Page 1 of 2
I love the sound these basses make, so I'm thinking of saving up for one.

What are your experiences with them? Should I get 2 or 3 band EQ, and with or without Piezo pickups?

Just general thoughts please!
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
3 band EQ is much more useful than 2, and i dont think its TOO much extra...

some people like piezo's, some dont, try some basses with them and see if you like them. im sure google would have some clips of piezo VS non piezo too.
Quote by Bassilo
Gotta save up first, bruvva.

Oh really? I thought I could just decide which one I wanted and it would magic into my hands, damn.

Haha, got any constructive comments to make?
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
Stingers are the best basses IMO. The sound from them cuts through any mix, you can get great ranges of tones with both the two band and three band versions. and they look like absolute sex. Have you played one? dont play one yet if you have no money - you will steal from your own nan to get it

BB
x
Gear Lists Are For Boys Who Masturbate Too Much.
Not all of them. Most modern ones suck nuts. The best stingrays I've laid my hands on - are pre 1997 ones. I especially like my cuzes 1996 Stingray. But it has 600+ dollars of customizing in it (im talking internal components and set-up). Now that's a ray.

Poster, don't get defensive Before I choose, I first gotta have some resources, you know what I'm sayin? After that could I only be constructive
Haha sorry man, no offence intended!

And yeah BB, I played one last Saturday and it blew me away! Shame I won't have enough money until August! I played the 2EQ version without a Piezo, so I'm presuming that a 3rd band of EQ can only make it better, and the fact that you can turn off the Piezo pickup also means that it isn't gonna get worse!

Still want to know I'd be making the right choice though, I'm still half considering buying a Warwick thumb but they seem to have more of a mellow tone. Anyone?

EDIT: Also I'd be right in leaning away from the 5-string? Basically it adds 300 to the price and would detract from the slappability - what the StingRay does best.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
Last edited by Nikklaus at May 15, 2006,
Go for it, I'm saving up (two years left!!!) for the 3 band, non-piezo 4-string. Only two more years to go...
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Yea if you are gonna go for a 2 band it'd be better to just save about 400 bucks and get and SUB instead.

But incredible bass, company.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Nah I'm definitely going the whole way for a Stingray, and intending to get the full 3EQ, then I need to choose Piezo or not.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
IMO, dont get a five string ray, unless you really really want the whopping extra five low notes that an E string cant reach. The Stingray just doesn't seem fitting as a fiver (along with ever other old school bass that has gotten the same five-string treatment), and as you said, the more narrow string spacing can hamper your slap/pop technique if you aren't used to playing five strings.

As for what features to get for the stingray, definately get one with a 3-band EQ. As for the piezo pup, it depends if you really NEED it for songs. Try one out w/ the piezo first. If you like the sound it offers, then get it, and of course don't if you don't like the piezo tone.

Warwick thumbs are awesome basses, but its like comparing apples and oranges with the stingray. Both are great basses, but both offer a different sound. Make sure you play each several times to get a solid feel for each. Then make your final choice.
Once you get to the top, the only way to go is down.
I have a MM Stingray and I'm completely in love with it. I've been known to severly bludgeon anyone who gets to close to it (including family members)......
Fury- Breathe in deep, and cleanse away our sins
And we'll pray that there's no God
To punish us, and make a fuss

Chalking up the frequent loser miles day by day.
Stingrays...

The 4 string and the 5 string are both great.

The 2 band and the 3 band, the 3 band is IMO much more useful in tonal shaping, and only 50 bucks more.

Piezo or no piezo, I hear Piezos help in making tapping a bit more audible, and it giv es a nice acoustic-esque tone.
haha
am i the only person who doesnt worship the stingray? i like em, but i wouldnt buy one. i prefer a double jazz pup setup.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by crazypeanutman
am i the only person who doesnt worship the stingray? i like em, but i wouldnt buy one. i prefer a double jazz pup setup.

I prefer 2 pickups in general.

So MM decided to answer my questions by giving me HH Bongos, Sterlings, and Stingrays.
haha
Quote by crazypeanutman

there was a thread about being the only stingray hater here in the past month. I dont think you started it. lol
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
5 string ray is a tad different. It has that selector switch and the "phantom coil".
It's ALRIGHT, my cuz had one with a piezo bridge a while back. THe low B was floppy. It was the near bridge PU that helped somewhat... But it didn't sound right. Near bridge playing is for those thinner strings, it just can't bring the meat. The piezo allowed to make some wierd sounds. But he found out that it was more for "playing around", rather than "playing". Also, shaping the tone with a piezo for recording proved to be insanely difficult and frustrating. Bass is an instrument, not a toy. Want wider tonal abilities? - Get a POD XTLive, KORG, or a Roland effect board.
In my eyes, a 5 string Stingray is an attempt to further popularize an instrument.
Stingray should be Stingray. That is, a 4 stringed instrument. There are much better choices for a 5-er:
a 35" Roscoe
a 35" Warwick
an Ibanez
a Modulus
a Yamaha TRB 35"
but NOT a Stingray or Fender. THose are pure 4 stringed instrumets. Though I confess, that the E string on the Stingray5 is tighter... maybe it's purely subjective, maybe it's due to the fact that the E string tunig machine is further away from the bridge...
Nice! Thanks for the help people.

