hey guys, i'm currently looking to upgrade my pickups on my epiphone les paul.
my music influences are my chemical romance, greenday, jimmy eat world, finch, taking back sunday, angels and airwaves, the academy is and funeral for a friend.
i'd really appreciate it if you guys could help me out as to which pickup's are best for my style of music.

i'm currently looking at the emg81/85 combo or perhaps a duncan sh-4 jb/ sh-8 invader combination. if you guys could give me some pointers or tips or even suggest other pickups it'd be swell. cheers.
both combinations are craptastic for the music. now how much is your budget and what amp do you have
Quote by yougotmyshoes
i'm currently looking at the emg81/85 combo or perhaps a duncan sh-4 jb/ sh-8 invader combination. if you guys could give me some pointers or tips or even suggest other pickups it'd be swell. cheers.

Well Billie Joe Armstrong from green day has a duncan sh-4 jb installed on his stratocasters, so I'm assuming that'd be a good pickup to get for green day songs.
Quote by matt bickerton
Well Billie Joe Armstrong from green day has a duncan sh-4 jb installed on his stratocasters, so I'm assuming that'd be a good pickup to get for green day songs.

never use bill joe armstrong as a basis for anything.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by bonchie1
never use bill joe armstrong as a basis for anything.

Your an idiot. Billie joe actually has pretty good tone, regardless of what he does with it. I would go with the JB/Jazz combo, or the JB/59.
Quote by Tiamat
dont buy an amp, amps are just stupid.

Quote by t2russo
oiled... i like the feel of oiled wood in my hands... wow, that was homosexual...
id sig you but i have no room lol. so ill just bow down to your username

deg0ey
Member of UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
Quote by deg0ey

deg0ey

anyways. try something bright sounding. the Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge. And maybe a Duckbucker in the neck? lol

Hey Im just throwing out ideas.

but i DO know:

on the EMGs.
on the Invader.
Quote by deg0ey

You're an idiot.

Use a JB/59. That will get ya the sound ya need,
Guitars
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Fender Standard Strat (w SD JB Humbucker in bridge)
Squire Strat
Amps
Marshall TSL 60 Head
1960A Cab
Line 6 Spider II 112
Rack
Korg DT-1 Tuner
DBX Compressor
BBE Sonic Maximizer
^ ooo i'm an idiot am i? i was just trying to make light of the situation, but if you have no sense of humour then i will retract my statement (only joking )

kurdt: sigged

deg0ey
If your gunna play that **** than, why dont you just take ur pickups out so nobody can hear you.
Quote by deg0ey

you just made the sig...i love you
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by smooth9825
Your an idiot. Billie joe actually has pretty good tone, regardless of what he does with it. I would go with the JB/Jazz combo, or the JB/59.

super high gain with crappy distortion is good tone?
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by kurdtkobaign
actually for the kind of music he plays its a pretty good tone. Even though its sh1tty music. But still.

and you shouldnt bash his gear...frankly because hes rich and famous and youre here.........doing nothing.

i guess i shouldn't bash ashley simpson either cause shes rich and famous right?

people are put in positions unjustly...that doesn't make it right. plus i know what gear he uses and it sucks. my gear is better then his crap. read the sticky at the top of the page if you wanta know what junk he uses. (his amps are alright, his guitars are crap...strat copies, les paul jr..etc.)

its the tone you say that is good for that kind of music that is what i think makes that music worse...so i think its crap all the way around. maybe if he had a better sounding amp his music wouldn't be so bad. well yeah it would but anything would help.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
who the fuck cares? do any punk or emo guitarists have good tones?

just get something with output in your ballpark; duncan, dimarzio, gibson, whatever works

maybe JB/jazz combo?
-Mike
Quote by HopePoisoned
who the fuck cares? do any punk or emo guitarists have good tones?

just get something with output in your ballpark; duncan, dimarzio, gibson, whatever works

maybe JB/jazz combo?

yeah your right. your gonna have the gain so pumped the pickup isn't gonna make that big of a difference. just get a decent one and it'll all end up sounding the same.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by kurdtkobaign
you missed my point completely man. I never said he had good or bad gear. I was saying that no matter how much you bash the guy...at the end of the day...hes still rich and famous. and youre here.

see? and i wasnt being a dick either. i was just saying its stupid to bash someone of his status because you KNOW that if you ever seen him in real life youd push out a pen and paper to get his John Handcock.

[edit] yeah the JB/Jazz would be good.

if i saw him in real life i'd want to punch his ass...

and it has nothing to do with him personally...hes just a part of a whole lot of people that diluted todays music to pure trash.

i could care less if hes rich and famous...i don't hold people to higher levels because of what others have given them, sometimes for no good reason. his music is average at best. thats what i'd treat him like if i knew him in real life.

people on this forum who aren't rich and famous are no less of a person or have any less of a right to bash him just because he is rich and famous.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
i have to say, half the people on this forum (at least) are better players technically than him, but it's all about having the right thing in the right place at the right time - which he did, so you have to respect that at least...and i bet he worked his ass off to get people to listen as well

deg0ey
when people look at professional players playing crap music, they usually think they're better

but there's usually no way to truly know, they play the music, (usually smoothly), and usually have mediocore tone (called endorsements, quick way to the top)

it's all about image and they made it
-Mike
Quote by bonchie1
i guess i shouldn't bash ashley simpson either cause shes rich and famous right?

people are put in positions unjustly...that doesn't make it right. plus i know what gear he uses and it sucks. my gear is better then his crap. read the sticky at the top of the page if you wanta know what junk he uses. (his amps are alright, his guitars are crap...strat copies, les paul jr..etc.)

its the tone you say that is good for that kind of music that is what i think makes that music worse...so i think its crap all the way around. maybe if he had a better sounding amp his music wouldn't be so bad. well yeah it would but anything would help.

He uses Marshall JTM 45's. Many people would disagree that that's a bad amp. I like Green Day's real old stuff (before Dookie), but I can't stand them now. Even with that being said, I still think he has pretty good tone. I've heard a lot worse.
Guitars
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Fender Standard Strat (w SD JB Humbucker in bridge)
Squire Strat
Amps
Marshall TSL 60 Head
1960A Cab
Line 6 Spider II 112
Rack
Korg DT-1 Tuner
DBX Compressor
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I personally think Billie Joe has a pretty good tone. I'd just like to point this out, can you really judge a guitar player strictly based on the style of music they are playing, or on the recordings you've heard. Like who's to say that anyone is better than Billie Joe technically, unless you've actually sat down and played with him or heard him play, and I'm not talking Green Day live, because thats the same idea as judging a recording I think thats it's very difficult to judge.
^ i agree, he may be able to shred like nobody's business, but doesn't because it doesn't sell as well as greenday

deg0ey
Quote by Rocker8822
If your gunna play that **** than, why dont you just take ur pickups out so nobody can hear you.

If your gonna talk ****, why don't you keep your mouth shut so no one can hear YOU.
This isn't highschool. Lose the inmaturity.

On topic..JB/Jazz :]
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by matt bickerton

Billie Joe doesnt play a stratocaster, he plays a fernandes copy -thats his original guitar (blue) and then he got Fender to re make the Fernandes copy, so he had loads. his guitar is unique and in no way a stratocaster. but he does have a seymour duncan sh-4 jb, in bridge posistion. its a great pick up and its only about 70 gbp
Conformity is a son of a bastard sin!!