I just picked up the bass last November. Got a $70 one from Yahoo! Auctions. I just learned how to pop and slap with the help of some videos on YouTube.com. I need some tab or song recommendations from you experts.
Can't stop is good to pratice the technique once you've got that sorted.

Don;t listen to the idiots that say higher ground it's not a begginer song.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
it's probably too advanced for you right now, but something to work towards is "Aeroplane" by RHCP.

One for now is "take the power back" by RATM. it was the first slap song i learnt after being taught it by a menial in a music shop.

And Force master, Can't stop is harder to get right than Higher ground imo. although i know you can get the basic idea of Can't stop really quikly, and work on it.

Basically, you should check out RHCP >.<
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
blah blah blah.

If you can't do this yet, then dont try the songs..

------------0----------
-----0-----------------
---------0-------------
--0--------------------

People on here don't know what they are talking about when it comes to teaching slap bass. They all say RHCP this, or RHCP that! Like a broken record. The plain truth is that is NOT the way to learn a technique, but the way to learn how to APPLY the technique.

Do simple runs like the above, and then move up and down the fretboard slapping any note and popping the octave. Do this on the E and A strings. The A will be harder because you have to mute the E. I use my palm, others use the thumb of the fretting hand - just do what gets the job done while maintaining good form.

Your right hand (assuming your're right handed) should be like when you shake someones hand, but with the fingers bent back inwards towards your wrist. Keep that form, and when you strike down with the joint of your thumb, pull back up - you should find (with good form), that when you slap your fingers are prettty much ready to pop. it should only be one movement back up with the pop. So when the thumb is coming back from the slap, you are also popping with the index or middle fingers.

Practice REALLY SLOWLY at first. You want it to be clean, and i mean as clean as your arse when you get out of the shower. Speed is nothing without accuracy, but with accuracy comes speed.

BB
x
Gear Lists Are For Boys Who Masturbate Too Much.
Quote by bassbitch
blah blah blah.

If you can't do this yet, then dont try the songs..

------------0----------
-----0-----------------
---------0-------------
--0--------------------

People on here don't know what they are talking about when it comes to teaching slap bass. They all say RHCP this, or RHCP that! Like a broken record. The plain truth is that is NOT the way to learn a technique, but the way to learn how to APPLY the technique.

psst...he said he had the basic technique, and wanted to know some songs to play
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Well then don't i look like a c**t?

Not the first time, wont be the last !

Apologies all, my bad.

BB
x
wtf, since when was higher ground harder than can't stop?

higherground
          |-3-| |-3-|           |-3-| |-3-|
  E E E E E E E E E E   E E E E E E E E E E
|---------------------|---------------------|
|-----2-------5-----7-|-----2-------5---7---|
|---------------------|---------------------|
|-0-0---0-3-3---5-5---|-0-0---0-3-3---5---5-|

|-3-| |-3-|           |-3-| |-3-|
  E E E E E E E E E E   E E E E E E E E E E
|---------------------|-----------------------|
|-----2-------5-----7-|-----2-------5---7-----|
|---------------------|-----------------------|
|-0-0---0-3-3---5-5---|-0-0---0-3-3---5---5---|

can't stop
  S S S S S S S S S S S S S S E   S S S S S S S S S S S S S S E
|-----7---9---------7---9---x---|-----7---9---------7---9---x---|
|-------------------------------|-------------------------------|
|-7-----------7---7---x---x---7-|-5-----------5---5---x---x-----|
|-------------------------------|-----------------------------5-|

S S S S S S S S S S S S S S E   S S  S S  S S S S S  S S  S S S E
|-------------------------------|-----------------------------------|
|-----9---9---------9---9---x---|-----10---10---------10---10---x---|
|-------------------------------|---------------------------------5-|
|-7-----------7---7---x---x---7-|-8-------------8---8----x----x-----|

anyone who says can't stop is an easy song to start on is probably playing it wrong. ive seen loads of incorrect tabs for can't stop.

anyways if u ask me, learn higherground to master the basics (since it emphasizes the slap more), then learn aeroplane (the basic line to start, not the extra fills), and can't stop with all the mutes.

the important thing about aeroplane and can't stop is u still hav to hit those mutes.
the notes may look easier, but the truth is they just arent easy to play CLEANLY at the correct speed because of all the movement. its like looking at stone cold bush, the notes dont look hard on that but then put em to the right speed and its a bitch
also, it helps if you know close slap n pooping, like...

--0---
0----
-----0-
---0--
s p s p

anyways, I don't know any real slap songs, although sometimes I slap Smoke On the Water, as well as making my own stuff up.
I rarely use the technique ( other than for my own enjoyment ) since i play hard rock/metal, but i did have enough interest in it to get video lessons from Larry Graham and Victor Wooten.

You might want to try locating those just for the heck of it.

I know it isn't *songs*, but you can never have "too strong" a foundation where technique is concerned.
Avast Ye Scurvy Scalawags!

Pirate Gear:

Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Series 10 5-String Bass
Vintage 70s Ampeg SVT/SVT 8x10 Cab
Ibanez GSA 60 Guitar
Roland Cube 15 Amp
Yamaha DD-55 Drum Machine
TASCAM 424 Portastudio
^ Amen to that, brother

Try Jamiroquai - Emergency on Planet Eart and Fly Away by lenny Kravitz. Both easy songs to learn and great tunes to play a long with.

I used to knock the bass out with an EQ so you can only really hear your bass...

BB
x