Page 1 of 2
Yea, ive been wondering if anyone at ug usually plays with a drop C tuning? If so is there any good riffs out there besides the Breaking Benjamin riffs?
chevelle and some nickelback and steve vai's bad horsie
Quote by McClean05
Sweep picking if i could actually get faster at it. But overall . . everything. Every technique in guitar playing is worth learning or playing. Nice thread by the way
yeah old System of a Down pre-mezmerize is drop C, Most hardcore bands eg Shadows Fall, Atreyu, As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage etc. Arch Enemy is in C standard as is Queens of the Stone Age, that's a few prime examples.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
I think Prong uses it a ton too.
"you hear people say, I don't care if people are black, white, green or purple. Ah come on now, green or purple? you've got to draw the line somewere" - Mitch Headburg.
Most of the top bands have been mentioned like Atreyu, Killswitch, As I Lay dying, but theres a couple others like Bullet for my Valentine, awesome band, uhmm.. Children of Bodom I think uses 1 step down, pretty much the same just dont tune the thickest string to C .. uhmm, Darkest Hour, Heavan Shall Burn,ill Nino, and It Dies Today are commonly using Drop C, check some of there stuff out, somes tough, but once u get a hang of it, its rewarding.
I understand Slipknot uses drop B, but I've yet to find a band that uses drop F. Rammstein uses Drop C, A Perfect Circle uses Some weird drop tuning, which I think is a Drop C/B Variant. But Bands like slipknot are the lowest I'm aware of.
Quote by tertiusoculus
I understand Slipknot uses drop B, but I've yet to find a band that uses drop F. Rammstein uses Drop C, A Perfect Circle uses Some weird drop tuning, which I think is a Drop C/B Variant. But Bands like slipknot are the lowest I'm aware of.

In Flames and Nile use Drop A. But i'd think "**** that" and use a 7-string if i'm tuning that low! Soilwork use B standard i believe as well. Drop F is ridiculous!! Just tune up half a step!
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
drop a? drop f? wtf?! why?.....so you can play a few notes lower? i'd figure the bass could just take over from there.
but, you have to admit, nile get a great sound, download Sacrifice unto Sebek, you'll know what i mean, the intro is amazing. But if you have a 7-string, which is B E A D G B E, tune that down a step, and voild, drop A, dream thater do it occasionally as well.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
No-one uses drop F, the frequency would just be too low and too quiet to read, PLus it'd sound muddled. Sorry to the mods for the double post by the way
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Okay, Ive tried to read some staind tabs, which are drop A, but when i tune down to it, its insanely loose. BTW, anyone know what korn's tunes to?
korn tunes as low as Drop A, staind actually uses a baritone guitar so that the strings remain tighter and korn uses 7 strings w/ really thick strings to keep them tight......
Hmm, that explains ALOT because i own the Mike Mushook Guitar, but i play their songs on my Iceman (Idk why its just i play it all the time). Ill look into getting some thicker strings for my Iceman.
Shadows fall all the way with some killswitch engage, atreyu, a little pantera, testament( old school thrash), unearth, and as i lay dying. Pretty much all of those bands play that tuning.
breaking ben is a bigg one, uhm, in flames, every time i die. idk
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
Quote by z4twenny
korn tunes as low as Drop A, staind actually uses a baritone guitar so that the strings remain tighter and korn uses 7 strings w/ really thick strings to keep them tight......

true staind do use a baritone but they also also 7-strings on the new album.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Mudvayne uses drop C. (Except for LD 50, which is drop B) Thrice also uses drop C. And Disturbed's Ten THousand Fists. (on all their other stuff its half a step down)
Quote by TheDarkestNight
Shadows fall all the way with some killswitch engage, atreyu, a little pantera, testament( old school thrash), unearth, and as i lay dying. Pretty much all of those bands play that tuning.

