well i tries searching but couldnt find much

neways heres my question (its a realy noobie)

do single coil pickups hum?

cause i just brout a jackson today and its got two single coils and a humbucker, and when i switch it to either of the single coils it hums. is that normal?

any help would b great

Andrew
Yeah single coils just naturally hum a little more than humbuckers. No need to worry.
The Don of the UG Mafia, PM me to join the family.

General of the Rage Against the Myspace Club, PM me to enlist.

Member #2 of the 'Shut the fuck up and respect other people's music' Club.' PM TheGospelOfRob to join.
well... it depends on the quality. the single coils on high quality fender, parker, gibson or any other good brands wont hum at all. a good jackson should hum either. but humming of a common single coil is normal. use a noise gate if you dont want the hum.
Quote by Parkerkills
well... it depends on the quality. the single coils on high quality fender, parker, gibson or any other good brands wont hum at all. a good jackson should hum either. but humming of a common single coil is normal. use a noise gate if you dont want the hum.

Wrong. Sorry. Thanks for playing. It has nothing to do with the quality of the pickup itself. True single coil pickups are prone to humming. Simple as that. Now, the quality of the shielding and the electronics can mitigate the humming a bit. But true single coils hum no matter what the brand or cost of the guitar; it's just the nature of the beast. That's why a lot of guitars have reverse polarity single coils so that when combined with another, they cancel hum.
Hi, I'm Peter
The humness are caused by electronical and wave interference. If you guitar has poor shielding or grounding, then it will moan like a wh0re (in a bad way). Some ways to actually block these interference is to properly shield and ground the electronics inside the electronic compartment or use a capacitor as a ground mechanism (capacitor is also used for noise filtering in radios and whatnot). Another way to decrease the humness is to properly pot wax the pickup.

You can find tutorials here http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Probably it has good shielding or its a "noiseless" single-coil model. Try playing it in front of ur CRT monitor or under neon lights and crank it up a bit. Surely you will hear some hum. Or in the full dirty channel.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic