hey guys havnt been on for a while but need some help with choosing new pickups. I have a strat style guitar, alder body, and maple neck. I am looking to have a bridge humbucker, and then two single coils. i play rock, punk and metal mostly but i need something with good cleans as well. the amp iam using is a randall gt series- 75w. i am only looking to spend about $300-350 australian which is about 230-280amercian. any suggestions
are you willing to use your bridge pickup for the distortion and the singles for cleans, or does the bridge humbucker need to be able to get good cleans as well?

Great info otherwise, though.

what bands do you play mostly, by the way?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah o would be looking at using the humbucker in bridge for dist and then the singles for clean. I spoke to a guy at my music shop and he recommended dimarzio evo's for the bridge. Any thoughts?
sorry forgot to mention the bands i play. I like greenday, living end, darkness, Lots of old school rock and heavy, like metallica, poison, def leopard, . just about most things so looking fo versatility.
^ I don't think i'd get evos for that. I haven't tried them, but maybe a dimarzio super distortion or super 3 for the bridge?

the dimarzio virtual vintage singles are meant to be nice, but i haven't tried them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I agree with dave totally on this one, the super distortion def. for the bridge and either the virtual vinatge series singles or maybe a pro track. Dimarzios pickup finder on their site would help you out alot so you might wanna check that out.
what about the tonezone or the paf*pro. These were just another two a guy from my local music shop suggested. the pickup finder always gives you 3 choices ,but only lets you pick for one style, wheras im looking fo versatility.
^ they'd be decent too. a bit more versatile (tone zone) for the bridge, while the paf pro is shreddy (for the neck)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah the guy at the shop said that. He also said they are really good for rock, which i do play a lot of, but would i still get a decent sound if i were to play heavier. I think ive pretty much decided on the single coils its just the bridge i cant decide on. See the problem is ive never heard any of these pickups, and its kind of hard to go somewhere to listen to them.(live in the country). plus i cant get get the sound clips to work on the dimarzio site, so im going to be going on other peoples advice alone.
if u want a good clean sound but a high out put for when ur playing dirty a coil tap mite be the way to go as well, which u can do urself to any humbucker if u can be stuffed, but its proble just easy to buy with the humbucker set up 4 it, personaly i am a seymor man, but the dimz are good pickups as well, i have a strat with a with seymor duncans pearly gates in the bridge which gives me a good sound and a highout put 4 the dirty channel and i find that gives me a good metal tone, it u dont no a coil tap splits ur humbucker so it works as a single coil, theres just somthing elese 4 u to think bout, the pearly gate rrp is 290 but u can pick it up 4 bout 230 240 australian dollars if u shop around, but that myabe a bit over ur price rang
Last edited by big_luke_24 at May 17, 2006,
Quote by GANGAS23
yeah the guy at the shop said that. He also said they are really good for rock, which i do play a lot of, but would i still get a decent sound if i were to play heavier. I think ive pretty much decided on the single coils its just the bridge i cant decide on. See the problem is ive never heard any of these pickups, and its kind of hard to go somewhere to listen to them.(live in the country). plus i cant get get the sound clips to work on the dimarzio site, so im going to be going on other peoples advice alone.

ok, basically:

the tone zone has a lot of bass and mids. It sounds chuggy. it's not super high output, as you say, more hard rock sounding than metal, but it will do metal if your amp has enough gain. It can verge on muddiness because of the large amount of bass, especially in mahogany.

evos are trebly and pretty much aimed at shred. very clear. accentuates every note. If you have good chops, you'll sound awesome, if you don't it'll almost make you sound worse.

Paf pros are similar to evos, but not as high output (and alnico V magnets, so they're warmer sounding). Think the old steve vai tone.

I haven't tried the super distortion or super 3, but I think they're aimed at an 80's hair metal/metal tone- think def leppard/iron maiden. they're ceramic, so the cleans won't be so good.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by big_luke_24
if u want a good clean sound but a high out put for when ur playing dirty a coil tap mite be the way to go as well, which u can do urself to any humbucker if u can be stuffed, but its proble just easy to buy with the humbucker set up 4 it, personaly i am a seymor man, but the dimz are good pickups as well, i have a strat with a with seymor duncans pearly gates in the bridge which gives me a good sound and a highout put 4 the dirty channel and i find that gives me a good metal tone, it u dont no a coil tap splits ur humbucker so it works as a single coil, theres just somthing elese 4 u to think bout, the pearly gate rrp is 290 but u can pick it up 4 bout 230 240 australian dollars if u shop around, but that myabe a bit over ur price rang

its not a coil tap its a coil split theyre two different things
I just recently got a USA PRS tremonti bridge and neck pup....the pups are killer!

I'd definitely look at it for your bridge....it is high output, yet very very versatile.....the cleans are easily the best out of all the high output pups I've played. Slays the JB I had 20 times over.
probably not too easy to get PRS pickups into australia though i saw a set on ebay a while back
Quote by GANGAS23
I'm gonna be your saviour for a moment.

Check out the myspace link in my sig. Listen to the song "Sonic Elation".

For the rythm guitar I'm using a Super Distortion on a 1990 Ibanez 540R through a Boss DS-1. The lead guitar is using a Tone Zone on a guitar I built with a JS body and Wizard I neck through a Boss MT-2. Both guitars are basswood bodies. The necks are both maple. Both use an original Ibanez Edge bridge.

You'll get to hear both pickups in one song

Edit - Oh and on that recording I kept the distortion levels pretty low on the pedals. Like 6 - 7 max. I think the DS-1 was even turned as low as 5. So you can hear both these pickups are VERY hot. The tonezone is weaker than the super distortion but not by much and it sounds soooo much better IMO.
Last edited by garett at May 18, 2006,