Which should I get? I'm currently running a Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass through a 220watt Ampeg combo. I wan't a punchy, slighty overdriven sound that still has bottom on it. I play in a hard rock/metal band so it's kind of tough to cut through with two pretty distorted guitars going. I was thinking to either get a Boss bass distortion so I could tweak whatever I wanted and make a really nice sound. I was also thinking of getting a new pickup. I'm not sure what one but probably a Seymour Duncan quarter pounder or a Dimarzio. I don't really know much about pickups but i've heard good things.

Which one would should I get first?
I'd go for a pickup if your in a metal band because if you distort your signal your not gonna hear it at all past 2 distorted guitars. As for which pickup im not sure ask a bass expert.
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Stagg Strat (With replaced hardware and a Duncan Invader )
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
Wires and patch cords and stuff..
Last edited by Stevie B at May 15, 2006,
Well not really distort...more of a midrange growl and punch.

Also I didn't mean Boss distortion pedal. It was supposed to be Equalizer.
Last edited by rustyburrito55 at May 15, 2006,
heh this is good question, maybe i would go with the pedal? beacuse the ampeg already have a nice tone, and a pedal would be nice ( distortion ) or whatever tone your looking for. if your looking for cliff burtons tone of anthesthia pulling teeth its a wah with distortion, so maybe a combo pedal with various affects? or whatever you can afford?

whats your $ limit?
I'm thinking under $100. I was looking at an EQ pedal or a new pickup. I was thinking of getting a higher output pickup or the EQ. I'm thinking I could get what i'm looking for with bost but i'm not sure if one would make the sound particularly better.
anything on ebay? or that link was good.

EDIT: metal still sucks, dosent he have a aerodyne which is a JAZZ bass?or?
oh lol sorry about that nice link btw those are good nicly priced as well =)

sorry man dident see an aerdoyne in a while
Yeah, i almost bought one, but I joined the light side and got a custom shop jazz in Daphne blue.

I knew about all those cool pickups because I was considering putting them in it if I bought one.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Last edited by metalstillsucks at May 15, 2006,
Uhhh... I dont remember... the entire bass was about $2200

lets get back on topic
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
If I get a pickup it will probably be a quarter pounder or something. I play in a jazz band too so I don't want my bass output TOO high.

EDIT: I have found an example of the tone I am looking for. I want it to sound like Know Your Enemy by RATM.
Last edited by rustyburrito55 at May 15, 2006,