Page 1 of 3
Ok so this is something Ive been kicking around in my head a couple days

I think punk rock has a very important message that everyone should hear. And I understand that punk rock isnt about making money or hitting it big. But at the same time, I cant help but feel like the punk rock message isnt really reaching anyone, and is merely beiing recycled back onto the same audience.

So do you think punk rock should be making an effort to gain a wider audience, if only to bring new ideas to more people? Should punk rock bands be attempting to gain mainstream acceptance, much like Rage Against the Machine?
no, the message is important but most people don't care.

I'd rather go to a show with 20 people who deeply care about it than 5000 people who are in it just for fun.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
I don't think that's possible.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
Not to spew a pretentious quip, but I honestly don't know. What is punk's message and how is it NOT considered mainstream? Anything I ever hear played out here by the "hip" crowd is either punk or emo.
Schecter CSH-1
Schecter Omen 6
Schecter 30th Anniversary Traditional
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Peavey XXX 40
Digitech Whammy
Visual Sound H2O
FullTone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Quote by Spaceman_Spiff
So do you think punk rock should be making an effort to gain a wider audience, if only to bring new ideas to more people? Should punk rock bands be attempting to gain mainstream acceptance, much like Rage Against the Machine?

RATM isn't punk, and pretty much any hope of REAL punk with a serious message got dashed on the rocks after American Idiot.
Punk Rock can have an important message That doesn't mean it always does, especially when it gets to the point of being mainstream.
Quote by GBMan
Not to spew a pretentious quip, but I honestly don't know. What is punk's message and how is it NOT considered mainstream? Anything I ever hear played out here by the "hip" crowd is either punk or emo.

None of that mainstream stuff that passes as punk really is punk.
Commie Punk Bands.

Anarchist Punk bands.

Nazi Punk bands.

Liberal punk bands.

Conservative Punk Bands.

It really really depends on what their view is. You wouldn't want Skrewdriver getting mainstream.
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
Quote by GBMan

Punk Rock is about creating an alternative to mainstream music/culture that anyone can be comfortable in and be a part of.

Punks don't always agree on what we beleive in, but most of us (who are dedicated to DIY punk rock) realize how important it is that we have this alternative.

I'd say that's a broad enough definition not to piss anyone off.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Punk's message should go mainstream.
But for the sake of self-respect, it shouldn't.
It's no fault of Punk, it's enthos, or its music.
It's just the way modern society has been structured for the past 26 some-odd years that's the problem.
(I don't think I really need to explain anything there...)
Circle that A, motherfucker!
Quote by Mr. Kashmir
RATM isn't punk, and pretty much any hope of REAL punk with a serious message got dashed on the rocks after American Idiot.

Im not saying Rage were punk. Im asking if punk bands should take the route Rage did, attempting to bring ideas to the mainstream.
Punk is spreading it's message, just not at an exceedingly fast pace. You don't have to go mainstream to be popular(granted it is very difficult).
youre such a WH0RE!
Sex Pistols - God save the queen. Wasn't allowed on the charts because it was too politically sensitive.

Dead Boys - I need lunch. If a song like that was on the charts, the PMRC would do anything they could to ban it.

And a lot of the other stuff is way to offensive to be mainstream.

If we want our ideas to reach a larger audience, we could make groups that have a certain point of view. eg: (and this is the only one I can think of right now) the patriotic youth league promotes white australians hating immigrants. It has nothing to do with music.

And anyway, right now, what I care about is getting people to stop abusing the name of punk so they can get 12 year old girls to think they're tough.
We should keep punk to the people that truly love it.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
The only way that punk can make it into the mainstream is if it is watered down and polished. And after that happens it's hard to call it punk because by becoming popular and commercial, it's defeated its own purpose.

So I don't think so.
whose the retard that wants punk to go mainstream? That wold never happen because in order to go mainstream, you would have to completetly defeat the sense of punk....disobeying social norms, and trashing mainstream stuff and the government. Punk is better off surviving by word on the grapevine.
Quote by opivy21
The only way that punk can make it into the mainstream is if it is watered down and polished. And after that happens it's hard to call it punk because by becoming popular and commercial, it's defeated its own purpose.

So I don't think so.

I disagree. Just how mainstream are we talking? Punk is already pretty big, and a significant portion of the public can really appreciate what its saying. With more distribution and some airtime (probably internet air time), it can take off without this talk of "polishing." The masses aren't as sensitive as you might have them believe. They swallow rap's cum like cheap whores... I think they can take some punk.
Live fast, die young.
Quote by MrLucky77713
I disagree. Just how mainstream are we talking? Punk is already pretty big, and a significant portion of the public can really appreciate what its saying. With more distribution and some airtime (probably internet air time), it can take off without this talk of "polishing." The masses aren't as sensitive as you might have them believe. They swallow rap's cum like cheap whores... I think they can take some punk.

