Are EMGs good for more than just metal? I don't really play a ton of metal, but a guitar I'm looking at buying has EMGs on it(specifically Zakk Wylde EMG humbuckers). I'm just curious if they can put out more than just metal distortion. I don't have any experience with EMGs, so I don't know what kind of sound you can get from them.

Would they work well for more alternative and punk stuff, or would they absolutely suck for those?

Also, how are the clean sounds from them? Can I get a nice clean sound with the neck pickup?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
EMG 60s = AWESOME cleans

But other than that, EMGs really are metal pickups. Different pickups for differet things. Do any alt or punk bands you like play with EMG's? That should suggest something....
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
EMGs are set more for metal. Whats the guitar you're looking at? Also I would HIGHLY look into a different amp before spending alot of money on a guitar.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Well, you don't have to use them for metal. I get a pretty sweet classic rock tone from my bridge 81, slightly overdriven kind of deal. I get a great clean tone from my neck 81, too. nice and smooth
i had a guitar with EMG and i must say i got some killer tones outta of it not just metal. depends on how you tweak your amp settings.,...
Yeah I run the EMGs with the gain on my clean channel all the way up to get a nice classic tone, whereas with any other pickup I have I've gotta run my crunch channel to get a classic tone.. I get a great distorted tone pretty much through and through, for anything from hard rock (STP, Alice in Chains) to grinding, pounding, brutal death metal (cryptopsy, dying fetus, necrophagist, whatever)
the cleans are a bit patchy in my experience. my 60 (neck) has helped, but i still get a bit of crunch when i hit the strings hard on neck pickup alone. The emg 81 bridge clean is underrated. It's not particularly good, but it's more useful the people make it out to be. As for altrock sounds, just get the right amp or preset or whatever. If you use a mesa sound, its gonna sound metal. Use a medium gain marshall and it might sound alt. Try one of the guitars first I say.
Quote by snave2008
i sir totally agree with every word you just said .
I was watching Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival, and if memory serves me correctly, there was a blues rocker sporting EMGs.

Then again, he was on an SA set. A little different from the typical EMG humbuckers.

Basically, there are more to EMGs than just metal pickups.
EMGs have a totally great clean. You people must be jacking the volume too high. You always have to turn the volume down to get a nice clean tone with your PUs even with the distortion off.
there great pickups

the 81/85 set up might be a lil too much output for a alt rock

but turn down the guitar and have the right amp
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Thanks for the info everyone. Here's the guitar I'm looking at. A Boogie Street Washburn custom. I love the trans black flame top.

http://www.boogiestreet.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=63&category_id=22&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1

I'll try other guitars with EMG's today if I can.

As for my amp, I just bought it and I like it. I'm not upgrading any time soon.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Well no offense or anything but odds are you won't be able to get any tone you want with the EMGs, I wouldn't spend $850 on a new guitar while I still had an MG

*EDIT*

Also since you just got it you might be able to return it and get all your money back. Then you could take that money plus whatever you had for a guitar and buy a really really nice amp. I would at least return it before you can't and try some other amps then if you really like the beebox you can buy it again if you don't find any other amps that you like. I thought my Spider 2 was a good amp too before I heard a real amp and then I never looked back
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Last edited by CodySG at May 16, 2006,
EMGs are definately geared for hard rock and metal. No doubt about that. But they can do other styles of music too. It all depends on which pickups you have. The 85 is not the best choice for a neck pickup for versatility. a 60 would suit the guitar better and give you better tones.

That being said, I've seen EMG-loaded guitars used for all styles of music. I tried a nice Gibson hollowbody loaded with dual EMG 60s and this thing has KILLER jazz tone (the owner plays in a jazz band). I've played a 70s Fender Telecaster loaded with EMG SA. It's owner plays in a country band thru a vintage Fender Twin, and gets awesome country / bluesy twangs out of it. I used to have SAs in a Fender Strat and could get all kinds of cool tones out of it. Even David Gilmore (Pink Floyd) uses EMGs and has his own custom set - http://www.emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Guitar&categoryid=11&catalogid=56
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I don't know what the "Zakk Wylde EMG Humbuckers" are-that's all it says in the guitar's description. Are there specific EMG's named that, or do they just not have the name right? Obviously I can't go and try the guitar with the EMG's, because it would have to be ordered.

Do any of you guys know what the Zakk Wylde EMG's are?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
ZW EMGs are just the 81 and 85 sold together as a set. As an extra, they include 4 long-shaft pots (as well as 4 regular pots) that are required for fitting into a Gibson Les Paul. That Washburn lists them as ZW pickups because that Washburn is the guitar Nick Catanese of BLS plays, and he uses the same pickups as Zakk.

And BTW, Boogie Street is a great store. Eric, the owner, is a member over at the BLS boards and he's a staight up dude.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Ok, thanks a lot. I'm really considering picking that one up. It's a nice looking guitar!
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Mark Knopfler (sp?) uses them in some of his Pensa customs, and he plays a jazz influnced brand of blues rock, so they can't be that metally. I'm still getting single coils in my next guitar, though.
^ I was just going to say that.

In his first Pensa Suhr he had, he had an 85/SA/SA combo. Also Dave Gilmour has used an SA set throughout the late 80s and 90s (Division Bell era also).
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Thanks for the info. Really, I'm looking at it like this; if I like them, I just got a great custom guitar. If I don't, I can ebay them and buy other pickups and still have an awesome custom guitar.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar