Soon I will be graduating and I think that my parents are going to be helping me buy a new amp. I am thinking about getting a good tube amp. I currently play a Vox Valvetronix Head. This is great compared to my old solid states that I have owned. At first I was going to go 5150/6505 but from what I hear, the cleans just aren't that great. I want something that is very versatile. I am currently playing in a hardcore band. Some heavy stuff but nothing like metal. I need something that will do hardcore but I want it to be able to do classic rock and blues.

From listening to the sound clips on the Peavey website, I liked the JSX crunch and ultra a little better than the XXX but for some reason I like the XXX cleans better. Some was hard to tell because they don't play the same songs in the clips, so it was hard to compare.

Which of the two would be the best for me? I will probably only be spending $700 at most for one of these used if I can find it.

Any others that you would reccomend over those amps?

Would the Ashdown Fallen Angel 60w tube head work well for me? I don't have a store that stocks them so I can't play one.

Thanks
i dont know what to say about the peaveys

but i've heard ashdown amps are very unreliable and break down
Peavey JSX it is my man, Same Features as the Triple XXX, but the JSX features a noise gate, Fat Switches on the Crunch and Ultra channel to add more bottom end. There is also Resonance and Presence from the 5150/6505 series, so it is pretty much everything Peavey Makes combined. THe cleans are really good to made to be layed with effects and handle them very well.
Quote by stratster23
Peavey JSX it is my man, Same Features as the Triple XXX, but the JSX features a noise gate, Fat Switches on the Crunch and Ultra channel to add more bottom end. There is also Resonance and Presence from the 5150/6505 series, so it is pretty much everything Peavey Makes combined. THe cleans are really good to made to be layed with effects and handle them very well.

bout sums it up..

JSX = XXX with less gain|

I went for the XXX because gain>everything
I need some good tight gain for my band but I want versatility for my playing. I want to be able to play some blues and classic rock. Does anyone know how much I could get a used JSX head for?
Quote by TheFluffy
bout sums it up..

JSX = XXX with less gain|

I went for the XXX because gain>everything

Yes , but tis not that noticable. I couldnt notice the differnce when i had a XXX 120 for a while.
The cleans are drastically improved, the gain even tho its "lessensed" its made more articulate. The headroom on this amp is virtually limitless. It can take several pedals without damaging the tone.

6505 can do cleans if new tubes are installed and a new bias pot is also

Edit: They go for 500-1100 on ebay
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
The biggest problem with newer players is too much gain

I like the JSX's clean channel a lot better...imo
The Jsx only has like 5% less gain or something close to that i read. It's hardly noticable. The cleans are amazing and work very well with effects. If you can find a cheap JSX i'd go for it, if not you can find a cheap 6505 and it's very similar. Make sure whatever you get you pair up with a really good cab. A ****ty cab will kill your sound trust me.

myspace.com/weasheroesband
Yep, get one with low watt (25-30) Celestions
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!