...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I would mute the g string with whatever finger i was fretting the 4 with (probably my ring but that is just my preference), and just have have touch that string.