What do you all think specifically of the Piezo? I don't have any experience at all with Piezo pickups, and I was just hoping that it would make it better but I've heard a lot of negative feedback, i.e. it doesn't make a positive difference worthy of 200 quid extra.

Basically I just want the classic funk tone, and the ability to 'tone it down' to more of a smooth mellow tone.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
You just answered your own question =)

Piezo indeed doesn't do the Ray any justice. Drop the idea, man. Get yourself a 4 stringed ray, and a floor-based processor. I'm telling you, the XTLive is an awesome piece of equipment. But to work properly, it needs that clean and crisp tone from your bass. Which is just what the "basic" Stingray 4 does perectly. Then use different cab modulations, bass imitations, effects... I've used that thing for 3 days, and every ten minutes resulted in a different tone, better than the previous one...

Get a Ray and a processor.

Or, if you want a 5-er, look into those makes I've listed. THey're MUCH better than a 5 stringed ray.

Last edited by Bassilo at May 16, 2006,
Nah I aint really interested in a 5-string, I was just wondering if the extra string did the SR any justice but it obviously doesn't!

Thanks alot!
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
arrg ive been tricked by the gods. it must be, for what other reason would this fate have befallen me?

the fool returns to his home and bids you adieu.
thing about SR is that imo they look silly. wats with the circular scratch plate, having said that one cannot judge it on looks cuz i think they sound sweet, played a fiver and it werent too bad, but i think its suits a 4 better. i had a bad experince with one and an someones pushy dad which is why i dnt play them.plus i have a warwick so why would i want anything else?
riddle me this, how do they compare to fenders, say a standard jazz?
am i the only one like... COMPLETELY neutral on their looks?

to me there i NO more average looking bass than it. to me anyway..
Quote by legions_of_hell
thing about SR is that imo they look silly. wats with the circular scratch plate, having said that one cannot judge it on looks cuz i think they sound sweet, played a fiver and it werent too bad, but i think its suits a 4 better. i had a bad experince with one and an someones pushy dad which is why i dnt play them.plus i have a warwick so why would i want anything else?

You must understand the evolution behind Musicman, they were what Leo Fender would have developed Fenders into had he not sold Fender to CBS just the same as with G&L which were the further develpopemnt of Musicman.
There has been very little true developement with both MM & Fender since he left.
I have been lucky enough to own a 1965 Jazz Bass, a 1999 Stingray 5 and a G&L L2500 (5 string), in their own way all excellent basses but all very different.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by legions_of_hell

First of all the scratch plate is more than cool. When you seen someone play a Stingray, it is instantly recognisable by that scratch plate. I've never been into Warwicks, although i know they are good basses. Much better as a 4 - they should've never developed a five string version IMO.

Mr Swift speaks wise words. They were a masterpiece when they firt came out, without a doubt..

BB
x
I don't like how their bodies feel... too round. I'd just go for a P-Bass and an active eq... wait, I did
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
I don't know what the damn is wrong with all of you. The EBMM Stingray 5 is by far the best productiuon bass ever. It more than does the five string justice, in fact, the idea of owning a Stingray 5 is practically what got me started playing bass. They are simply sexy, they have a beautiful sound, and are versatile. After my cabinets I guess I'll have to invest in a Stingray 5 with a peizo just to teach all of you a lesson.
Quote by Bassilo
I'd rather invest into myself, and get better basswise =)

You what?
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
Quote by John Swift
You must understand the evolution behind Musicman, they were what Leo Fender would have developed Fenders into had he not sold Fender to CBS just the same as with G&L which were the further develpopemnt of Musicman.
There has been very little true developement with both MM & Fender since he left.
I have been lucky enough to own a 1965 Jazz Bass, a 1999 Stingray 5 and a G&L L2500 (5 string), in their own way all excellent basses but all very different.

I don't quite agree with that... I think MM is what Leo did to "get away from the Fenders" and the G&L is more the evolution no Fenders (Well, the SB1 and stuff. The Legacy series I guess is more of a mixture of Fender & MM/Continuation of MM)
haha
Quote by Junkstuff1
Get lessons?

Yeah I get what he's on about, but that's on the presumption that I need lessons and I'm not already having lessons, and to presume that is a bit stupid.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
Quote by Nikklaus
Yeah I get what he's on about, but that's on the presumption that I need lessons and I'm not already having lessons, and to presume that is a bit stupid.

More an assumption than a presumption.

I am just into five strings, i mean you get a few extra notes,and yeah they are nice, but i do without them just fine. Stingrays are without doubt one of these best basses ever made, you cant argue that one. I am not saying THE best, but in the top three for sure. When you get to the top three, it's only down to preference IMO

BB
x
Page 1 of 2