Just curious as to how good Jackson guitars are and I'm also curious as to which model you guys believe to be a great model.
Lowest end ones: meh

mid end ones: as lnog as it doesn't have a trem it's okay

USA ones: insanely overpriced and IMO an Ibanez JEM > a USA Soloist in terms of quality.

And I have played Jacksons from ALL those price levels.
haha
i would say the mid range are awsome guitars and high ends are better in the sense of pickups...

i have a DK2 and must say it rocks. feels great and plays just as good as the high end jackson...

either wya you cant go wrong with a Jackson.. pick one you like and try it out...
I have a DKMGT and it slays. But I do have to upgrade the pups.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Lowest end ones: meh

mid end ones: as lnog as it doesn't have a trem it's okay

USA ones: insanely overpriced and IMO an Ibanez JEM > a USA Soloist in terms of quality.

And I have played Jacksons from ALL those price levels.

The jackson trems are fine. I really don't get the gripe.

And as far as I've played, the SL-1 and DK-1 absolutely slay JEMs. I don't understand what is so overpriced about an $1800 guitar.. If THAT is insane, what are Gibsons? lol

Ibanez fanboys, always thinking their cheap guitars are totally lyke teh best!@11

I've owned a DK-2 and it absolutely kicked ass. A pickup change was all it needed, and at a good $300 less than a RG157x I was pleasantly suprised. Top build quality, fast neck (fastest I've played on a $350-$450 guitar!) and the only thing that is questionable is the tremelo (only if you abuse your guitar. I mean like.. you're rough with it, not trem wankery) and pickups (duncan designed..) but a set of pickups and an OFR later.. and you're basically playing a DK-1. Not bad, eh?

I love jacksons, someday I hope to own a sweeeeet SL-1 with a nice set of BKP and an awesome inlay/graphic on it. It will rock thy face off.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at May 16, 2006,
I play a customized Kelly KE3, it's probably the best guitar in the price range (600-1000$) I've ever played in my life, and I've played quite a bunch of guitars. Low end Jacksons are pretty good as well imo, and Jackson Soloists are a freaking BOMB. I won't go as far as comparing them to JEM's or high-end RG's, or comparing them to anything at all - honestly I think it's all just a matter of preference up there, but it's definitely well-worth the money. I'm actually hoping to upgrade to a Jackson Soloist as soon as I have the cash for that myself.

edit: oops, how the hell did i typo that - i have a KE3, not KE2
Last edited by ar73m at May 16, 2006,
well i've had a dinky pro for around 15 years now and its still goin strong.
unlike the other guitars ive had in between.
so i would say they are really good.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

USA ones: insanely overpriced

and jems aren't?
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
I'd pick an Ibanez over a Jackson anytime. In terms of price, playabililty and everything in general, Ibanez guitars are probably more superior as great stock guitars. Jackson guitars on the other hand, need a lot of modifying
My Gear:

Ibanez RG450LTDBC
Boss GT-8
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Behringer guitar
Behringer V-Tone GM108 Amp
...and my fingers.

Quote by unfathomable_bo
At a Nile gig when some guy shouted "Egypt is gay!"

^^
Jem slays any jackson out there. USA made Guitars arent what they use to be.....

Check out the Gibson les paul, i tried out a Standard in Cherry burst, the neck slightly bend more back so the whole guitar's intonation was just horrible. They said i'll fix it i was like, let me try the other standard in ice tea instead. but he still did it and i had two les pauls next to me to test out.

Wow i heard also pieces fall out of les pauls. Well there goes our more famous USA brand Gibson.
I don't think this is a very valid arguement. I never played a JEM, but I played some other high-end Ibanez' out there, and I've had my fingers for at least a few days on pretty much every Jackson in the world, and I can tell this much - Jackson's don't suck. They're somewhat different from the Ibanez, the 'feel' of the guitar is different... Is it better or worse, that's really a matter of personal taste.

I can say this much: every Jackson I played was well worth the price tag on it.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Low end Jacksons aren't that great. They're cheaply built, and I've yet to hear anything good about them from anyone other than noobs. I think that for the money, they're not very good guitars. You can do better elsewhere.

The mid-range and high end import models are ok guitar. I think they're fairly priced too. Although I much prefer the pre-Fender models. The new Fender models feel a lot cheaper to me. Back a coupel of years ago after Fender bought them out, I was at Steve Music in Ottawa the day that they just received their first batch of new Fender-era Jacksons, but still had a lot of the old 'equivalent' models in stock. I compared a couple of models side-by-side, and without failiure, the old models both felt and sounded a lot better. I personalyl wouldn't buy a new import Jackson.

High end USA Jacksons are good guitars, but they're getting too expensive for what you get. Since Fender took over, prices have increased significantly on their American models, but there have been no improvements on the guitars. They're great guitars, but a little too expensive.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Firstly, USA Jacksons are fairly priced. Stop comparing the price Ibanez's that come off assembly lines to hand crafted Jacksons. I've played all level Ibanez's and Jacksons (except a J-Custom) and I can and will say that an SL1, SL2H or SLATQH murders every Ibanez I have ever played including JEMs. But thats just my two cents. Oh and the Jackson hedstok will stab teh banez horsie headst0ck.
Quote by Davidian
They are good, but there is one thing that makes jackson sub par to allot of guitars in my opinion:

The way they make the heel of the guitar, its so primitive.

