Page 1 of 2
contour is just like scooping the mids, try this setting for the distortion channel: bass-6 mids-2 treble-8 gain-8/9 and reverb-7 and contour4/5
and for the clean do the same except put the gain at 4 and as for the effects just mess sround with them until you like the sound
well first off its an mg series and its not a great amp...so don't expect miracles.

what kind of tone are you going for...like whos tone do you hear and say...hey i want that tone?
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Listen, don't bash the MG Series, if you knew what you were doing, you could get a very good tone out of it. One of my friends has one and he can get as good a tone out of it as his friends Peavey XXX. If you know what you're doing, you can get a good sound out of it. I'll go to his house and get the settings he uses off of it and send them to you.
Chuck Norris doesn't read, he stares books down until they give him the information he wants.

My Gear:
Washburn WR120
Randall RG100SC
Behringer XV-amp
Silvertone bass
I had a marshall mg15 before and I knew what I was doing, and it sounded like ****?
For the best tone out of it, Treble at about 9, Countour at about 3, Bass at about 4, gain at about 2, then use an overdrive pedal with the gain at about a 1/4 of the way up (or, works with my OS-1 anyway), great for clear, hair metal tones, though you may want to turn the contour up if you want it a bit heavier.
^^He didn't ask for your opinion.

Just turn up the mids and treble to 10 and bass on 5 for a good clean, with the neck pup of course. And for gainier sounds, contour 3, treble 8 and bass 6 sounds fairly nice.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Quote by love_O_rock
^^He didn't ask for your opinion.

Just turn up the mids and treble to 10 and bass on 5 for a good clean, with the neck pup of course. And for gainier sounds, contour 3, treble 8 and bass 6 sounds fairly nice.

well I gave it anyways cause im just a nice individual...clearly anyone who considers marshall mgs to be a good amp has a ear problem, maybe if they were half the price they were they would make an OK practice amp at best, but for the price you pay, theres a better option for every model, their horrible amps..
Clearly that or they knew almost nothing about amps except it said marshall on it when they bought it.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Quote by flatline_guitar
Listen, don't bash the MG Series, if you knew what you were doing, you could get a very good tone out of it. One of my friends has one and he can get as good a tone out of it as his friends Peavey XXX. If you know what you're doing, you can get a good sound out of it. I'll go to his house and get the settings he uses off of it and send them to you.

i know about amps and i was cursed with an mg50fx as a gift..i finally gave up trying to get any decent tone and decided its better just to use sony headphones into my podxtlive pedal.

once you've owned one you earn the right to gripe about them in every single mg thread ever made.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Last edited by bonchie1 at May 15, 2006,
Quote by flatline_guitar

i had one and i sold it for 150 bucks cuz it sounds like ass. unless mine was different then your friends he did not get the same tone as a tube amp
if you still have the bok use the metal setting on the back
gain-9
bass-9
mid-4
high-9
contour-8
I had to gig with it once because my main amp was broken. And I couldnt get any kind of good sound out of it. And the 100watt head couldnt push my stack to be heard over the drums.

it was the worst show ever lol just because of that damned amp head.
My advice is to get a pedal. With a decent distortion pedal the MG can be a good pract. amp, thats all I use my 30DFX for anyway. I run a metal-zone through the clean channel and while the sound is far from spectacular, it passes for bedroom use.
I've owned two, hence double gripe.

Quote by Boristheb
My advice is to get a pedal. With a decent distortion pedal the MG can be a good pract. amp, thats all I use my 30DFX for anyway. I run a metal-zone through the clean channel and while the sound is far from spectacular, it passes for bedroom use.

ewwwww

awful amp + awful pedal

god, I hope you use headphones so other people don't have to hear that awful tone.
Quote by Gutch220
i like how the title isn't Marshall MG100dfx

hehe...well were all smart enough to figure out thats what it is...don't think marshall makes another amp with 100dfx on the end.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Anyone actually no what MG stands for? Seriously, I'm interested..
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by SamDking
Anyone actually no what MG stands for? Seriously, I'm interested..

