so.. im a bit unsure.. i tried messing around with an Eminor scale to it. sounded pretty good, but some dident.. so can anyone tell me what its written in?
No, HC is too bright to be in a minor key. It may be in a minor key, but more than likely it's in a major key.
Ohhh...My head hurts...

Quote by Inahrima
^ have i told you i keep misreading your title as UG's biggest bad greek?
the solo looks to use the b minor pentatonic shape meaning it could be d major, fooling aroung in b minor works ok for me
My Stuff: Epi Black Beauty Les Paul with Bareknuckle Pickups, Fender Telecaster MIJ, Cort Electro acoustic, E-ross 12 string acoustic, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Cry Baby, BOSS DS-1 , Fulltone OCD, Digitech Whammy, Boss TU-3
Quote by Karky
so.. im a bit unsure.. i tried messing around with an Eminor scale to it. sounded pretty good, but some dident.. so can anyone tell me what its written in?
Hotel California is in the key of B minor.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Just find out the relative major or minor to the key, I always assumed it was in B-Minor so whatever the relative major is could be the key as it has a bright song
Quote by gpb0216
Hotel California is in the key of B minor.
That is correct, though they don't play every chord the way B Aeolian tells you to. For instance, F# comes from B harmonic minor and E comes from B dorian (this should help you solo over the progression).

Quote by spike101
Just find out the relative major or minor to the key, I always assumed it was in B-Minor so whatever the relative major is could be the key as it has a bright song
It is in B minor, not D major. First of all, it is not a happy song. Second, it resolves to B minor. What about that makes you think it's in D?
I just thought that as it had a brighter sound to it, I forgot it resolved to B-Minor
as gpb states, this song is in B minor, the whole thing, just b/c you use different shapes around it doesn't make it in a different key.....
B Minor
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
Quote by Karky
hmm.. g major?
That's what I use, and it sounds great
My Gear:

2006 Fender American Strat
'58 Reissue Korina Gibson Flying V
1963 Harmony H53 Rocket
Squier Tele Custom II

Fender Champion 600
Aren't B minor and D major relative scales? I'm not very good with music theory.

I personallt thought Help! (Beatles) was in D major, and then I noticed that it wasn't very 'happy'. It turned out to be in B minor, so either D major or B minor, they sounds the same to me.
they're the same notes, but they don't sound the same. there's definitely a difference in that respect. you just have to learn to recognize both sounds.
thanks guys.. i was thinking about b minor too.. isent that wonderful intro really a b chord that getts picked? its just a weird b-chord, cant remember its name.

x21202 thats the way it goes.. atleast thats the intro chord picked in the tab i find to be the best..

and whats the chorus in then? :P
Last edited by Karky at May 16, 2006,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
That is correct, though they don't play every chord the way B Aeolian tells you to. For instance, F# comes from B harmonic minor and E comes from B dorian (this should help you solo over the progression).

It is in B minor, not D major. First of all, it is not a happy song. Second, it resolves to B minor. What about that makes you think it's in D?

Not sure he/they borrowed the F# from B harmonic minor... I can see why one would assume that the scale it came was B harm minor to stick to the whole "the song is in a B-minor-ish key", but in truth I don't think that's where it came from. What is *assumed* by a lot of the people I've met who play the song/know the song is that the Eagles were using the old "Let's make the key minor but borrow the 5th from the major scale" standby, quite the popular move if I recall correctly (actually my band uses it to an extent).

For this song... B minor is key... take 5th from B major: F#7... plug that into the B minor progression. Wa-la, you still got a chord that resolves to some sort of B scale.

Anywho, I'm being really picky and quite the bastard right now--I just need a conversation for this late late night... lol

red
Looking for my India/Django.
If your thinking in E it would be E pryghian meaning just C-Major(I've only played a bit of it once so I could be wrong
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Wasn't Hotel California famous for being written in B minor?

Total Guitar wrot:
"Did you know: "Hotel California" was originally written and recorded in the key of E minor, before Don Henley decided it would suit his voice better in B minor. So Felder capo'd his 12-string at the 7th fret and the rest is history!
#2 member of the ''Guitarist that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen'' club.

PM Davidian to join.

Quote by potassium_39
dude your a walking talking metal making expert!!!

i bet this person sucks so bad emo people laugh

^0wned^
as far as im aware, its in Bminor, hell thats how i always play it but there are few small discrepancies/variations--i play the intro chords like this ( i dont use a 7t fret capo)

Bm, F#, A, E9, G, D, Em7, F#

Now, the F# is not the minor variation youd expect for the key of Bminor--the chord scale of Bminor in harmonised sevenths is as follows,Bm7, C#m7b5,Dmajor7, Eminor7, F#minor7, Gmaj7, A7-dominant chord-(i think ive written this out right)

Now we can see that F# major utilizes (obviously) the major third of the chord, Bb instead of the minor(expected) note, A and this gives a fleeting tonality of the harmonic minor---we hear the B's major seventh note right after hearing the Bminor chord--and with E9, instead the expected G note --the minor third--we get G# and this continues a chromatic implication that is there from the start---for a more obvious version of this id check out the stairway intro---

Think about it---
B m
F#--implies Bb
A
E9 implies G#
G
D implies F#

They then wisely resist the tempation of continuing this down to F then E as it would lack the tension and sound too contrived.

But, yes, on the whole its in Bm--
Thank God im an atheist
Bumping a 10 year old thread to add no extra information?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud