im still sort of a begginer....i can play notes and reach chords and all that but im having an extremely hard time keeping the right beat and practicing stroke pattersna like down down up down up down.....stuff like that its like i think to much and cant do it......and i look like a dumb idiot doing it.........any advice on how to improve?

Do you Want Some SLAW?
I certainly hope you can play notes
My Gear-
Gibson SG Junior
52' Hot Rod Tele
American Deluxe Strat
Yamaha Cg-104
Fender Twin (white)
Boss CH1
Boss OC-3
DOD overdrive
Fulltone OCD
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Vox Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Univibe
Best advice is to practice practice practice.

Try to relax and don't have your wrist stiff. Try to 'feel' the rhythm.

Also, don't try to hit every string when you're playing the upstroke. In reality you'll probably only play the top 3 or 4 strings. (top as in high)
One way that you may find useful is a metronome. I personally find that a metronome screws me up while playing guitar, but that it works wonders while playing bass. Also, playing along with a recorded version of the song (as many people do) can teach different strumming patterns and how to stay in time.

Another good way to learn to be in flawless (or at least good) time is to play with other people. If you are playing with other people (especially in a band) it is of utmost importance that you are all playing at the same time and keeping the beat correct. You don't want your drummer at 60 bpm while you're playing at 90...at least most people don't.
Quote by pittloser22
im still sort of a begginer....i can play notes and reach chords and all that but im having an extremely hard time keeping the right beat and practicing stroke pattersna like down down up down up down.....stuff like that its like i think to much and cant do it......and i look like a dumb idiot doing it.........any advice on how to improve?

I kinda have the same prob, but not with the stroke patterns, I just always, I mean ALWAYS play the same pattern... Down, Down, Down, Up, Down, Up, Down, Up (Howie Day's - Colide Pattern ~_~) Guess I should try to get out of that
At least you know where the problem lies. That's the first step to sorting it out.

Try strumming along to Wonderwall, I find that helped with my rhythm and strumming.