Page 1 of 2
How is this guitar? It looks pretty cool and is a decent price. How are the pickups? Does it have a nice tone?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Looks pretty sweet, I saw the add in Guitar World. Probably not the greatest guitar around, but it's probably O.K. I like how the sides look like they're stacked.
Les Paul Menace
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Last edited by edwardthegreat5 at May 16, 2006,
Heh. I saw it in Guitar Player. I'm looking at buying a new electric, and I'm just wondering if this thing would be any good. Has anyone tried it? If so, how does it compare to the Gibson Les Paul Studio?

Yeah-I like the body routings too. I'm worried that they'd take tone away though.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Compared to an LP studio, the Studio is sh.it in my opinion
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
So you've tried the LP Menace? How was the sound? Are the pickups good and versatile?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Well no I havent really tried it...But I prefer it...I dont even think it's out yet...I just like how it looks, and how the pickups are smoky coiled as stated in the Gibson website
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

What does "smokey coiled" mean? I figured it was just a gimmick...is there actually a difference?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I figure it means higher output

That's what I was thinking as well...

Has anyone here actually tried this guitar?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
All low end gibsons are terrible.

Get yourself an epiphone elite. They sound nearly as good as Gibson Standards imo.

The lowest priced decent Gibson is the lest Paul Classic. The Les Paul Studio and SG Standard are some of the most worthless sounding guitars on earth.

Low end gibsons are for people who care more about the name on the headstock than tone and playability.
^Congratulations. That's the most idiotic thing I've heard this morning.

The Studio and Standard are the same-aside from the cosmetic upgrades and better pickups on the standard.

Have you tried ALL low-end Gibsons? I mean...every single one? Wow. That's impressive. Obviously it would have taken you a long time, as there are thousands of Gibson guitars that are under the $1700 that the Classic costs. Now, does Gibson send the guitars to you first to try out, or do you just travel the world playing every lower priced Gibson ever made?

Don't worry. I'm not doing this to humiliate you, but to show you that if you make stupid, unfound remarks, you will be utterly pwned.

NOW. Has anyone ACTUALLY TRIED this guitar? I mean sat down at a guitar store and played it?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Ihearthetfield
All low end gibsons are terrible.
The lowest priced decent Gibson is the lest Paul Classic. The Les Paul Studio and SG Standard are some of the most worthless sounding guitars on earth.

Low end gibsons are for people who care more about the name on the headstock than tone and playability.

You sir, are a fücking idiot. Take a look at the specs on both the LP Studio and the LP Classic. They're the same guitar with only the finish and binding being different. I think the Classic may also have the thinner 60s neck whereas the Studio has the fatter 50s neck. Otherwise, they have no difference in hardware, materials, construction, or quality. The only difference between the Classic and the Standard is the Standard has the more expensive figured maple top and Burstbuckers.

Get your head out of your ass. It's not because one guitar looks better or costs more that it's «better» than the other.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Last edited by Crunchmeister at May 16, 2006,
damn thats way to expensive for that, but it's a sweet guitar
My Gear
Fender Jagstang
Squier Strat
Crate 120w 212XR
Danelectro Fab Chorus
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Fender DG-100 Aucoustic
How is $860 too expensive for a Gibson? That's about as cheap as it gets for Gibson. You'll pay almost that much for an Epiphone LP Custom.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

^Not only a Gibson, but a Gibson with a Gibson hardshell case. Subtract the hardshell case and you're at about the same price as an Epi LP Custom-which doesn't come with a case. That's one of the reasons I'm looking at this thing. Good price, looks pretty cool, and from the description, is made with decent stuff.

I just wish there was someone on here who's tried one. Maybe they're too new.

Also, ihearhetfield, Crunchmeister pwned you. I just thought you should know that.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
The Menace is a compltely new model. It's built to the same specs as the the LP Classic / Studio. Only obvious changes are cosmetic. I couldn't see this being a bad guitar. I wouldn't buy any Gibson without playing it first because I'm really picky about their tone, but if I played it, I wouldn't have any hesitation in buying it.

Woah! I figured it would be based on like the LP Special's specs...but the STUDIO'S?!?! For $850?!?!