Agreed. If they could make neck thru guitars like say Ibanez or ESP, even if it raised the prices a bit, then they would sell tons more... I would defentialy buy one. It's just that damn heel that turns me away from most Jacksons.
oh snake i played a j-custom. It pwnz all guitars out there. Same with ESP's other stuff only available in Japan. As i said USA Models arent what they use to be! also agreeing with Crunch more since i love his opinions/answers/etc. (GO TEH CRUNCHNESS!)

USA soloist is at good price? Its about much a LEs paul can cost just little few more bucks on it. Seriously....

and im not sure about i baked cookies, since the AANJ is just like a neckthrough guitar and even better i bet. (+1 since if it breaks, easier fix, and replacement of the neck if u can)
Quote by ar73m
I don't think this is a very valid arguement. I never played a JEM, but I played some other high-end Ibanez' out there, and I've had my fingers for at least a few days on pretty much every Jackson in the world, and I can tell this much - Jackson's don't suck. They're somewhat different from the Ibanez, the 'feel' of the guitar is different... Is it better or worse, that's really a matter of personal taste.

I can say this much: every Jackson I played was well worth the price tag on it.

I agree, Jacksons have a feel that Ibanez don't.
I should add that I haven't yet seen a Fender-era USA Jackson, so I can't comment on them directly. My experience is based on older USA Jacksons. I used to own an RR1 and it was a fantastic guitar.

We don't have a local Jackson dealer, so they're not very common around here. I'm looking forward to trying them out.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Oh Puhleeeze!

No guitar "pwns" any other guitar.

What a lot of blather.

I've tried JEMS and Jacksons and others. Personally I found them both to be
ordinary, assembly-line. lifeless guitars with high pricetags. But, I'm not so
concieted or self-important to think someone else might not find something they
really love about them that I don't.
Quote by Sn^ke
Firstly, USA Jacksons are fairly priced. Stop comparing the price Ibanez's that come off assembly lines to hand crafted Jacksons. I've played all level Ibanez's and Jacksons (except a J-Custom) and I can and will say that an SL1, SL2H or SLATQH murders every Ibanez I have ever played including JEMs. But thats just my two cents. Oh and the Jackson hedstok will stab teh banez horsie headst0ck.

+600000000000000000

And jackson DO make neck-thru and set-neck guitars. Thats one of the bonuses of buying their most expensive models in the series. And the Soloist murders every Ibanez I've played INCLUDING J-customs (three!)

The only bogus neck joins are on their V's, the rest of them have a weird recess on the back. No, they arent an AANJ, but they're just as comfortable. If you bitch about a neck joint on a V you should get kicked in the dick. Gah. Who has to bitch about neck joints when they have that much of a cutaway anyhow? Some people just whine and whine and whine.. sheesh.

EDIT:

If you break your neck-thru guitar you're an idiot for breaking it. Necks don't magically break unless you throw your guitar or something.. In which case you don't deserve a nice sweet $2,000 piece of wood, anyway. Jackson also makes supreme bolt-ons such as the Dinky series, which absolutely owns face with the DK-1. Game Set Match. pwnt.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Necks don't magically break unless you throw your guitar or something.. In which case you don't deserve a nice sweet $2,000 piece of wood, anyway. Jackson also makes supreme bolt-ons such as the Dinky series, which absolutely owns face with the DK-1. Game Set Match. pwnt.

**** happens, dude. I had a 1978 custom Lado H3 neck thru fall from its stand and had the headstock snap off. I had a friend (bandmate) with a nice USA Soloist snap his neck. Contrary to my warnings to get strap locks (his strap alwasy came off), he insisted his guitar would never fall. Well we were playing a gig, and his strap came off, snapping the neck.

**** happens, and it's not always the owner's fault.

decent guitar make..
the looks are preferred for hard metallers and sound fantastic!
Main quips
Marshall MG100DFX
Squier Affinity
Digitech RP200A
Givson acoustic copy

elo ther.
Quote by Crunchmeister
**** happens, dude. I had a 1978 custom Lado H3 neck thru fall from its stand and had the headstock snap off. I had a friend (bandmate) with a nice USA Soloist snap his neck. Contrary to my warnings to get strap locks (his strap alwasy came off), he insisted his guitar would never fall. Well we were playing a gig, and his strap came off, snapping the neck.

**** happens, and it's not always the owner's fault.

Ah. Expensive guitar = hard case. Practice guitar = stand.

I wouldn't be playing my soloist without straplocks, I hardly play my STRAT without straplocks. Its just a staple of life for me now, I have one strap and I switch between guitars. Usually it works out well?

If you're worried about breaking your neck, buy a dinky soy ou can get a replacement? lol
Well, I always stored my guitar in its case except while I was using it. During breaks in practice, I would put it on the stand. My dog came downstairs and bumped the guitar knocking it over.... **** happens...

