Well, i have embarked on a project to build a custom 7-string Gibson Explorer with me, my next door neighbour and his pastor, who's been playing and building guitars for 40 years. I have one question however as to what pickups i should use in it. I definitely want humbuckers (it being an Explorer) but which humbuckers would be best to produce a decent amount of gain (ie Opeth/Dream Theater sort of gain) but be able to handle cleans for a 7-string? I was leaning toward EMG's (81's) but 7-string EMG's are difficult to come by, and the cleans will be terrible. Any opinions or advice on the pickups and anything else that i might consider would be very helpful.

P.S, This is my first guitar project outside of pedal-modding and i'm well qualified in woodwork, so any advice is appreciated, just nothing blaintantly obvious.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
By the way, i'll try and post pics when i'm done
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
7 string emgs dont sound horrible. i have a 7 string esp viper and the emgs dont sound bad at all. for the most part, the clean doesnt sound to bad either. i would be hoping that the main reason you would be using both an explorer and a 7 string wouldnt be for the clean rather the distortion. what you could do is use either active emgs or some of the passive ones that steven carpenter hason his esp signature 7 string. those sound great.
i suppose, but i know that emg's have a reputation for having bad cleans, but as i mentioned in my earlier post i'll be playing things like opeth and dream thater that require decent cleans as well as good distortion, but i'll look at Emg's, just accepting other suggestions or comments as well
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
My emg's sound great clean, there only 6 string though
Originally posted by: rich sg
And God said unto Jesus: "Son, is there anything you want to talk about?"
And Jesus replied: "Get off my back, Dad! Judas Priest your such a frickin' homophobe! FACE!"
And so Jesus was crucified.
I don't know why so many people claim that EMGs have a bad clean sound, i think they sound really good, i wouldn't worry about that.
Quote by sashki
EMG 707's. I think they're like 81's, but for 7-strings. I've always wanted a 7-string...

No, the EMG 81-7 is like an 81 but for 7 strings.

Personally, I think the EMG cleans are fine. If you can afford a custom guitar I'd assume you have a decent amp and you know how to play? Well, in that case, you should be able to dial in a nice clean tone. I can do it with my EMGs.

You should stop listening to reputations for that sort of thing and start trying them out before you put your fath in something. My EMG 81s work fine for Opeth in all forms.

If you wanted to go passive you could get some Seymour Duncans or Dimarzio 7 string pickups. Or go custom like BKP.

The 707 is like an EMG 85.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at May 15, 2006,
ok i'll take a look at emg 81-7's, and it's not really gunna be that expensive, genocide, i'm gunna be building it myself, meaning i'm cutting the wood out, building the electronics from scratch, but i've got some money put aside. I'm not completely basing my opinion on reputation, just a lot of artists i know who use EMG's have dodgy cleans, but i'll try them for myself. I was leaning towards the Di Marzio's but i'll listen to some recordings with guitarists who use Di Marzio's and EMG's and test them myself.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
i suppose, but i know that emg's have a reputation for having bad cleans, but as i mentioned in my earlier post i'll be playing things like opeth and dream thater that require decent cleans as well as good distortion, but i'll look at Emg's, just accepting other suggestions or comments as well

The only reason people think that emg's have horrible tone is because metallica used them basicly. The Cleans on them are better than the stock ones on most guitars so, i say go for them, plus if u have never replaced electronics before, go with EMGs. The quikconnect is great, that way if you screw up, all you have to do is buy one part instead of buying a whole new pickup, ands its great if u have other pickups too, just take them out so easily without cutting wires. Another plus is EMGs come with the jack, wires, pots, and wiring guide.
Oh really? They come with the jack and pots, excellent! Means saving my self an extra trip to Dick Smith Electronics. By the way, i have built electronics before Rune Playaz, i built my first amplifier, a 10 watt one.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM