Ok I am a beginner. I've been working on the intro to breaking the law by Judas Priest. But what I need is some warmup techniques that I can do before I start playing the song. Preferably something that will help my reach, because I have small hands and need some work on my reach.
The basic stretching excercise out of the Steve Vai 10 hour workout:

Stretching Exercises:
The stretching exercises shown in Figures 9 & 10 are played just like the two-note-per string picking exercises, but the idea now is to gradually increase the span of one's fretting hand. Figure 9 streches each adjacent finger pair (1&2, 2&3, and 3&4). If you find it difficult to play any of these stretches in the 1st position, begin higher up the neck and work your way back down as your fingers become more limber and their range of motion increases. Figure 10 works the 1&3, and 2&4 finger pairs. In addition to these two exercises, try reaching four or five frets with the 1st and 4th fingers. As before, begin higher up the neck until your hand becomes more flexible.
"Hand position is critical in all these exercises," Steve emphasizes. "The thumb shouldn't be hooked over the top of the neck as this will greatly decrease your stretching ability. Keep it centered behind the neck and your fingers aligned parallel to the frets before attempting a stretch."

Figure 9
 3/4
  E E E E E E   E E E E E E   E E E E E E   E E E E E E   W
|-------------|---------1-3-|-2-4---------|-------------|------||
|-------------|-----1-3-----|-----2-4-----|-------------|------||
|-------------|-1-3---------|---------2-4-|-------------|------||
|---------1-3-|-------------|-------------|-2-4---------|------||
|-----1-3-----|-------------|-------------|-----2-4-----|------||
|-1-3---------|-------------|-------------|---------2-4-|------||

Figure 10
 3/4
  E E E E E E   E E E E E E   E E E E E E   E E E E E E   W
|-------------|---------1-4-|-2-5---------|-------------|------||
|-------------|-----1-4-----|-----2-5-----|-------------|------||
|-------------|-1-4---------|---------2-5-|-------------|------||
|---------1-4-|-------------|-------------|-2-5---------|------||
|-----1-4-----|-------------|-------------|-----2-5-----|------||
|-1-4---------|-------------|-------------|---------2-5-|------||
Quote by seljer

"Hand position is critical in all these exercises," Steve emphasizes. "The thumb shouldn't be hooked over the top of the neck as this will greatly decrease your stretching ability. Keep it centered behind the neck and your fingers aligned parallel to the frets before attempting a stretch."

What does he mean by that. When he sayd keep your thumb centered behind the neck does that mean parallel with the neck or perpendicular.
Quote by d4mo
What does he mean by that. When he sayd keep your thumb centered behind the neck does that mean parallel with the neck or perpendicular.

I personally end up having it diagonal but more the the parallel side
Ok more questions. When he says "If you can't get it go higher up on the neck" Does that mean nearer to the body where the frets are closer together. When I think of "Higher" on the neck I think of closer to the 1st fret.

Also I'm still a little confused about these excercises. Like in figure 9 how do I do that. Run through it first 1 fingers 1&2 and then do it with 2&3 and then again with 3&4 or what?
Quote by seljer

Stretching Exercises:
The stretching exercises shown in Figures 9 & 10 are played just like the two-note-per string picking exercises, but the idea now is to gradually increase the span of one's fretting hand. Figure 9 streches each adjacent finger pair (1&2, 2&3, and 3&4). If you find it difficult to play any of these stretches in the 1st position, begin higher up the neck and work your way back down as your fingers become more limber and their range of motion increases. Figure 10 works the 1&3, and 2&4 finger pairs. In addition to these two exercises, try reaching four or five frets with the 1st and 4th fingers. As before, begin higher up the neck until your hand becomes more flexible.