I'm talking about MTV, radio, and major labels. Rap is easier to swallow than punk is if you ask me. Rap that adresses social and political issues doesn't get played on the radio. Where I live (in the south), it seems like most people don't really want to hear stuff like that in there music. I agree that punk could become more commonly known with better exposure, but I'm talking about being on TV and getting cds sold at Walmart.
I personally hope punk never becomes acceptable. It's a constant reaction imo... The people who could really make a difference to it, will find about it any way they can and that's what gives it so much force and energy. The people who are 'punk's will find out everything about it and make a decision that'll change their lives forever.
i say: combine all the punk record labels into one giant label, and then buy our own tv station and play punk all day! so then, the huge friggin punk label wont tell any of its bands what to sound like, and punk would be controlled by us instead of the giant record labels! woooooo!!!

it could work....

it could stay uncensored, you'd just have to buy it seperatley like hbo...
That's a horrible idea. Punk is already controlled by people in the scene, turing it into a faceless centralized conglomerate would be self-destructive and completely contradictory to the DIY eithic.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
Last edited by CowsWithGuns at May 16, 2006,
punk isnt exactly mainstream. Its just those people that dress like it beacuse they think that its a cool "fashion". But if you ask them what they listen to the chances are they will give you a fashion punk MTV sellout band. When punk bands become mainstream, they lose what punk is. They have to change their lyrics so it can be on the radio, and so on. anyways i dont want retarted fans at the shows i go to. Like jocks and preps(not all though, i have some prep freinds that go to punk shows but arent the typical loud and dumb ones.)
Quote by llanafreak44
punk isnt exactly mainstream. Its just those people that dress like it beacuse they think that its a cool "fashion". But if you ask them what they listen to the chances are they will give you a fashion punk MTV sellout band. When punk bands become mainstream, they lose what punk is. They have to change their lyrics so it can be on the radio, and so on. anyways i dont want retarted fans at the shows i go to. Like jocks and preps(not all though, i have some prep freinds that go to punk shows but arent the typical loud and dumb ones.)

There have been plenty of popular punk bands. The Ramones, the Clash, the Sex Pistols, Dropkick Murphys, Husker Du, and many more are popular punk bands.
Almost all of Rage Against The Machine's fans have no idea what they're all about. They never stop and listen to what they have to say. If punk was mainstream, the same thing would happen.
Quote by opivy21
I'm talking about MTV, radio, and major labels. Rap is easier to swallow than punk is if you ask me. Rap that adresses social and political issues doesn't get played on the radio. Where I live (in the south), it seems like most people don't really want to hear stuff like that in there music. I agree that punk could become more commonly known with better exposure, but I'm talking about being on TV and getting cds sold at Walmart.

What about Kanye West and Eminem and many others. they talk about religion the gov't and "social and political issues."

Man, you too wac
What aspect of punk are we talking about? Are we talking about the sound of simple power chords? Are we talking about the do what ever you want or say whatever you want to say attitude? Or are we talking about the ideal that it is ok to like whatever music you like. Wasn't punk created for people who didn't want to listen to what the rest of the world was absorbed in. I think punk is more of an attitude that was developed for true individuals. However to answer the question at hand, punk will not and should not go main stream because it is now a foundation of many different types of music and as it has been stated before it will become "watered down" which will ruin many genres. PUNK=DIVERSITY
Punk was made for many reasons. One was to have something to listen to other than those same rock bands they played on the radio.
Another was originality.

Original bands don't become popular. MTV is a tool used by record companies to sort which bands are the "in thing" and which bands would get a cult following at most.

If it was made mainstream, it would have to be purely for the message, because a lot of the fans love punk so much because the musicians play because they love to play. They write songs that matter to them, sound cool to them, and who cares what anyone else thinks.
Siouxsie and the banshees hadn't even rehearsed before they opened the 100 club festival, they just wanted to play.

Rap bands aren't as politically sensitive as punk bands. They may say "bush sucks" "it sucks being poor" "police suck" etc, but they rarely go deeper than that.
Many people say there songs are offensive because they say f*ck and n*gger a lot, and refer to women as b*tches (which I think is the most sexist thing you can do, and they should be shot for it), but thats it.

Another one, punk bands usually get labelled as nazis for one reason or another. Dead Kennedys used sarcastic lyrics and people thought they were nazis. Noone understood shock value and siouxsie sioux was labelled as a nazi.

If punk should get popular for any reason, it should be for the NAME of punk. Tell people that simple plan, blink 182, green day, good charlotte, all them pop-rock bands have nothing to do with punk other than that they use it to sound rebellious. They aren't political, they have no radical ideals, they aren't original, they sing about how much they love some beautiful woman but how their romance is doomed for one reason or another.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
I agree with what the glue man and pistols said, and wanted to add that punk is already mainstream enough, as it is, thanks to those a$$holes in Green Day.

Pop punk is as close to the real thing as the great unwashed masses should go, because they wouldn't understand it and would destroy it.
Subtle nuances, sarcasm and innuendo are completely lost on people who watch sh*t like American Idol.

