i was thinking of putting emg 81 and 85's in my ibanez and someone told me that emg's dont sound good in an ibanez because of the wood type they are made from, but ive played one with emgs in it and i thoght it sounded good, what do you think>?
my friend has an ibanez with emgs an it sounds REALLY good an i would suggest you get 81 an 60 if you want high gain
Go for it. EMGs sounds the best in mahogany guitars, sounds pretty good on an alder too. But for basswood, its just fine, you will feel a slight tiny winy change in tone compared to the mahogany built. Basswoods are better off with DiMarzios IMO, or SDs.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at May 15, 2006,
EMGs sound decent in anything, ever better in mahogony
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
I played a friends S570 that had EMG's in it, and it was freaking awesome.
ESP H-300 (EMG81/85)
Ibanez RG570
Ashton VP30
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CE-5
Boss DS-2
Behringer EQ-700
Member #12 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Mr T of the Avatar A-Team.
I m looking at getting a Alder Jackson V, so EMG 81's are a good bet for a nice metal tone?

However Ive seen someout modd their Jackson (same model as I'm getting) with a 85 in the bridge... is a 81 or 85 better in the bridge for a nice heavy, attacky (drop C tuned already) tone?
EMG standard killer combo and most common ones:
- EMG 81s (neck and bridge)
- EMG 81 (bridge) and EMG 60 (neck)
- EMG 81 (bridge) and EMG 85 (neck)

Feel free to try out anything besides this but these are the normal combo that're used by heavy metal/ metal artists around the US.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
im getting a S 470 soon hopfully. i have been advised to replace the pickups, i play lots of metallica so i thought the best thing to do is get the same make of pickups, EMGs. how much would they cast to buy and fit into for this guitar and with this guitar and new pickups would this give me a good metal setup?
>>Metal_Fretter<<

My gear:
Ibanez S470
Roland cube 30
Boss PW-10 v-wah
Marshall jackhammer
A single EMG will costs about $99. And installation depends on the shop where u decide to make them swap ur pups. You can save almost about $40-60 just by soldering it urself at home. And heavy metal tone sounds really good in the S470 since its made from mahogany.

Links to EMG dealer site
http://emgpickups.com/dealers.asp
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
i agree with all emg(active)+mahogany Pwns

My Gear:
Epihone Gothic X-plorer+EMGS 81/60
Jackson WARRIOR JS30+EMGS 81/60(soon will be installed)
Randall G2 series RG75 75watt
Behringer X V-Amp
Quote by madpickin03
A single EMG will costs about $99. And installation depends on the shop where u decide to make them swap ur pups. You can save almost about $40-60 just by soldering it urself at home. And heavy metal tone sounds really good in the S470 since its made from mahogany.

Links to EMG dealer site
http://emgpickups.com/dealers.asp

which pickups would i need?? and which ones?
>>Metal_Fretter<<

My gear:
Ibanez S470
Roland cube 30
Boss PW-10 v-wah
Marshall jackhammer
I personally don't like EMG in basswood. The low end turns to mud. Yeah, you get tons of gain and crunch, but to me, that's useless if the sound is muddy. I've had various EMGs in several different basswood guitar over the years (including an Ibanez RG) and they've never stayed in very long.

EMGs perform best with wood that has a nice, tight low end. Mahogany is the best in that respect, IMO, followed by maple and ash. Yeah, maple is very bright, but compared to other bright woods (like alder), it has a very tight, focused low end.

I don't like the sound of EMGs in alder either. The low end in alder is too loose and unfocused, as least for the EMG 81 (bridge). I've had success with alder and EMG 85 in the bridge, although I find passive pickups sound better with alder. And yeah, before someone brings up all these alder / EMG-81 guitars that Kirk Hammett plays - his are neck thru. The majority of the tone from those guitars comes from the maple. The alder body wings add coloration only.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by metal_fretter
which pickups would i need?? and which ones?

Read my post above for active pickup combos commonly used.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Okay, thanks crunchmeister, dont know if you realise that you answered my question.

So, now ive got two different opinions.. whats it gonna be, 81 or 85 in bridge for a Alder body guitar, Ive seen someone else put in a 85 over a 81.. so im leaning 85 i geuss.

Also, most people seem to say that EMG 8x just arent that great for alder body.. so what is thre recomendation for a alder body metal pickup?
I prefer a good high output passive in alder. I find it works with the sound of the wood better. Good choises are Duncan Invader, Distortion, or Custom. Dimarzio have some awesome pickups too.

I personally wouldn't put EMGs in alder at all. Call it personal preference, but I don't think they compliment the sound of alder very well at all.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Quote by metallicafan180
it would work. mick thompson uses EMGs in his Ibanez *hint hint*

Yeah but mick thompson's signature RG is made out of mahagony...
Quote by Austrorammer
Yeah but mick thompson's signature RG is made out of mahagony...

+1. There's a reason why these guys have their guitars custom built with mahogany instead of basswood like most Ibanez models.

Quote by Crunchmeister
I prefer a good high output passive in alder. I find it works with the sound of the wood better. Good choises are Duncan Invader, Distortion, or Custom. Dimarzio have some awesome pickups too.

I personally wouldn't put EMGs in alder at all. Call it personal preference, but I don't think they compliment the sound of alder very well at all.

thanks.. So a duncan Invader (SH8) or a dimebucker (SH13)?

Also i'm reading good things about a diMarzio X2N and its passive, most powerful passive around.. pretty cheap too. thinking, its between SSH8 and XN2, rule our SH13. or should i thk of SH13.. aarg. i need so much help, if only we had good pickups to try out in South Africa..

Those would be my options.. but i'm getting Duncan design H103 pickups in the guitar anyway, now is buying extra passive pickups for +-$70 worth it?
I undderstand these are the best passive pickups around, but from a metal point of view, is it worth it?
Last edited by Elven_King at May 15, 2006,
Avoid the Dimebucker in alder. It was specifically designed for a mahogany guitar. It has a nasty muddy low end with alder.

Quote by metallicafan180
it would work. mick thompson uses EMGs in his Ibanez *hint hint*

His Ibanez is mahogany.

Honestly, I don't think EMG's would be the way to go since the guitar's made of basswood. Have you considered anything else? And have you considered upgrading your tone amp-wise first?
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.