I am in the process of purchasing a new guitar for tuning down. What i want to know is if it is possible to tune to drop C (drop D and one step down) and just put a capo on the second fret to play Drop D as well? This would save a lot of pain in my arse...
Quote by mat3305
wow drop C? what are u playing?

Maybe old System of A Down Mr. SOAD avatar?

That's work fine but you would lose a couple of frets up the top, but probably not a huge concern.
old soad was never drop down C! it was just raly bassy drop D!
your thinking of like arch enemy(eww death metal) or somthing.
J. MASCIS IS GOD!

Quote by Arthur Curry
Take E. You'll be a dancing fool in no time.

EDIT: Seriously.
Quote by mat3305
old soad was never drop down C! it was just raly bassy drop D!
your thinking of like arch enemy(eww death metal) or somthing.

Played Ariels lately? That's not even that old, Toxicity was mostly (if not all) in drop C.
st anger is in drop c
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
old SOAD (Sugar,Aerials,Toxicity,Chop Suey to name a few) are all in Drop C
to Dave, yeah you could, but if you have an extra guitar why dont you tune that one to D and the new one to C?

to Mat, SoaD is C not D, and what is so wrong with Death Metal? Alot Death Metal guitarists are alot better than any other genre guitarists out there. If you like solos, then you need to hate the Guitarist of SoaD because he said on a guitar website (video interveiw) that the reason he doesnt do solos much if at all is because he feels that they are unnessecary.
drop C is where metal begins (i play in B alot, and one guitarist in my band drops to A), but yeah, a capo isnt a bad idea, because although your guitar would sound like it was in D, it would still have that loose, growly, drop-C feel. the only bad thing about it is if you're soloing, you wont have all 24 frets, (not that we all use them anyway,) but thats another story. of course, if youre real serious you'd have one guitar tuned to drop D and the other to drop C, and just forget the capo.
Basically every metalcore band plays in drop-C
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Yeah i used to do that with my old guitar, all of toxicity is in drop C, and self titled and steal this album were also in drop C
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT