I've never played a 12 string guitar in my life. I'm thinking about buying one, but I am not sure about a couple of things.
How difficult is it to fingerpick a 12 string? I mean dont even know if its possible to pick 2 strings at the same time with one finger!My style of playing involves playing chords and incorporating a lot of finger picking. So if its really as difficult as i imagine, I would be wasting my money buying a 12 string. Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!
Nice name....

Anyways, it really depends on you. I don't find it difficult to do so...but go to your local shop and give it a shot yourself!

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
you get used to it but it's pretty hard at first.... nails help a TON on a 12 string also
Quote by adhuv
i found a 12-string hard to play in general. chords were fine but i struggled playing good single note stuff. maybe i was just having an off day.

nah it takes a bit to get used to it
Check out the John Butler video from that thread here earlier today...good 12 string playing including fingerpicking (actually, 11 strings).
i mean you could get one for 100 bucks or probably less. it just depends on how good of one you want.
when I first heard this song, I wanted a 12 string real bad. You guys should listen to the cd version of the song, I think its way more powerful. I think he plays it differently in this live video. Btw the sound is him playing live, its just not synced together like most youtube videos
Quote by kenshinzorz
when I first heard this song, I wanted a 12 string real bad. You guys should listen to the cd version of the song, I think its way more powerful. I think he plays it differently in this live video. Btw the sound is him playing live, its just not synced together like most youtube videos

are you talking about the video of john butler playing ocean? you didn't really specify any song in that post.
He plays an entirely different version every time he plays it live. I think the studio version is extremely boring and lifeless. That video right there is the best version of it, in my opinion. I also posted a tab of about half of it in that john butler thread from earlier, if you care to learn it. Playing a 12 string is just like any other new technique. It takes some time and practice to get good at. I think it would be more advantageous to grow out your fingernails to play, but that's if you really get into it.
12-strings are AMAZING for chord work....IMO, thats their place in the music world: nice, full sounding chords. as for finger picking: it takes some time to develop an effective technique, but once you figure it out, it makes for some sick sounding finger picking parts. i think you should def go out and buy a 12-string, but youll only know if its good for you once you go play some