how can i tell if im a beginner, intermediate, or advanced? ive been playing about 7 months, literally everyday for a couple of hours except for the few days i was sick. is there anything on the guitar that i could play to tell which level im on?
People learn at different speeds. I know people who have been playing for a year for up to 2 hours a day and they're not good at all. I'll just give you my personal insight. When I was playing for 7 months, I learned Black Dog and Achilles Last stand by Led Zeppelin and I attempted Crazy Train by Ozzy.
Quote by grimreaper65
Har har har. Go stuff your panties with toads and then masturbate.

Ahh, I love the Pit.

Quote by SilentDeftone
I don't need to report you, I can just ban you instead.

-SD

Owned!
Last edited by JimiSlashPage at May 15, 2006,
alright well do you want to know what level you are on as a musician (sp?) or as just a guy who plays other peoples songs?? Because you would have to have been learning music theroy all those seven months to be an intermidate. But other than that i would say your an average beginner. But if you keep up that practise rate and get into some music theroy then I would say you will be an intermidate in no time
Yeah people do learn on completly different times. I've been playing since January and can play alot of songs including some Guns N' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Pink Floyd solos, so not sure what level I am either but a friend I know who has been playing a couple of years can't even play some of the stuff I can, so it just depends on your determination. If your just playing power chords and Major and Minor chords everyday and nother new than you probably haven't learned much. Try to be learning something new ALL the time, but don't overload yourself.
ive been playing for about 7 months, but ill tell ya, iunno, i think im an average beginner, probably the same as you, i know my pent and blues scales, major and minor, medolic and harmonic minors, i play alot of metallica, sabbath, maiden, slayer, soad, i can pull of a couple bodom riffs, alot of chili peppers stuff, hendrix, ozzy, ect ect, average guitarist lol, im just getting into sweep picking and tapping, i can do a couple of marty friedman sweeps at a decent speed, and i know my major and minor arpeggios with roots on any string, and i can pull off a couple nifty tapping licks, but i know everyone learns at different rates and everything, but i think im still a beginner cause compared to what my buddies can do, im nothing lol
Will

Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die, Aces High.
dude you are a beginner forever. if you feel like you have accomplished the guitar or get to a point where you can play as good as you want then there is no reason for you to play at all. I dont mean to sound like a jerk but people who ask these questions usually are beginners anyway. But i really dont mean to sound like jerk anyway but i know it does.
My Gear:
Gibson SG special (W/ S.D. Jazz(N) & JB (B))
Mesa-Boogie Solo Triple Rec. (with EL-34's)
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss TU-2 Chromatic tuner
(what else do i need)

Where i work:
www.beanstalkmusic.com
well... are you improvising at all? if not, try to improvise. a guitarist who doesnt improvise well can only be an intermediate at most.
Try to write your own stuff. It's fun and challenging, not to mention that it'll help you advance well as a player. Just don't give up!

-DS
Quote by TIMshady1stLP
dude you are a beginner forever. if you feel like you have accomplished the guitar or get to a point where you can play as good as you want then there is no reason for you to play at all. I dont mean to sound like a jerk but people who ask these questions usually are beginners anyway. But i really dont mean to sound like jerk anyway but i know it does.

Well said!

Figuring out how rank is totally useless. There's always something new to learn
and always someone better than you right around the corner.

Those that count the pennies in thier pockets and wonder how rich they are (like just about everyone else who's posted here so far), are very poor indeed.
Quote by Parkerkills
well... are you improvising at all? if not, try to improvise. a guitarist who doesnt improvise well can only be an intermediate at most.

what a stupid statement. By writing your own music is the only way to be at an advanced level??? Just practice and ignore the idiotic statements here.

It's great to be able to improvise and write your own stuff but don't believe for a second that it's the "only skill" that makes you an accomplished player.
Yeah it is. If you can't write your own music, you're in no way an 'advanced player', you're just an instrument - just like your guitar is - for playing other's creations.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
I think modesty is the key.
If you think that you're the coolest guy around because you play guitar, then youre in no way talented. (unless, of course, youre Jimmy Page)
If you just mind you're own business, not telling everybody you just learned a new Ywngie solo, then you're pretty damn good.
"it is better to be a part of beauty
for one instant and then to cease
to exist than to exist forever
and never be part of beauty"
-Don Marquis

Quote by nebraskan
People who are racist are probably the most ignorant alive.

A serious sig? WHATTT?
Quote by ar73m
Yeah it is. If you can't write your own music, you're in no way an 'advanced player', you're just an instrument - just like your guitar is - for playing other's creations.

I'll agree with that. There's a difference between playing an instrument and using one. Music is meant to be an expression of the self, if you can't express yourself through your intrument, you're just using it.
You're on Level 7.

Really, don't worry about how what rank you are or what level you're at. Just play your guitar as much as you can and try and learn as much as possible.
ESP H-300 (EMG81/85)
Ibanez RG570
Ashton VP30
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CE-5
Boss DS-2
Behringer EQ-700
Member #12 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Mr T of the Avatar A-Team.

i agree so much dude
who are you to wave your finger......
You need more practice.
and so does he,^^
and so do I,
and so does that man over there.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
if you feel like you can play as well as you'd like, then you can play as well as you'd like, and that's a grand achievement. people who say things like 'if you don't feel like you can play as good as you want, you shouldn't be playing at all' are only building themselves up by romanticising their craft. it's what people who invest a lot of emotion and passion into something tend to do. it's not a bad thing, but don't take that advice at face value if you aren't a person of passion or intensity in regards to the hobbies or crafts you pursue.

some people only want to play guitar competently enough to get through songs they want to know to play. not everybody is a songwriter, and not everybody jacks off to joe satriani bootlegs. you are a good guitar player if you can do what you want with the instrument, because 'good' is relative to necessity. you are not a good guitar player if you want to hit 64th notes at 400bpm and you can only hit 4th notes at 100bpm. however, you may be a good guitar player to somebody who can only hit whole notes at 100bpm.

as to your actual question, if you're looking for a general scale, i'd say you're kind of out of luck. a lot of guitar players invest heavy amounts of ego into their 'status.' as such you're likely to find people who embelish their abilities, or subtract months from their playing time to seem more advanced than you would normally expect. at seven months i spent more time writing my own music than trying to play metallica 'riffs,' but chances are that if your goal is to 'shred' or something, you're better at it than i was (and probably am now). the only real way to guage your skill level would be to play with other musicians and see how well you mesh. if you can find people who have been playing just as long as yourself you may get a general idea of where you stand.
Level?

Dude just try to have some fun. Skill will come as it goes...
Guitarrist living in the Kitchener/Waterloo area and looking to join a band.
Personally I don't see anything wrong with wanting to know your level. I tend to a lot of book shopping and the books at times are directed towards people of a certain level. So knowing the level could be helpful as far as that. I don't agree that you are a beginner forever for wanting to know your level. A beginner is a beginner, an intermediate is an intermediate, and an Advanced player is an Advanced player. What I do agree with is that it's not mandatory to know the level. Just practice. When I came across a case when I was choosing a book, and the books targeted skill levels I just either skip buying the books and used YouTube or I'd buy them all. Knowing your skill doesn't make you a better player just practicing. As others on the page have said. Nothing wrong with wanting to know, just don't get hung on it if you are unable to determine that.
Last edited by HeavyMetal1993 at Oct 31, 2014,
I know it's Halloween but digging up corpses is taking things a little too far dontcha think?