I dont think testament has ever used drop c....they use either Eb, C# and probably D as well, and Pantera only used Drop D when they did use drop tunings.
Disturbed? Some tool songs are in Beadgb (Parabol, parabola, prison sex)
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
* 12 Stones uses Drop C tuning in all their songs, for example, in their song Photograph.
* 16 Volt's album SuperCoolNothing is played in Drop C.
* A Day To Remember
* The Abdominals use Drop C tuning on their popular tracks "Mountain Ascender" and "Destroy by Fire."
* 30 Seconds to Mars use Drop C tuning both live and on albums.
* Alexi Laiho uses Drop C tuning in his song Sioux City Sarsaparilla which can be found on the Guitar Heroes album.
* Alter Bridge uses drop C in some of the songs in Blackbird.
* Anberlin
* Anterior
* As Blood Runs Black
* As I Lay Dying
* Atreyu
* Arsonists Get All The Girls
* August Burns Red
* Berri Txarrak uses Drop C.
* Biffy Clyro use Drop C tuning for the song "Living is a Problem Because Everything Dies."
* Black Label Society
* Black Stone Cherry uses Drop C and Drop Db Tuning.
* Blaze uses Drop C on the song Hollow Head.
* Blowsight use DROP C tuning in all their songs from the "Destination Terrorville" album.
* Bob Dylan uses Drop C in the traditional folk styling for several songs, most notably on "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue."
* Boys Like Girls use drop c tuning in the song "Thunder" for the Acoustic Guitar part.
* Breaking Benjamin uses Drop C tuning on most of their second album "We're Not Alone."
* Buckethead uses Drop C in many of his songs, such as "We Are One" and "Nottingham Lace" off his 2005 all-star album Enter the Chicken.
* Bullet for My Valentine uses Drop C tuning for all their albums.
* Cancer Bats
* Celldweller uses Drop C tuning in "Switchback"
* Chimaira
* Children of Bodom recorded Are You Dead Yet? and Blooddrunk (except 3 songs) and 2 songs from Hate Crew Deathroll (Angels Don't Kill & Sixpounder) in Drop C.
* Cog
* Converge uses Drop C on most of their work.
* Cradle Of Filth use Drop C on most of their songs.
* Darkest Hour use Drop C tuning for most of their records.
* Dead And Divine
* Deathstars
* Under Your Domain Uses Drop C and D Tuning (DGCFAD) on their self titled demo.
* Deftones used Drop C tuning on most of the album White Pony.
* Destroy the Runner
* DevilDriver uses Drop C in some of their work.
* Disturbed uses Drop C in their 3rd album Ten Thousand Fists. and on the album Indestructible
* Dir en grey uses Drop C in most of their recent songs.
* Dr. Acula
* Emigrate use Drop C on their song My World and most of the songs on their album, Emigrate.
* Enter Shikari use Drop C tuning in many of their songs.
* Escape the Fate
* Ethereal Dissonance
* Evans Blue alternate between Drop C and Drop A on a baritone guitar, both live and on both albums. (Occasional C#.)
* Face To Face (Berlin) use Drop C tuning on all their Songs.
* From First to Last use Drop C tuning On Their Album "Heroine." Guitarist Travis Richter Drop C Tuned Live
* Foxy Shazam uses Drop C Tuning
* Godsmack use Drop C tuning in a good number of their songs.
* Grinspoon's cover of the Prong song "Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck" is performed in Drop C tuning.
* Guns N' Roses' song Shackler's Revenge is performed in Drop C.
* Hail the Tragedy recently recorded their EP Lusitania exclusively in Drop C tuning.
* Haste the Day play many of their songs in Drop C.
* Hatebreed
* Helmet have recorded their most recent albums with this tuning, alternating with Drop D.
* Heaven Shall Burn also use Drop C in several songs, including "Counterweight."
* hide uses Drop C in "Blue Sky Complex."
* The Human Abstract
* Ill Niño
* Jimmy Eat World use Drop C for the Song 'Work'
* Job for a Cowboy uses Drop C on Doom
* John Mayer uses the Drop C tuning on the song "Neon"
