Lately I've been getting real interested in fingerpicking songs, such as Tears In Heaven/Dust In The Wind... And I'm ready to learn more... Any suggestions? I want something that's a bit challenging, not something like RHCP or anything like that, but nothing like crazy Esteban picking. Heh.
-GEAR-

Schecter C-1 XXX
Squier Fender Stratocaster
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960A Lead Cabinet
Peavey Studio Pro 112
MXR Carbon Copy

Check out my band:www.myspace.com/silentsurrendertx
clasical gas.......
"Where the Beatles wanted to hold your hand, the Stones wanted to fuck your sister or daughter"

My profile
Classical stuff is pretty cool.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
You could try Angeles by Elliott Smith, but it's kinda hard....
Try stuff from Harry sacksioni, it's pretty cool. I can play elixer try it you'll be busy for a while with that
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
I find it weird that no one ever talks about Horizon from Genesis when they're talking about good finger picking songs.

Yes stairways is nice but Horizon got that weird medieval sound to it that makes people around you go " wow, interesting".

Go listen to that song. I think its on foxtrot, i might be wrong.
Opeth has some good fingerpicking stuff, "Still day beneath the sun" and "Patterns in the ivy" (I and II) are both good songs. They have a lot of other fingerpicking stuff too, those are just the two off the top of my head.
Spinal tap, love pumps *well its on a piano but i tabbed with my acoustic...even though its not an actual song*
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
Blackbird by The Beatles.. C'mon now people!

Edit: I guess its not that hard.. but its still a good one to know!
Last edited by MrFire8808 at May 16, 2006,
Asturas by Paco is a good one. some parts of it are rediculously hard but itll definatly help you out if u work on it
Quote by Muaddib
I find it weird that no one ever talks about Horizon from Genesis when they're talking about good finger picking songs.

Yes stairways is nice but Horizon got that weird medieval sound to it that makes people around you go " wow, interesting".

Go listen to that song. I think its on foxtrot, i might be wrong.

Whoops I forgot that one. Played it last week I think. And yes it is on Foxtrot
whats foxtrot?
Originally posted by skeptopotamus
Well, me and my lab of expert scienticians have created an ingenius device that will capture one's flatulence and transport it to a nearby foe's rectum, thus attributing any foul odors towards your enemies, mblavin.
A cd by a prog band called Genesis. It's a pretty good investment, although I prefer Nursery Crymes from that period.
Try looking into Leo Kottke's CD A Shout Towards Noon, it has some awesome fingerpicking in it, not too hard but great sounding. There are a lot of the tabs off the CD here, so that shouldn't be any trouble.
I have nothing to put in here.
Sisters - Steve vai
Guitar
Jackson DKMGT with semour duncan pickups
Peavey Classic 30 (upgraded speaker)
Digitech Digidelay
Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
Dunlop wah
Boss DS-1
Bass
Rogue LX400 pro- 4 string bass
Rogue RB60 60 watt bass combo
Create your own by putting a mixture of good sounding chords together and then figerpick the notes and see what sounds good
Road Trippin' - RHCP

I know the threadstarter said no RHCP but this is a good song to learn fingerpicking and it sounds good. I just started learning it yesterday. Next week when I get my acoustic it'll be even more fun to play.
the start of scar tissue by RHCP
or
babe i'm gonna leave you by zeppelin
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
Simon and Garfunkel - Bleecker Street (a lot of their songs are fingerpicked)
The Beatles - Blackbird

or maybe some classical music
Paul McCartney's Here There and Everywhere for a somewhat trickier fingerpicking song. 2 J.S. Bach pieces that aren't too hard: Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring; and Partita No. 3 Mvt. III. Gavotte en Rondeau BWV 1006. And you can probably find a pretty easy Greensleeves arrangement with both melody and bass notes. But yeah, Blackbird and stairway are good for starting out. You do know that generally, thumb plays the 3 bass strings and index, middle, and ring play G, B, and e, right? Just checking.
the wind- cat stevens [too bad there are no good tabs for this (somebody please tab this well!)]
DEE by Randy Rhoads! Oh, and are you looking for stuff to challenge you or stuff that sounds cool?
Challenge: banjo players like Scruggs- Foggy Mountain Breakdown, Ballad of Jed Clampett
Sounds Cool: Metallica songs- Nothing Else Matters, The Unforgiven
Quote by SilverStratocas
Lately I've been getting real interested in fingerpicking songs, such as Tears In Heaven/Dust In The Wind... And I'm ready to learn more... Any suggestions? I want something that's a bit challenging, not something like RHCP or anything like that, but nothing like crazy Esteban picking. Heh.

Start listening to Mississippi John Hurt, he does alternating bass notes. It's awesome...and very useful if you get into that kind of stuff. There is a site where you can learn one of his coolest songs, Candyman, even I can play it (I'm not great, but I try).

try some bert jansch stuff blackwaterside is pretty good. Its like playin black mountainside but without the gay tuning