If you watch this, you'll get the idea of what the majors would love to do to all of punk rock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-TjiL3Ualw&search=punky%20chips%20ahoy
^ **** i hate that comercial. but the kids do have some moves...

punk wouldnt be good mainstream because of the reasons the glue man, pistols and nemo stated. plus can ypu picture all the fall out boy or rap kids comin in to school w/ leather jackets and misfits, Loc, A global threat, Against All Aurhority, circle, jerks, cheap sex, etc. patches. doing all of it for fashon.
Kick Ass Ska from the New Orleans Area

Quote by jetfuel495
Quote by DamageMachine
Could be Super AIDS

omfg like in resident evil 4? with the tentacles coming out of his head?

LAS PLAGAS!

Quote by LadyHellraiser
I like boobs
Damn, i sound like a rugmuncher today, haha.
Not everyone who likes those kinds of music and listens to the radio is as stupid as some of you may imply. The stereotypical plebian is bad, but good music only dies when the fans let it. No matter how many "bad fans" hit the scene, it only gets ruined when we let it.
Live fast, die young.
Quote by GBMan

Whatever you consider punk must be way off like 99.9% of punk is not mainstream it's not punk if it is because well punk is punk and it kind of kills the whole point so dood start listening to some real punk like the ramones, against me!, the sex pistols, the clash, or some **** like that and furthur more to prove my point did anyone the ramones would play huge venues on tour and only get payed like 50$ for food and drink and the bands they played with would make like $1000 dollars now thats what you call punk my friend....and to answer the final question i just don't know if thats possible...
"I will not rest untill the noise has stopped"-Vishus
I think that what music needs is a return to really raw, gutsy music. And it doesn't matter what genre it is, as long as it is honest, uncompromising and sincere.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
If punk goes mainstream every poser in the known world will say :
"I'm punk cuz I got a green mohawk and no cashLOL".
Quote by punkrocker_336
Whatever you consider punk must be way off like 99.9% of punk is not mainstream it's not punk if it is because well punk is punk and it kind of kills the whole point so dood start listening to some real punk like the ramones, against me!, the sex pistols, the clash, or some **** like that and furthur more to prove my point did anyone the ramones would play huge venues on tour and only get payed like 50$ for food and drink and the bands they played with would make like $1000 dollars now thats what you call punk my friend....and to answer the final question i just don't know if thats possible...

dont try and send him on the path of kids that know the bare minimum about punk music. yeah you can listen to those bands if you want but explore the music dont dwell on the clash forever they arent that great.

oh and to GBman, none of those bands you hear all th time are neither emo nor punk. they are a wave of bands that thrive off stealing culture from the emo and punk scenes and trying to call it their own. they call the music emo but it is faaar from it my friend. dont get caught up in what the kids at school say, they call the scenesters emo because they dont know any better, and those little assholes call their ****e music emo when its just a knockoff with a horrible sound, that creates horrible misconception about the music.
ya know....we are biased. we play guitar, we listen to real music. the people who listen to that crap on the radio listen to it because they dont care enough to look deeper to find better music. some of them arent stupid, they just dont care about music. and as far as to say will punk ever go mainstream? i personally wont let it...its not like there are really a lot of popular (not mainstream, just that sell a signifigant number of records) punk bands around these days anyways. but if stuff like the dead kennedys or black flag or whatever their equivilent is started to get played on the radio, id start playing faster, uglier, and singing about more offensive things, rock and roll itself is supposed to be dangerous. punk is supposed to be even more edgy, but theres so much crap that floats to the top of the charts and to the radio stations theres no room for real music. i dont care if you call it rock, punk, metal, country, rap, even ****in pop, but dont try to call yourselves something youre not. like greenday trying to call themselves a punk band, or cky trying to sell themselves as a badass metal band. the beatles knew they were a pop band and they did ok. its late im sorry if this didnt make any sense
Quote by Slobberjaws
ya know....we are biased. we play guitar, we listen to real music. the people who listen to that crap on the radio listen to it because they dont care enough to look deeper to find better music. some of them arent stupid, they just dont care about music. and as far as to say will punk ever go mainstream? i personally wont let it...its not like there are really a lot of popular (not mainstream, just that sell a signifigant number of records) punk bands around these days anyways. but if stuff like the dead kennedys or black flag or whatever their equivilent is started to get played on the radio, id start playing faster, uglier, and singing about more offensive things, rock and roll itself is supposed to be dangerous. punk is supposed to be even more edgy, but theres so much crap that floats to the top of the charts and to the radio stations theres no room for real music. i dont care if you call it rock, punk, metal, country, rap, even ****in pop, but dont try to call yourselves something youre not. like greenday trying to call themselves a punk band, or cky trying to sell themselves as a badass metal band. the beatles knew they were a pop band and they did ok. its late im sorry if this didnt make any sense

Oh I forgot we played guitar, hahaha.
SIZE]
Ok, I heard a guy saying he was on about the CDS being sold in Walmart and stuff and being on the radio. I'm an Anti-Flag fan and i've heard people say time and time again "they're not punk". They are punk but just have a polished sound and a more modern feel to it. They're on the radio and have records sold in Walmart and I think they are a punk band that has a lot to say politically and socially on the world that is important. Just because they don't have a singer the shouts his "head off" doesn't mean it aint punk....
Page 1 of 3