Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before, but I haven't got time to check the threads as i'm off out shortly, so if this has already come up, sorry for creating an unnecessary thread!

Anyway, me and the other guitarist in my band are looking to upgrade guitars soon, and are mainly decided between Ibanez, Jackson and ESP - LTD models. We have noticed that all of those models use Seymour Duncans, EMG's and DiMarzio pickups and humbuckers.

My question then is, which is the best for heavy metal/thrash etc, and why!

Thanks in advance.

Rock On!
I'm going to create the procrastination club, just later...
2 things we need to know:

What amps you have, and what your budgets are.
A Line 6 112 at the moment, looking to upgrade to a decent Marshall.

No higher than 500-600 quid at the moment for funding.
it depends on what pickup. these brands make different pups for different sounds.
emg makes jazz pickups too, you know.
but an emg 81/85 combination is hugely popular. they sound pretty good, too (if you're only playing metal and don't mind ****ty cleans). but if you get one of the jacksons with the built in emg's, you're getting a cheaper pickup. (still sounds alright, and i'm partial to jackson myself).
but i've heard good things about some of the dimarzios as well.
and semour duncan has some cool ones, too. i'm considering swapping my cheap emg's for a dimebucker. but i guess they have an active pickup, too. so i'll have to see how it sounds.
my reccomendation: try out all of these guitars before you buy them. guitar center will let you thrash all day (But buy from local shops). buy the one that sounds and feels right to you.
if all else fails, swap out the pickups later.
Yeah we had planned on checking them out anyway but felt that all of your opinions would matter.

Would it be worth buying a guitar with the humbuckers built in or would you get just as good a sound by setting new pickups into, say, an Epiphone Les Paul? (other guitarist loves Zakk Wylde )

Thanks again!
get a new amp first. what tones are you after? also, since you're in england, you might want to look into bareknuckles or swinesheads. Up to you, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well, if you get a pretty nice epiphone, it might do alright for you. but the quality control is pretty lax with those. about one in ten is really good. but i'm pretty sure they make an epi zakk wylde signiature guitar.
i'd say it'd be best to find a guitar that sounds good without any modifications, but most of the people i talk to have swapped out the stock pickups for something better.
^ problem with the epi zakk wylde is it's £600.

Now, here's a list of guitars you can get with £600 that are better than the epi zakk wylde:

Pretty much everything over £400.

seriously, though:

ibanez rg1570 INCLUDING new pickups. For shred, at the price, that equals extreme pwnage.

Ibanez rga121: you could affford one (nearly even two) swinesheads with it as well, if you shop around. Awesome.

Fender American strat. Again, if you shop around.

Lots more that I can't be bothered to list.

So yeah. You wouldn't catch me buying an epi zakk wylde, lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Don't forget Ibanez SZ series, Dave. Great rhythm, damn good lead instruments.
^ yeah. And washburn. And jackson. and, well, as I said, pretty much anything.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^I want to suggest ESP, but those are more expensive in the UK, right?
^ yeah. i think the 400 series are pushing £700... definitely £600 at the very least.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ewwwwww, Washburn.

For metal pickups, follow what Dave said, and go look into BK/Swineshead. Kent Armstrong makes the Motherbucker, which is also an amazing metal pickup.
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
The same Motherbucker that come stock on a Cort X-11?
I asume you guys might not know much about Cort in the USA, but they do make pretty good, cheap guitars. Pretty much modeled on ibanez, but realy nice mid range and starter guitars.
ok...whoever said washburn...NO! we sell them at my shop. they do make some pretty nice stuff, but you've gotta pay over $700. a cheap washburn (electric) is just a sin against nature.
as for the american strats...if you're a fender man, get a g&l tribute (korean made g&l). it's just my opinion, but even the cheap g&l's are better made than the fancier fenders.
Quote by gonzosrevenge55
ok...whoever said washburn...NO! we sell them at my shop. they do make some pretty nice stuff, but you've gotta pay over $700. a cheap washburn (electric) is just a sin against nature.
as for the american strats...if you're a fender man, get a g&l tribute (korean made g&l). it's just my opinion, but even the cheap g&l's are better made than the fancier fenders.

I meant the dearer ones. £ =/= $.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I meant the dearer ones. £ =/= $.

i'm aware, but i don't know how british pricing compares to guitars over here.
anyway, from what i've seen, you can usually do better than washburn for the same amount of money. jackson makes some nice stuff for metalheads. i got mine on musicians friend for about 300. just because it was blue and didn't have a floyd (which i hate anyway).
actually, i've been impressed by some of the stuff peavey puts out (as long as you avoid the jazz fusion line and the raptors, total crap). we have an hp signiature exp that feels and sounds fantastic. $550 on musicians friend. just make sure to get the mahogany version, not the cheaper agathis one. you might want to consider swapping the pickups, but definitely worth checking out. they make a nice bass, too.
anyway, i'm basing my opinion on what we've got hanging in the shop right now (except the jackson). i've stared at, played, polished, strung both peaveys and washburns, and just about every washburn has had some kind of imperfection or quality control oversight. the peaveys just seem to be built better.
Does anyone have a Motherbucker demo track ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by gonzosrevenge55
i'm aware, but i don't know how british pricing compares to guitars over here.
anyway, from what i've seen, you can usually do better than washburn for the same amount of money. jackson makes some nice stuff for metalheads. i got mine on musicians friend for about 300. just because it was blue and didn't have a floyd (which i hate anyway).
actually, i've been impressed by some of the stuff peavey puts out (as long as you avoid the jazz fusion line and the raptors, total crap). we have an hp signiature exp that feels and sounds fantastic. $550 on musicians friend. just make sure to get the mahogany version, not the cheaper agathis one. you might want to consider swapping the pickups, but definitely worth checking out. they make a nice bass, too.
anyway, i'm basing my opinion on what we've got hanging in the shop right now (except the jackson). i've stared at, played, polished, strung both peaveys and washburns, and just about every washburn has had some kind of imperfection or quality control oversight. the peaveys just seem to be built better.

fair enough.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yo,,,, Dave is in the HOUSE !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!