* The Killing Tree use Drop C on the song "Dressed to ****."
* Killswitch Engage
* Kittie
* Last Words
* Lostprophets
* LoveHateHero
* Leathermouth uses Drop C tuning on their song "Fifth Period Massacre."
* Lumen
* Machinemade God
* Madina Lake
* Marilyn Manson uses Drop C tuning in "Cruci-Fiction in Space."
* Maximum the Hormone's "What's Up People?!" is played in Drop C.
* The Melvins use drop C tuning for the songs "The Talking Horse", "The Bloated Pope", "Pigs of the Roman Empire", "Safety Third", "Hung Bunny", "Roman Dog Bird", "The Horn Bearer" "AMAZON" (studio version only),and "Manky" (studio version only).
* Mentality are users of Drop C, along with Eb.
* Metallica used Drop C tuning for most of the St. Anger album.
* Misery Signals used Drop C tuning for all albums.
* Mudvayne uses Drop C tuning on Lost and Found,The End of All Things to Come, and Kill, I Oughtta/The Beginning of All Things to End.
* Muse uses CADGBE tuning on Map of the Problematique.
* Mustasch
* Nirvana uses Drop C in Blew
* Nonpoint uses CGCFAD in most of their songs.
* Omica
* Origin uses Drop C in Antithesis
* Ozzy Osbourne uses Drop C tuning in I Don't Wanna Stop.
* Pantera uses Drop C tuning in their songs I'll Cast a Shadow and It Makes Them Disappear off of their final album, Reinventing the Steel.
* P.O.D. alternates between D Standard and Drop C tuning.
* Pillar all of The Reckoning was in drop C
* Papa Roach on their albums.
* Porcupine Tree use Drop C in song Anesthetize from the Fear of a Blank Planet album, and "Cheating the Polygraph" from the Nil Recurring EP.
* Rammstein has recorded Reise, Reise and Rosenrot in Drop C.
* The Receiving End Of Sirens
* Red House Painters primarily use alternate tunings, including Drop C. Both "Evil" (from Bridge) and "24" (from Down Colorful Hill) use Drop C.
* The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus uses Drop C tuning for almost all of their songs.
* Rob Zombie uses drop C tuning CGCFAD on "Dragula", "Feel So Numb", and several other songs.
* Saosin
* Scrape Pain
* Seether use Drop C on 7 songs on Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces and the song "Hang on" from Disclaimer II and the Daredevil Soundtrack.
* Senses Fail use Drop C on the song Shark Attack off Still Searching and on most of their songs on Life Is Not A Waiting Room
* Seo Taiji uses Drop C tuning on most songs in his album, Seo Taiji 7th Issue
* Serj Tankian
* Shadows Fall uses Drop C on numerous albums.
* Sick Puppies uses Drop C on their song "All the Same" from the album Dressed Up As Life.
* Silverstein uses Drop C tuning for "The Sand Will Turn to Glass" from the album Arrivals & Departures.
* Slipknot uses Drop C on the album "Mate. Feed. Kill. Repeat."
* Soil Breaking Me Down
* Stick To Your Guns
* A Past In Shadows
* SKILLET on several songs off the album Collide
* System of a Down make heavy use of Drop C tuning on their first three albums, System of a Down, Toxicity, and Steal This Album!. They also used Drop C# on the last two of their albums Mezmerize and Hypnotize.
* The Black Dahlia Murder (Apex, Elder Misanthropy).
* The Sorrow
* Threat Signal
* Three Days Grace uses Drop C tuning for most of the songs from the album One-X.
* Thrice uses Drop C for all of The Artist In The Ambulance and a few songs on Vheissu
* Tides usually uses Drop C tuning.
* Tom Waits uses Drop C tuning for the intro guitar line in "Goin' Out West."
* Turmion Kätilöt uses Drop C tuning for most of their songs.
* Upon Descent use drop C tuning on all of their recorings.
* Uriah Heep uses (CGCFAD) tuning on "The Wizard."
* Ivan Lopez and Patrick Adams from The Second Chariot are known for their articulate riffs and clean passages in their guitar playing.used on "Destined For Demise."
^ 90% of be careful not to get another warning or it's permabye.

Quote by IncubusMan999
No-one uses drop F, the frequency would just be too low and too quiet to read, PLus it'd sound muddled. Sorry to the mods for the double post by the way

Meshuggah use drop E on occasion. They have to play differently to get around the problems you mention, but it sounds ****ing killer.
get a chromatic tuner that way you could tune to like anything and good riffs I guess you could say slipknot they use like drop B or sometimes even drop a but if you do that its really only good for rhytham unless you have thick strings then you could do a lead without your strings completly flopping all over the place.
almost every heavy metal band uses drop C because of the low evil sound it makes. i know chimaira, devil driver, and children of bodom use drop C. most of the things i write i play on drop C. the lowest i've tuned it drop G# and that was to play invisible kid cause the riffs are catchy. metallica uses drop C on st. anger but no one likes that album except true metallica fans. i like the riffs cause there low heavy and dirty. plus there fun to play to. the drums do annoy me though. three days grace uses drop C on there album one X
jesus is chasing me with a golf club!!!
Quote by IncubusMan999

What about 8 string guitars? I realize the 8th string is naturally an F#, but it you drop that a whole tone you can get Drop E. And I would use it. And i'm pretty sure you can hear it.
^ funny that you mention this. i was reading the first page and remembered that Meshuggah use 8 strings guitars tuned to F.
Quote by z4twenny
^ funny that you mention this. i was reading the first page and remembered that Meshuggah use 8 strings guitars tuned to F.

Haha what a coincidence! I was actually thinking of After the Burial and Meshuggah. I've been trying to find an 8 string... I really want that low end!
Children of Bodom, both the Blooddrunk album and Are You Dead Yet? album are in drop C

P.S. to the bloke that said Slipknot: They tune to C# standard.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Haha what a coincidence! I was actually thinking of After the Burial and Meshuggah. I've been trying to find an 8 string... I really want that low end!

im fairly positive they have to be custom made. personally i'm going to get a 7 string and be happy with that, i can't fathom needing to go lower than drop A

edit: i lied, just google "8 string guitars" ibanez makes them. they're about $1800 usd.
Last edited by z4twenny at Mar 5, 2009,
yeah 8 string guitars are overpriced. ibanez sells them on there site. i might try to tune my guitar down to F tonight for ****s and giggles
jesus is chasing me with a golf club!!!
I don't know about bands other than myn, but I know I have to tune to D standard/Drop C because I have a low voice.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by rebornmaster9
yeah 8 string guitars are overpriced. ibanez sells them on there site. i might try to tune my guitar down to F tonight for ****s and giggles

my 7 will go to F pretty good, just like my 6 will go to B or A#, just the strings are a little loose.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Quote by tertiusoculus

Slipknot usually plays in drop A. On Vol. 3, that was drop B, but all hope is gone is drop A

edit: my bad i wasnt thinking straight. They usually use B, but some songs off all hope are a
Last edited by El_KINGG33 at Apr 29, 2009,
Quote by IncubusMan999

Meshuggah...
Quote by LeperAffinity
Children of Bodom, both the Blooddrunk album and Are You Dead Yet? album are in drop C

P.S. to the bloke that said Slipknot: They tune to C# standard.

C# standard with a dropped B = drop B. the only song they use c# standard is snuff, which is acoustic. Slipknot also uses drop a occaisonally ( B standard with a dropped a leperaffinity) on songs like psychosocial and Gehenna
Quote by rebornmaster9
almost every heavy metal band uses drop C because of the low evil sound it makes. i know chimaira, devil driver, and children of bodom use drop C. most of the things i write i play on drop C. the lowest i've tuned it drop G# and that was to play invisible kid cause the riffs are catchy. metallica uses drop C on st. anger but no one likes that album except true metallica fans. i like the riffs cause there low heavy and dirty. plus there fun to play to. the drums do annoy me though. three days grace uses drop C on there album one X

Wat.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Page 1 of 2