my mate says mg stands for "mutter gunt", but that may be a lie...
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
for those people who are tellin him to turn the mids up............THAT MAKES THE SOUND EVEN ****TIER THAN IT ALREADY IS........less mids>more treble>more contour> and less volume cos the speaker in it is absolute bollocks
Last edited by lespaulsson at May 22, 2006,
MG's are ok amps.

if you're looking for a good distorted sound try getting a boss ds-1 with it and use these settings:

clean channel:

gain: 4
bass: 3
middle: 5
treble: 6

then the ds-1:

tone: a little over half
level: full
dist: just over 3/4
Quote by lespaulsson
for those people who are tellin him to turn the mids up............THAT MAKES THE SOUND EVEN ****TIER THAN IT ALREADY IS........less mids>more treble>more contour> and less volume cos the speaker in it is absolute bollocks

whoa there turbo. settle down lol
what are some good like, incubus settings for clean/distortion? i have the mg100hdfx (don't hurt me)
Quote by J Lock
Good.
Cause if not, we'd peer pressure you till you cried.
Then we'd bro-rape you.

Quote by LPIndin
what are some good like, incubus settings for clean/distortion? i have the mg100hdfx (don't hurt me)

well...its really hard to get his tone IMO because its just so damn perfect and unique. He plays with really nice gear...all vintage.

heres a thing of his gear to help you figure out how to get close to his sound, because i wouldnt know where to start...

wow, umm. yeah. i'll just go slam my dick in a drawer now.
Quote by J Lock
Good.
Then we'd bro-rape you.

Quote by LPIndin
wow, umm. yeah. i'll just go slam my dick in a drawer now.

let us know what kind of effect you get outa that...
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by PXi
it was a high pitched squel; kind of like a pinched harmonic (i was watching veeeery closely....)

Father O'Flanery!?
Quote by J Lock
Good.
Then we'd bro-rape you.

what other practise amps are better in the same price range as an MG100dfx then?
MAV!
^^ how much is a marshall mg100dfx? about £200-£250?

laney vc15 or lc15 (the vc has two channels though). vox valvetronix. roland cube. line 6 spider (hey, it's better!). epi valve junior. that's just a small selection.

or as danno says, "anything".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by bonchie1
well first off its an mg series and its not a great amp...so don't expect miracles.

what kind of tone are you going for...like whos tone do you hear and say...hey i want that tone?

U ever owned an mg series amp, or are u just going by what other people say, i mean, i no they arn't the best amplifier, but they work, and pretty damn well if u ask me.
Quote by lespaulsson
the best setting for the mg is............throw it in the ****in bin and buy a tube amp

ok, this one is for you lespaulsson, go suck your grandmothers ****, dude, have u ever owned an mg amp, like, i hate all these people going by the opinions of other dick wads on the internet.
Quote by Frosticle
ok, this one is for you lespaulsson, go suck your grandmothers ****, dude, have u ever owned an mg amp, like, i hate all these people going by the opinions of other dick wads on the internet.

dont be a little twat, most guitar players here who rant on the mgs actually have owned one like myself, (mg15)...they are plastic sounding amps worse then spider II's that sell well to little poser kids because they are unknowledgable and have a marshall tag on it, now go take your little gay insults somewhere else please, if you knew even 1/10 of what the average UGer knows you wouldnt have an mg, so thanks for your input but no thanks...
Frosticle = Pwned
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by d_byrne23
dont be a little twat, most guitar players here who rant on the mgs actually have owned one like myself, (mg15)...they are plastic sounding amps worse then spider II's that sell well to little poser kids because they are unknowledgable and have a marshall tag on it, now go take your little gay insults somewhere else please, if you knew even 1/10 of what the average UGer knows you wouldnt have an mg, so thanks for your input but no thanks...

mmm, big man, i dont think you go the just of my message friend, i said that there are too many people going around saying **** about the amps, and have never owned one, if they have, and have experienced problems with them, fine, my hats off to them, im just saying, that i've had mine for 4 years, and has never broken. I also tried the amp, and didn't buy it because it had marshall on it, i was full awar of their history being unreliable amps, but i bought it anyway, for 300 dollars. I really dont give a **** what you think of my skillz, go ahead and call me a poser, but im on this site 10 minutes a day, as your on it probably 10 times that. Maybe stop talking guitar, and braging about your "skillz" and go play guitar, **** stain
Page 1 of 2