Figure 9
3/4
E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E W
|-------------|---------1-3-|-2-4---------|-------------|------||
|-------------|-----1-3-----|-----2-4-----|-------------|------||
|-------------|-1-3---------|---------2-4-|-------------|------||
|---------1-3-|-------------|-------------|-2-4---------|------||
|-----1-3-----|-------------|-------------|-----2-4-----|------||
|-1-3---------|-------------|-------------|---------2-4-|------||

Figure 10
3/4
E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E W
|-------------|---------1-4-|-2-5---------|-------------|------||
|-------------|-----1-4-----|-----2-5-----|-------------|------||
|-------------|-1-4---------|---------2-5-|-------------|------||
|---------1-4-|-------------|-------------|-2-5---------|------||
|-----1-4-----|-------------|-------------|-----2-5-----|------||
|-1-4---------|-------------|-------------|---------2-5-|------||

Ok, on figure 9, I understand I have to use first and third fingers, then second and Fourth fingers.

Then on Figure 10, I use first and fourth fingers then I move my frethand halfstep and still use first and fourth fingers?

If so, maybe I have to play figure 9 with first and third fingers, move my frethand halfstep and still use first and third fingers?

help please, Im a bit lost with what's the good way to do it.
Quote by Locrian
Ok, on figure 9, I understand I have to use first and third fingers, then second and Fourth fingers.

Then on Figure 10, I use first and fourth fingers then I move my frethand halfstep and still use first and fourth fingers?

If so, maybe I have to play figure 9 with first and third fingers, move my frethand halfstep and still use first and third fingers?

help please, Im a bit lost with what's the good way to do it.

I only do it with 2 fingers at a time (moving the hand up 1 fret every time it moves up). I'll take 1st and 3rd and repeat it all the way up to the 12th fret (and maybe all the way down again...in reverse or whatever) then I'll do it again using the 2nd and 4th fingers instead. And if I feel like it I even do 1st and 2nd on a stretch over 2 frets or 3rd and 4th (this ones kind of tricky ).

Noone says you HAVE to play all excersizes like these the way they are written. Create your own patterns if you feel like it. Just keep it at a steady beat (with a metronome if possible) and with nice clean picking.
Petrucci's "Rock Discipline" has some excellent warm up excercises, dig up the video, or at least the tabs for it.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by seljer
I only do it with 2 fingers at a time (moving the hand up 1 fret every time it moves up). I'll take 1st and 3rd and repeat it all the way up to the 12th fret (and maybe all the way down again...in reverse or whatever) then I'll do it again using the 2nd and 4th fingers instead. And if I feel like it I even do 1st and 2nd on a stretch over 2 frets or 3rd and 4th (this ones kind of tricky ).

Noone says you HAVE to play all excersizes like these the way they are written. Create your own patterns if you feel like it. Just keep it at a steady beat (with a metronome if possible) and with nice clean picking.

On the tab you posted doesn't 1-3 mean the 1st and 3rd fret not the first and thir fingers.
Warming up, eh?

I run the blues scale at varying speeds... (TAB in G)

e [-----------------------------3-6-----
b [------------------------3-6----------
g [-----------------3-5-6---------------
d [------------3-5----------------------
a [-----3-4-5---------------------------
e [-3-6---------------------------------

and then back.

I usually start slow and then pick up more speed as I go.

Then I practice moving power chords around the fret board.

A - F - C - G is a fun progression, or the typical, G - D - Em - C.

It depends on why I'm warming up. What kind of songs will I be playing? What kind of music will I be playing (Genre, Vibe, Feel etc)?

To be honest, I don't use any set "warm-ups" I just run around on my guitar until I feel loose and ready to play. Find whatever works best for you.
Dude, where's your drums? Where's your drums dude? Dude, where's your drums? Dude.
Well by warmup I meant more of a stertching techique. I tried the steve vai thing and that is so hard, I can barly do it even around the 12th fret.
In all honesty, you may be much better off working on basic fretting technique and
warming up with that, rather than kill yourself trying to make big stretches right
off the bat. Because at some point you need position shifting as well as stretches
and if your technique is nice and relaxed your shifting will be a lot better.

I'd highly recommend www.guitarprinciples.com if you haven't been there yet.
And its not necessarily beginners stuff. I work on it all the time. Its fundamental
stuff that will help all the other stuff you need to play.