i got a Johnson EMG built pretty much like a strat...
had it for about a year and a few months... i know that many ppl would say toss it and get sumthin better, but i got no $ to do that... hadda problem earlier where the wires connected to the output jack needed to be resoldered, cause whenever i plugged in, it would just start making this horrible noise... so they were...

i started having another problem recently where if my cord makes slight angle changes, say when i'm sitting as opposed to standing, it starts simply cutting off on random, so i can be 1/2 way through a chord and all of a sudden it goes acoustic, then back to regular... thru testing, i've found it's the guitar... and it's not a busted solder...

the question is:
what would be the best way to correct this problem without having to buy a new guitar?
New jack?
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
do you sit down and play alot?...could be the cord...i sit and play alot and i found that i damaged the wires in my cord and had to get a new one...it had the same prblem...nothing a little duct tape wouldnt fix but i eventually got a right-angled cable and its all good

edit: try switching the end you put into the guitar to the amp and see if you have the same problem, if not try moving the cord around toward the amp jack and see if your sound drops out
Guitars
Agile 3100 Lp with Floyd Rose @ SD classic blues pups
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Old B.C. Rich NJ Series
Home Built Stratocaster
1/2 Ovation Trekker
olp
Amps
Bugera 5w class a
Pedals
Digitech Tone Driver Overdrive
dunlop 535q
thanks for the help...
my test included using a different amp and a different cord... and it still did the same thing...
but replacing the jack sounds like a good idea... how much u think that'd run me if i got 1 and did it myself?
when they come for me, i'll be sitting at my desk, with a gun in my hand, wearin a bullet-proof vest, singin: "my my my how the time does fly, when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night"
A new jack'll run to about $3.00 plus solder, not exactly something to get a mortgage for...
It could be that the hot wire is touching the ground wire when ever you move. If you have a lot of bare wire flopping around, try covering tehm in electrical tape.
i don't think that's the problem, since it's mostly connected since the resolder...
but 1 last question... what happens if it ends up to be internal electronics, nothing to do with the jack components?
when they come for me, i'll be sitting at my desk, with a gun in my hand, wearin a bullet-proof vest, singin: "my my my how the time does fly, when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night"
I'm not sure then, it's probably te cord, I have that same problem with my junker cord.

And it probaly isn't internal, if it was you wouldn't get any sound or little sound.
Replace the jack, and if you dont have the cash to do that, open the jackplate, and bend the pins in towards the hole. They probly came loose. If that dosent work, its a busted solder.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
i'll try that then... thanks
when you standing up put your strap on the guitar then run your cable from the right under your strap then into the jack. then just wear the strap and the strap should be held in place between the strap and guitar. there should be no movement in the cord, thus preventing your problem. It's no sure fire way but if you got no dough it's the way to go!
Last edited by ready4thebreak at May 16, 2006,