I've been playing bass for about a month now, and I've always stuck to playing with my fingers because I feel I have more control. My friend on the other hand who is also a bassist cannot play with her fingers. Kinda curious how what it was like playing a bass with a pick, I jacked one of my friend guitar picks(probably the first mistake) and tried it out on my bass and it sounded bad. All my strings made this weird twangy vibratey sound. Now I figured there could be a few reasons why it sounded so bad A. It was a guitar pick, B. I've always played with my fingers and I could have bad form with a pick, and I'm hoping its not C. Something to do with my strings or my neck. Now having something to do with the actual Bass would suprise me, not floor me, but would suprise me seeing as I made sure my action was set reasonably and my neck is in a slight "C" Shape, and yes I had a professional do it. So, which one is it A,B, or C. Sorry if the lettering choices sound a little fruity just the way Im used to doing things, and if there another reason why my Bass make weird sounds when using a pick please let me know what it is.
Well it would be B since you've always palyed with your fingers. There is no special bass pick and a pick will give you a more twangy, agressive sound. Nothing is wrong with your bass you just need to practice using a pick
Most people prefer 1mm picks (Blue Tortex) but I, however, prefer a medium/thin pick..Like an Orange Tortex.

Just whatevers comfortable.
Your not alone I use the Orange Tortex's to. I can't use thick ones because they slow me down alot.
i use orange tortex as well
Member #62 of the Alter bridge rocks club
pm Logz to join

Quote by Ignite
You know you're a guitar player when you're thinking about yourself playing awesome solos when you're having intercourse. Yes, I said intercourse... deal with it.
Funny how guitarist's usually complain about thin picks slowing them down.

Heh, you crazy bassists.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
I find the orange too flappy and lacks punch and "balls" in the sound. I use blue and purple tortex generally. If you get a smooth picking technique, and don't dig in, you can achieve both speed and punchy tone.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by SnuffdaCrimDog
Ok so that vibratey kinda buzz on my frets thing is ok when using a pick?

That's just fret buzz and you could be playing to hard or just not have your fingers postition right.
I play with the thick pick.. and I usually play it for fast punk/metal songs.. like with Mudvayne tabs.

On the other hand.. if the tabs are repeatative and easy.. I'll just use my fingers.

I need to buy some 1.5 mm picks though.
Quote by WashBurn!
like with Mudvayne tabs.

you should be playing mudvayne with your fingers, that's the way they play it, and a lot of mudvayne songs have slap in them so it's also an issue of practicality, as well as sound/authenticity

More on-topic, i tend to use Dunlop 2.0 big stubbys for bass, but i'm trying to improve my fingerstyle playing at the moment so i'm trying not to.
Quote by Basser121503
That's just fret buzz and you could be playing to hard or just not have your fingers postition right.

I know what frett buzz is Im not playing that hard though( I dont think)and my finger placement is fine(I think)
Could it be the strings rattling against the pickup(s)?
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Could it be the strings rattling against the pickup(s)?

Uh, deffinetly not that. Its deffinetly the frets. Maybe its just something that happens when youe playing with a pick? Its probably my form cuz they dont rattle when I play with my fingers.
I believe the solution to your problem is felt picks.

No buzz at all, but still the cool punch sound
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Quote by SnuffdaCrimDog
Uh, deffinetly not that. Its deffinetly the frets. Maybe its just something that happens when youe playing with a pick? Its probably my form cuz they dont rattle when I play with my fingers.

Yeah, you could try picking closer to the bridge, or try a different type of pick/using a different edge of the pick, like the butt end (that's what I do when I have to play bass, since I'm a guitarist with crap fingerstyle form).
It's all practice. I use a pick about 50% of the time anymore; it's good to be diverse with technique.

I use either heavy-gauge Hercos or, more often, these tiny little green Tortex jazz guitar picks. Those are the best. I have a large collection of picks and gauges I use for different sounds, but I use those Tortex jazz picks most often.
I use my fingers sometimes but since I also play guitar, my speed and timing is much better with a pick. I've been trying to just use my fingers more lately though. If you really want to use a pick but like the finger-esque tone, try out the Wedgie rubber picks. They are kind of weird to get used to because they are slow on the strings but after a while it's not bad.
I have trouble deciding how I want to play sometimes because I'm great with a pick and good with my fingers. There are advantages to both but I'm thinking when I play live I'll use both and when my fingers start to get tired I'll use a pick
Ok just to get one thing straight its my form not my bass correct. I really hate to take my bass in again.
Yep, just work on your picking technique for a bit and you'll see it clean up alot.
Yup, picking can sound really, really good if you're good at it, listen to Tool, Justion Chancellor uses a pick and his tone is awesome. It gives a very bright tone and is very good for the soundscapes that Tool creates.