ok well i have a problem that i cant seem to fix. When i do solos and such i keep getting a lot of open strings ringing that arent even near the strings that im playing. I think that my palm might actually be slightly hitting the strings. This is when my palm is floating....i found that they dont ring when my palm is muting the strings, but isnt this a bad anchoring method? Should i just keep my palm down and use the anchoring method or is there any other way?
My old sig sucked
If it works for you I don't see a problem with anchoring and muting. Some other people might, but if it helps you play go for it.
What I do is stretch out my thumb FAR over the neck so it covers the strings I'm not playing. This also helps well for bends on the higher strings.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by Kartman
What I do is stretch out my thumb FAR over the neck so it covers the strings I'm not playing. This also helps well for bends on the higher strings.

its all opinion, because in my view ^ that is one of the worst techniques to develop.

As for the anchoring bit, i have found what works best is to rest your forearm on the guitar keep your wrist floating and if you hit a open string just move your wrist to dampen it really quickly, then move it back off again
Work on muting the strings you aren't playing with your left hand. Try to use your fingers to touch the strings so they don't ring out.
Summer Sale: Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends September 4th.
www.UnderTheGroove.com