Do you think the "tribal body routings" affect the tone at all?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I don't think the routings will have any appreciable impact on the tone. The only thing I dislike about this guitar cosmetically is the fretboard. They list it as ebony, but it looks more like rosewood to me. Even the pics on the Gibson site make it look like dyed rosewood or just low-grade ebony. Could be just the pictures though...

I'll only be able to tell if I actually see one. It would make it an ever sweeter deal if it's some nice ebony...
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Visited the local store last weekend, it sold out the first week it was out. Nice specs, I've played my friend's SG Standard, which has the same 490R and 498T buckers and those buckers were pretty good. The mahogany body + maple top will give it that distinctive Gibson bucker sound. The price on the Menace is actually pretty attractive ... however, it will probably take a few months before those stay long enough at the stores for people to play them for a bit.

*can't wait to try it out*
^Neither can I. If I like it, I may just buy it. For a Gibson with specs like that $850 is a great price.

I also like that it looks a bit different. Everyone seems to have a Les Paul, but I doubt a ton of people will have a Menace.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Looks like Gibsons trying to do something new. Apeal to the rich emo kids who think they r t3h m3Tal! It's not what Gibson is about, They should stick to what they are good at.
whats that headstock say? can anyone get a good zoom on the logo?

This looks pretty cool.

EDIT: it does say gibson, but its one crazy new kind of logo.

Last edited by davidp313 at May 16, 2006,
It says "Gibson"

I saw one at the MusikMesse. Here's a pic, and it looks like Rosewood:
It'd be a really nice guitar if it wasn't for that damn brass colouring. It's the biggest turn-off ever.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Tarzan_man
Looks like Gibsons trying to do something new. Apeal to the rich emo kids who think they r t3h m3Tal! It's not what Gibson is about, They should stick to what they are good at.

It does kind of look like that cosmetically, but it has the same pickups as Gibson Les Paul Custom, except "smoky," whatever that means. It looks like a nice guitar, better looking than a Studio in my opinion.
Quote by Danno13
^I hate the ripples in the side more, the brass can be changed.

Not on the inlay it can't

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix

Theanswer to all life's problems!

Indeed. It's man's best friend next to the dog...

This guitar is designed for heavy distortions. VERY HEAVY DISTORTION. The pickups will sound like pure **** clean. One of the sales staff at the Gibson Showcase was playing one, clean sounded like pure **** on a stick lol. Distorted sounded loud!! VERY LOUD!! I wouldn't go for it. And it is closer to the Specials specs than the Studios FYI!
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
It has mahogny body with maple top. Same as studio. Special has no maple top. The width of the neck is the same as studio, but thicker than special. The pups are same on studio on special, while menace has other. So tell me then, other than the fretboard being ebony, what are the similarities between special and menace?? ^^
Quote by Crunchmeister
Indeed. It's man's best friend next to the dog...

A dog wrapped in duct tape.

The ultimate christmas present.

My Music
Quote by onemanarmy9
This guitar is designed for heavy distortions. VERY HEAVY DISTORTION. The pickups will sound like pure **** clean. One of the sales staff at the Gibson Showcase was playing one, clean sounded like pure **** on a stick lol. Distorted sounded loud!! VERY LOUD!! I wouldn't go for it. And it is closer to the Specials specs than the Studios FYI!

Dude. Actually take the time to look up the specs of the said guitar before shooting off your mouth (fingers). If you don't know what you're talking about, which you're made it abundantly clear that you don't, maybe a little research o Gibson.com would be in order.

^^ I did look at the Gibson Website, I had the wrong guitar up for comparison (I thought I had the special up, I had the studio up). I'm sorry about that. Now, as for the actual sound info I gave, that was first hand, so anyone that dare to say I'm wrong can go **** themself. I heard that guitar first hand, that was my impression of it. Also, I tried to play one (for fun) for the total of 30 seconds I had it in my hands, it felt very thick at the neck (probably should have mentioned that). Anyway, Sorry for the minimal misinformation I gave, but you don't have to go ****ing nuclear on me!! Especially since none of you have actually seen this guitar first hand before (at least that's what your posts say)!!
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Ashdown Fallen Angel
ESP Phoenix
Last edited by onemanarmy9 at May 16, 2006,
^Read Crunches post!! He's taking shots at me left right and centre. That's what I was stating there (it pissed me off, just like this post, I'm not entirely paraniod, only slightly lol!!)
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Ashdown Fallen Angel
ESP Phoenix
Page 1 of 2