I love my Jackson dinky as it's just what i wanted for a guitar when i first bought it. Its well built, has a pretty good neck and generally good value for money. One thing though...The licenced locking trems absolutly SUCK. It wore out after less than a year of having it, making it hopeless to keep in tune. I had to use a tremsetter to fix it as i cant afford an OFR right now
Quote by Crunchmeister
Well, I always stored my guitar in its case except while I was using it. During breaks in practice, I would put it on the stand. My dog came downstairs and bumped the guitar knocking it over.... **** happens...

THAT does suck. Didn't mean to sound like a dick or anything, but the usual accidents can be helped by being careful. In the unlikely event that you break a neck-thru.. well, that just sucks. You could probably fix it if you REALLY wanted to... but I don't think ti would ever be the same knowing you killed your favorite axe.

Get a dinky!
If I bought a neck-thru, I'd get one of them stands with the headstock holders.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
THAT does suck. Didn't mean to sound like a dick or anything, but the usual accidents can be helped by being careful. In the unlikely event that you break a neck-thru.. well, that just sucks. You could probably fix it if you REALLY wanted to... but I don't think ti would ever be the same knowing you killed your favorite axe.

Get a dinky!

I always was really careful. I didn't even allow my dog in the basement because of the gear there (imagine the dog cocking a leg and taking a piss on my Mesa Mk III, pedalboard, etc...) Our drummer went upstairs to grab a beer, and left the door open. The dog came running downstairs and bumped the guitar.

It was actually several years before I got the guitar replaced. I contacted Lado to see if they could repair it, and they game me 2 options. First was to cut the neck at a sharp angle and essentially glue on a new 1/2 neck for the cost of $1200 Cdn, or repair the headstock (with warning that it wouldn't be as solid as before) and pain the entire guitar (which was a natural wood finish) for $750.

I had a luthier I know repair, repaint, and load it up with new pickups and hardware for $500. He did a bang-up job on it and it looked flawless, but it was never the same again. I eventually sold the guitar to help finance the purchase of my ESP Explorer.

Quote by Crunchmeister
I always was really careful. I didn't even allow my dog in the basement because of the gear there (imagine the dog cocking a leg and taking a piss on my Mesa Mk III, pedalboard, etc...) Our drummer went upstairs to grab a beer, and left the door open. The dog came running downstairs and bumped the guitar.

It was actually several years before I got the guitar replaced. I contacted Lado to see if they could repair it, and they game me 2 options. First was to cut the neck at a sharp angle and essentially glue on a new 1/2 neck for the cost of $1200 Cdn, or repair the headstock (with warning that it wouldn't be as solid as before) and pain the entire guitar (which was a natural wood finish) for $750.

I had a luthier I know repair, repaint, and load it up with new pickups and hardware for $500. He did a bang-up job on it and it looked flawless, but it was never the same again. I eventually sold the guitar to help finance the purchase of my ESP Explorer.

What a sad sad story. At least it went towards another kickass guitar, though. I've always wanted an explorer.. Maybe after I work my way through a couple others I'll pick one up, I absolutely love em.

I don't have to worry about big dogs, just a few felines.. But they sleep in my ****in guitar cases if they're left open!@!!1 gah. Imagine white cat hair everywhere! I've used about a dozen lint rollers getting all that hair out over the six years I've played bass and guitar.

If I ever broke one of my guitars I would be destroyed... I take meticulous care of my things, though, I think I got it from my grandfather who takes care of everything he owns, including his vintage gibson hollowbody and amp...cars..boat..house.. everything pretty much. Some things are unavoidable, but I'd say its definitely not a plus to having an instrument on the 'just in case' that you'll break the **** out of your guitar... That shouldn't make or break a decision on buying your instrument.

Personally I'd fix it myself anyway if the headstock broke, neck.. I couldn't do an entire neck, but the headstock yeah.
I'd say the midrange ones are better than equivalent Ibanez. But it's a pretty close run thing
i just bought a jackson sl3 soloist and i cannot think of a single compaint, i have no idea how to make this guitar nicer. i compared it right next to several ibanezs and it wasnt even a question. its a japanese one though not american, and i love it
Vocals Wanted For:
Tool-Sober, Aenema
Led Zeppelin-The Ocean
Audioslave-Cochise
Sublime-Santeria
Rush-Tom Sawyer, Fly By Night, Limelight
Assorted Original Acoustics

PM if interested
my jackson is a $400 US(DXMGT). it's built like a tank, its been damaged unintentionally a few times. dropped more then once on accident, and the neck has never snapped. the 3rd day i had it, the headstock got ran into the wall. theres just a slight scuff where it made contact. i'm probably the clumsiest and most unlucky person when it comes to things and my guitar has survived all of its unintentional abuse.

being that its not a high end jackson the pickups in it aren't amazing (emg-hz's) and its a bolt on. but i love the neck! i don't care that theres a huge block where the neck mounts to the body either...mostly cause my hands are pretty huge and my fingers stretch apart very well.

compared to my friends ibanez that he got for about the same price...he got more for his money. but would i take his guitar over mine? no..it has a different feel that i don't like.